Cardio schedule

reptone

Awards
  • Established
Can anyone recommend an optimal cardio/weight loss regimen for a 44 year old getting back into the gym. I`m getting diet on track and just need to know how long and how many days without overdoing it and/or interfering with weight training/gaining muscle. I don`t want to be counterproductive to either aspect.

MrBigPR

MrBigPR

NutraPlanet Rep
Awards
  • Established
What are you looking for, overall? ANy history of injuries that will limit you?

reptone

Awards
  • Established
I`m looking to drop the couch potato weight. Bad knees from football years ago so nothing pounding joints like running. Other than that I`m open to any suggestions. I`m more interested in how MUCH cardio and how OFTEN so I don`t overdue it or be counterproductive to gaining muscle at the same time.

JudgementDay

JudgementDay

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well I don't know how fast you recover and where your cardio is at, or how many times a week you lift weights, but for one of my cardio fat burning runs I use:
TREADMILL
warm up 3-4mph for 3min
10min at 6mph
10-30min for 1min at 4mph then 1min at 8mph
30-35min at 6mph
35-43min for 1min at 9mph then 1min at 3mph
43-45min at 4-3mph

Now, I don't think you can do that right off the bat but I would say go as far as you can with this cardio routine and just do more and more of it everytime you try it, until you are able to do the whole thing. It depends on how many times you are lifting a week but I'd start of at 2-3 times a week.

MrBigPR

MrBigPR

NutraPlanet Rep
Awards
  • Established
Ill tell you what i did...cut out all the sugar, drink nothing but water and no fried food. Youll be amazed to how much weight you lose right off the bat from that.

If you plan on lifting, do so moderately and youll slowly see yourself define up a bit and lose some fat in the process. Weigh yourself once a week, while not focusing too much on the scale, its just numbers.

If you can walk, try doing incline between 10-15 at around 3-4 mph. That should get a good sweat, burn a ton of calories and get you conditioned for more running. Rowing machines are your friends here.

After you burn all those calories, dont think you can cheat and eat something not worthwhile. Think of everything bad and if you eat it youll gain 15 lbs right off the bat.

NO cheat meals, no garbage. This is key. I lost 15 lbs off getting rid of my bad habits.

All about discipline man, i helped my dad in a similar position like you and he went from 260-196 in 8 months. Mind you he couldnt run, bad knees and two bad shoulders so lifting was not in his favor. It came down to him cutting out all bad habits, eating healthier and just watching.

Anything you need man, we are here.

reptone

Awards
  • Established
My diet pretty much consists of the following(as of last Sunday):
Chicken
Fish
Canned tuna
Turkey
Hard boiled eggs(one yolk for every 3 eggs eaten)
Broccolli
Red onion
Spinach
Carrotts
Bananas
Apples
Various berries
Peaches and Plums when they are in saeson
Oranges
Oatmeal
Various salad veggies
Whole Grain pasta
brown rice
Whey protein powder
All are fresh except the tuna
Only condiments are relich for the tuna, a little garlic sauce(olive oil, fesh garlic and soy sauce) for veggies and red wine vinegar for salad.

I`m hoping this will help.

MrBigPR

MrBigPR

NutraPlanet Rep
Awards
  • Established
My diet pretty much consists of the following(as of last Sunday):
Chicken
Fish
Canned tuna
Turkey
Hard boiled eggs(one yolk for every 3 eggs eaten)
Broccolli
Red onion
Spinach
Carrotts
Bananas
Apples
Various berries
Peaches and Plums when they are in saeson
Oranges
Oatmeal
Various salad veggies
Whole Grain pasta
brown rice
Whey protein powder
All are fresh except the tuna
Only condiments are relich for the tuna, a little garlic sauce(olive oil, fesh garlic and soy sauce) for veggies and red wine vinegar for salad.

I`m hoping this will help.
You are golden man. If relich helps get that tuna down, go for it! I cant eat it for the life of me.

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
I do HIIT on a Elliptical very good workout and from what i hear you lose good amount of weight if you keep it up. Theres no pressure on joints in knees so that might be your best bet.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Can anyone recommend an optimal cardio/weight loss regimen for a 44 year old getting back into the gym. I`m getting diet on track and just need to know how long and how many days without overdoing it and/or interfering with weight training/gaining muscle. I don`t want to be counterproductive to either aspect.
At 5'6" and 260# you will do just fine with any activity.

Eat right, lift regularly and walk the treadmill for 30-45mins after workouts. Pretty simple and effective.