need beginner whole body workout routine please

  1. New Member
    jak skrilla's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  0 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    16
    Rep Power
    89
    Level
    4
    Lv. Percent
    34.75%

    need beginner whole body workout routine please


    i don't know if i'm in the right forum.....i don't know which muscle groups to train together.....i googled beginner workout routines..........all kinds of shizzle cum up...........i thought it would be better to ask people that have experience working out........what would be the best routine to start out with.......what days to do cardio...what days off.....i'm disabled and i'm unable to work.....workin out is all i have right now......i'll do it everyday if i have to.....do cardio on the days i don't lift......it's really like physical therapy for me.......the more i do.........the better i will get..........and maybe.....hopefully be able to go back to work.........i got a traumatic brain injury on february 19, 2005.....i've been doin therapy and rehabilitation since then.......my pt (physical therapist).....said he can write me a workout routine.........it's not focused on lifting weights.....it's exercises i do already.....just more of them............thanx for any help

  2. Advanced Member
    Jim Mills's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  172 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Age
    49
    Posts
    784
    Rep Power
    508
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    82.93%

    I'm making good gains with this one.

    Mon: Legs

    Squat: 4 10,8,8,8
    Leg extentions 4 10,8,8,8
    Leg Curls 4 10,8,8,8
    Abs:

    Tue: Full upper body
    Incline Dumbbell Bench Press 4 x 10
    Lying Tricep Extension 4 x 10
    Dumbbell Curl 4 x 10
    Shrugs 4 x 15
    Wide Grip Pull Down 4 x 10

    Thu: Full upper body

    Barbell Bench Press 4 x 10
    Bar Cable Extension 4 x 10
    Standing Hammer Curl 4 x 10
    Side Raises 4 x 10
    Close Grip Pull Down 4 x 10

    Sat: Full upper body

    Cable Crossovers 4 x10
    One Arm Dumbbell Extension 4 x 10
    Preacher Curl 4 x 10
    Dumbbell Reverse Fly 4 x 10
    Seated cable Rows 4 x 10
  3. Advanced Member
    Jim Mills's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  172 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Age
    49
    Posts
    784
    Rep Power
    508
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    82.93%

    Forgot to ask.... Are you looking to gain mass/strength, tone up or just for general health?... All 3 would be different workouts.
    •   
       

  4. Senior Member
    corsaking's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,778
    Rep Power
    13344
    Level
    32
    Lv. Percent
    4.64%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mills View Post
    I'm making good gains with this one.

    Mon: Legs

    Squat: 4 10,8,8,8
    Leg extentions 4 10,8,8,8
    Leg Curls 4 10,8,8,8
    Abs:

    Tue: Full upper body
    Incline Dumbbell Bench Press 4 x 10
    Lying Tricep Extension 4 x 10
    Dumbbell Curl 4 x 10
    Shrugs 4 x 15
    Wide Grip Pull Down 4 x 10

    Thu: Full upper body

    Barbell Bench Press 4 x 10
    Bar Cable Extension 4 x 10
    Standing Hammer Curl 4 x 10
    Side Raises 4 x 10
    Close Grip Pull Down 4 x 10

    Sat: Full upper body

    Cable Crossovers 4 x10
    One Arm Dumbbell Extension 4 x 10
    Preacher Curl 4 x 10
    Dumbbell Reverse Fly 4 x 10
    Seated cable Rows 4 x 10
    PERSONALLY i thinik there is too much there for a beginner, concentrate on the 3 large muscle groups , back , chest , legs.

    chest- bench press 3sets x 8/10
    incline flyes - as above
    dips 3 sets until failure

    back- pulley rows 3 sets x 8 /10
    lat pulldowns wide grip sets as above
    narrow grip pulldowns sets as above

    legs-- squats with a spotter or seated leg press
    alternate leg raises using calf machine or seated calf machine using both calves sets /reps as above

    i ve kept it simple as your a beginner .concentrate on technique rather than weight to begin with . once you got the technique sorted , you can progress with weights

    good luck
  5. New Member
    workingman16's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  198 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    18
    Rep Power
    75
    Level
    3
    Lv. Percent
    73%

    I agree with corsaking...

    As a beginner its really important to concentrate on form before you start doing compound movements like squats. Start with leg press than work up to squats on a smith machine. This will give you and idea of proper form. Starting on the machines you will find at your local gym is the best way to get familiar with an exercise technique first. Don't try to do too much at once. When I first started working out I used a beginner workout from vastmuscle.com. The best part about it is that the beginner workout is actually free on the homepage. Its a great way to get started and hits all your muscle groups. I loved it.
  6. Senior Member
    corsaking's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,778
    Rep Power
    13344
    Level
    32
    Lv. Percent
    4.64%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by workingman16 View Post
    I agree with corsaking...

    As a beginner its really important to concentrate on form before you start doing compound movements like squats. Start with leg press than work up to squats on a smith machine. This will give you and idea of proper form. Starting on the machines you will find at your local gym is the best way to get familiar with an exercise technique first. Don't try to do too much at once. When I first started working out I used a beginner workout from vastmuscle.com. The best part about it is that the beginner workout is actually free on the homepage. Its a great way to get started and hits all your muscle groups. I loved it.
    Hi i had a look at the website and the free routine for the beginner but are they serious about doing the high number of sets (thats if im reading it right)for example a lot of exercises they suggest 15 sets and 15reps per set presumably. Ive read a lot of books on weight training and listened to a lot of people who make a living out of running gyms and have never come across that level of sets suggested in a routine per exercise.
  7. True74Seneca
    Guest
    True74Seneca's Avatar

    google rippetoes starting strength, its one of the best
  8. New Member
    shortstop1616's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    119
    Rep Power
    161
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    14.9%

    I really like vastmuscle.com beginner workouts they even have a free sample on the homepage of the website. Can't go wrong with that.

    Check it out. I did and loved it. Been using it for the past 2 years.
  9. New Member
    shortstop1616's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    119
    Rep Power
    161
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    14.9%

    Quote Originally Posted by corsaking View Post
    Hi i had a look at the website and the free routine for the beginner but are they serious about doing the high number of sets (thats if im reading it right)for example a lot of exercises they suggest 15 sets and 15reps per set presumably. Ive read a lot of books on weight training and listened to a lot of people who make a living out of running gyms and have never come across that level of sets suggested in a routine per exercise.

    They made a mistake. They meant 2 sets of 15 and not 15 sets of 15. They must have fixed it this morning.
  10. Senior Member
    corsaking's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,778
    Rep Power
    13344
    Level
    32
    Lv. Percent
    4.64%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by shortstop1616 View Post
    They made a mistake. They meant 2 sets of 15 and not 15 sets of 15. They must have fixed it this morning.
    i still think 15 reps is too high .If you have fat to shift then high reps with say 30sec to 1 min rest between sets is fair enough but if you want strength then handle a weight sufficient for 5 reps per set (5 x5) or if you want muscle between 8 -10 reps. say 3 sets x 8-10 reps.

    just my view .
  11. Elite Member
    Zero V's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Age
    27
    Posts
    6,286
    Rep Power
    7013
    Level
    52
    Lv. Percent
    27.22%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    I found when I was a beginner that my biggest improvements came from doing a "basic training" like regime outside of the weight room. Put to body through hell and it will respond be preparing to take hell on.

    Best strength I ever had was in wrestling. We weight lifted 3 days a week, on days we weight lifted we went to wrestling practice after. Our wrestling practice was 6 hours long on normal days, about 5 hours long on weight days.

    We had no meals in between(we woulda thrown em up anyways), we didnt get proper "rest", but we did gain endurance/strength/size that I have yet to see from a weight room routine I have tried so far.

    Just IMO, for me a shock therapy treatment for a couple months will put the body into a physical mode, then cutting back on that and going mostly weights would be great. Initial growth will be slow, but after that it would explode, especially with proper nutrition.

    Again all IMO.
  12. Advanced Member
    Liquid13's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Age
    28
    Posts
    835
    Rep Power
    490
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    66.02%

    A full body routine would be good. Bench, squat, chin ups. Perhaps Bench 3x10, Squat 3x10, Chins 3xfailure. This would be a decent way to get started.
  13. Registered User
    BodyWizard's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Age
    63
    Posts
    2,373
    Rep Power
    1310
    Level
    35
    Lv. Percent
    93.4%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    I agree w/ Zero V (mark your calendars!)

    As a beginner - especially after a long layoff due to injury - the last thing you should be doing is focus on the weight room. You need to rebuild general fitness, and weights absolutely have a role in that, but if you don't concentrate on overall conditioning, I fear you'll just set yourself up for further injury.

    General military-style PT is an EXCELLENT place to start (I'm sure there are hundreds of books and videos that can be recommended) - intersperse a general physical regimen with *compound* lifts - deadlifts, pull-ups, Arnold presses, farmer carries - and plenty of rest-time, and you'll be a whole new you in a very few weeks (okay, a couple months). Remember to stay stretched out, eat real food, keep yourself flexible, and have your PT keep tabs on you through say the first 2-3 months.
  14. Senior Member
    corsaking's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,778
    Rep Power
    13344
    Level
    32
    Lv. Percent
    4.64%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    the original poster hasnt replied to any of these posts so can the thread be closed .im sure he will have sorted himself by now as the original post was in the beginning of may

    just a thought
  15. New Member
    shortstop1616's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    119
    Rep Power
    161
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    14.9%

    I understand you want strength but you have to build some muscle endurance first. Thats from the strength and condition text from the NSCA
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. This routine okay for an absolute beginner?
    By ItsHectic in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-16-2010, 12:15 PM
  2. Any Advice on a Newbie Beginner workout???
    By simon01 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-29-2010, 11:11 AM
  3. Easy on the body cut workout routine
    By TheDiesel85 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-10-2009, 05:05 PM
  4. Help a beginner with a routine
    By sundevil04 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-16-2009, 06:26 PM
  5. beginner routine
    By classic27 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-22-2008, 08:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in