HIIT on Elliptical?

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
Ok so i want to start doing HIIT and was wondering i have an elliptical whats the best thing to do on it? i was thinking start off 10-15 min but like go something like this?

1min- 7 Crossramp 4 Resitance
2min- 7 crossramp 4 resitance
3min- 14 Crossramp 10 Resitance
4min- 6 Crossramp 4 resitance
5min-6 cross 4 Res
6min- 14 Cross 10 res
7min- 6 cross 4 res
8min-6 cross 4 res
9min-15cross 8 res
10min-4 cross 12 res

3-5 min cool down

this is first time doing it on elliptical so just wondering what best way to do it i need some feedback.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I suggest:
Warmup
5-10 Sprints , jack up the resistance while sprinting for 20-30s, then recover at a lower resistance for 30-60s.
Cooldown

As you progress, you increase the resistance, and decrease the rest intervals. I usually suggest about 6-7 intervals to start, and work your way up to 10 (Or even 12 after a long time)

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Agreed...30 seconds will wipe you out by the 4th of 5th cycle and give you the results you are looking for.

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
thanks so much guys i just tried it and wow i must say wow that is some hard **** I did 5 min warmup then 30 secs on 14 cross and 12 resistance then 1 minute or so off did that about 6 times best cardio of my life im already sore. I almost died down there mom was conerned i was grunting so much : P man thats a great workout.

adnscmplx

Awards
I just wanted to stop by and agree whole heatedly. I do 30 s sprints and 90 seconds slow for 15 -30 mins depending on the day. Hard as f---, great workout.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
At the gym back home (not the school gym), the elliptical are by far the easiest to instigate HIIT.

I got
5 min warm up
30-45 seconds on 20 resistance
1:00-1:30 sec rest
cool down

After 10-15 of these I am absolutely wiped.

I love ellipticals because the time to adjust intensity is so minimal if nothing at all and comparable to the best option, sprints/jump roping/etc. Also the ease on the joints is much appreciated.

Be sure you warm up though and not from 0-100 % in matter of minutes from starting.

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
At the gym back home (not the school gym), the elliptical are by far the easiest to instigate HIIT.

I got
5 min warm up
30-45 seconds on 20 resistance
1:00-1:30 sec rest
cool down

After 10-15 of these I am absolutely wiped.

I love ellipticals because the time to adjust intensity is so minimal if nothing at all and comparable to the best option, sprints/jump roping/etc. Also the ease on the joints is much appreciated.

Be sure you warm up though and not from 0-100 % in matter of minutes from starting.
i've been reading a lot about HIIT recently. i think i'll give this option a try for my first experience.