How is my football routine

True74Seneca

Hey, im starting a new routine for football and want to see what you guys think.

Monday
Power Clean 5x5 superset Front&Side Raises 3x12 50% to 70%
Squats 15 45%,12 50%,10 55% ,8 60%
Bench 15,12,10,8 same percentage as Squats
Hex bar deadlift 3x10
Dumbbell Incline 3x12,10,8
Military Press 3x10

WED
Push Jerks 4x5 superset Front&Side Raises 3x12
Front Squats 4x6
Inclines 4x5
Bent Over Rows 4x5
Good Mornings 3x10

FRI
Hang Clean 5x5 45% to 60%
Squats 5x5 50% to 80%
Bench 5x5 50% to 80%
Stiff Leg Deadlifts 3x10
Dumbbell Bench 3x12,10,8
Dumbbell Military 3x12,10,8

I do not take credit for this routine, i found it at Wanna Be Big Fourms. Posted by kingkong51.

When i get my license in about a month and it gets warmer out, im planning on going to the football field in the morning before school to run sprints and do plyo work. Im going to either get a parachute or a tire with a big band on the end so i can work on my burst.

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
Looks good what position you play theres tons of drills you probally know besides lifting that help a ton.

True74Seneca

i play Center, Guard, and Tackle on offense and Tackle and End on Defense.

jtp217

jtp217

Awards
This is just my opinion but you don't need to everything everyday.

Day 1-
Squats
Military Press
Power Clean

Day 2-
Bench
Pullups
DB Bench
BB Rows

Day 3-
Front Squat
Snatch
GHR
DB Shoulder Press

dukeshavenfarms

Awards
As a lineman make sure to work in some shrugs whether it be regular shrugs or power shrugs, I like power shrugs good for explosiveness. As a lineman on your punch you develop a lot of it from your traps and back so you want to focus on that. Footspeed is key make sure you are working on footspeed drills like the dot drill and running bags. As a lineman you don't run 40 yds at a time just worry about explosiveness. Also Jtp's switching of your routine is better, split your muscle groups up some more. Focus on form and don't forget to stretch flexibility keeps you from injury!

hitsquaddd

hitsquaddd

Awards
Okay, so I've played football for highschool and know a thing or two about training specifically for it. I started varsity my soph year as a guard/defensive end (sorry if I sound like a pompous douche). But this is the workout that I followed that really helped with my explosiveness.

The workouts are pyramided, talk to your strength and conditioning coach about how you should set it up if you plan to.

MONDAYS
Squats (king of lower body exercises man, and it helps your driving strength durh)
Incline Bench (the use of an upward angle helps you pop the mother f*cker's head up when you engage)
Hammer Jammers (same as above, just more useful)

Tuesdays
Tire flips/Cardio

WEDNESDAYS
Snatches (great way to increase explosiveness and get into the routine of getting low)
Barbell Deadlifts (just a great way to enhance overall explosiveness)
Single Leg Squats (great balance and individual leg drive)

THURSDAYS
Ladder drills/Cardio

FRIDAYS
Hangcleans (the most taxing exercise in my opinion, it helped me out like hell for football. and once I started to clean, my 40 time went from 5.1 to 4.6 - no lie. plus, the functional movement can be applied more to football then that of a power clean when engaged)
Military Presses (just cause lol)
Flat Bench

Add more workouts if you feel the need to, but this was the base of my program back when I played and it was intense, dreadful, but helpful as hell. If you decide to follow this basic outline, you won't regret it. Good luck man.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
do jammers for shoulder problems rest of ur life it sucks! stay away from it.

JDK5386

Hey, im starting a new routine for football and want to see what you guys think.

Monday
Power Clean 5x5 superset Front&Side Raises 3x12 50% to 70%
Squats 15 45%,12 50%,10 55% ,8 60%
Bench 15,12,10,8 same percentage as Squats
Hex bar deadlift 3x10
Dumbbell Incline 3x12,10,8
Military Press 3x10

WED
Push Jerks 4x5 superset Front&Side Raises 3x12
Front Squats 4x6
Inclines 4x5
Bent Over Rows 4x5
Good Mornings 3x10

FRI
Hang Clean 5x5 45% to 60%
Squats 5x5 50% to 80%
Bench 5x5 50% to 80%
Stiff Leg Deadlifts 3x10
Dumbbell Bench 3x12,10,8
Dumbbell Military 3x12,10,8

I do not take credit for this routine, i found it at Wanna Be Big Fourms. Posted by kingkong51.

When i get my license in about a month and it gets warmer out, im planning on going to the football field in the morning before school to run sprints and do plyo work. Im going to either get a parachute or a tire with a big band on the end so i can work on my burst.

I personally would avoid high-risk lifts like cleans and jerks because they're not going to add that much value relative to similar lifts for a fairly significant risk of injury. I believe it was the Jaguars that fired their conditioning coach about 3-4 years ago for having the lineman emphasize cleans and jerks; at one point, they had 4/5 starting lineman out with back injuries :)rolleyes: ).

Squats, OTOH, are probably the single most valuable lift for a lineman and have almost no risk of serious injury provided that you keep your head up.

Parachute work may add value, but I'd also do things like repeatedly practicing exploding out of your stance and driving a dummy or sled for, say, 3-5 seconds, then resetting with no rest. Emphasize exploding out of your stance and driving hard for the first 3-5 seconds; you'll need more than that come game time, but if you win here and get their momentum moving backwards, the rest is easy.

phenom9950

Awards
start doing your reasearch, alots wrong with the program... if this is off season, youll be back on the field soon for spring training. Be careful of the lower back, get on the glute ham raises now, Do some Heavy box squating... for olineman and Dline especially interior, heavy box squating is bigtime. Cleans are fun, and good for explosivness, but i would remove the friday cleans, and hit 6 sets of DL instead of 3 so you have the weekend to rest the lowerback.

i will be pompus... if you play highschool college or pro... you should be doing 4 days a week lift no matter what. upper lower split, sprint and conditioning on different times, or right after the workout or before it doesnt matter. Keep your footwork up bro, olineman, neeeed good footwork. I would say to sprint on leg days, so you will only be firing your quick twich, dont strech before only warm up. strech at night or after your done all of your workouts. GOOD LUCK! :)

Last edited:

dukeshavenfarms

Awards
start doing your reasearch, alots wrong with the program... if this is off season, youll be back on the field soon for spring training. Be careful of the lower back, get on the glute ham raises now, Do some Heavy box squating... for olineman and Dline especially interior, heavy box squating is bigtime. Cleans are fun, and good for explosivness, but i would remove the friday cleans, and hit 6 sets of DL instead of 3 so you have the weekend to rest the lowerback.

i will be pompus... if you play highschool college or pro... you should be doing 4 days a week lift no matter what. upper lower split, sprint and conditioning on different times, or right after the workout or before it doesnt matter. Keep your footwork up bro, olineman, neeeed good footwork. I would say to sprint on leg days, so you will only be firing your quick twich, dont strech before only warm up. strech at night or after your done all of your workouts. GOOD LUCK! :)
He is exactly right and I know what he means. With box squats make sure that when you are coming up off the box you are exploding and throwing your hips out. If you are taller(above6'3) raise the box some so you won't be going too low. Deads are huge for an olineman to build that power. In college we did pin pulls which were like deadlifts but we had the plates already off the ground. Our coach did it so we wouldn't be straining our backs too much. Work hard, eat plenty and get plenty of rest and you will be successful.

jrdd13

Awards
As a high school athlete the most important part of any lifting routine you choose to do is maintaining flexability. Be sure to do a dynamic warm up including in line and side to side moves along with a hip circuit, especially before doing heavy lifts. Take time to do a cool down after each work out then stretch out completely.

phenom9950

Awards
i would have loved to get this type of info in high school. Good help fellas.

shortstop1616

Awards
As a high school athlete the most important part of any lifting routine you choose to do is maintaining flexability. Be sure to do a dynamic warm up including in line and side to side moves along with a hip circuit, especially before doing heavy lifts. Take time to do a cool down after each work out then stretch out completely.
Could not have stated this better myself. Good answer. They have examples of this at www.vastmuscle.com

at1010

Awards
  • Established
hey man i played football and we just bout took state and i wasnt big thats a good routine just bust your ass and eat your asss off you aint going for lookis just size...goodluck hit them hard