How does my split look?

03SVTCobra

Awards
Trying to get a decent critique of my 4 day split at the moment.

Monday Chest/Tris
Bench Press
Incline Press
Bent Over Row
Skull Crushers
Overhead Tricep Extensions

Tuesday Back/Biceps
Overhead Pull Downs
Reverse Pull Downs
Seated Rows
Hammer Curls
Cross Body Curls
Concentration Curls

Wed - Off
Cardio only

Thursday Legs/Back/Shoulders
Deadlift
Squats
Lunges
Calf Raises (with 100 lb curl bar over my shoulders)
Shoulder Press
Shrugs

Friday Arms
Preacher Curls
Hammer Curls
Skull Crushers
Cable Extensions

Saturday - Cardio
Sunday - Cardio

I'm eating at a calorie deficit at the moment so I know gains aren't going to be spectacular, but I have the patience to stick it out until I get my weight down to where I'd like it then switch the diet up to be at a calorie surplus. I am getting 150-200 grams of protein daily and I'm 6' 216 at the moment, working my way towards 180, then I'd like to bulk up from there.

Will this routine at least help me start to make some gains while I'm losing, or at least help build strength so I can hit the weights hard when I get to my bulking stage?

biggfly

biggfly

Awards
  • Established
Just a quick glance, i wouldn't do deads, squats and lunges on same day. deads and squats on separate days if it were me, one is bound to suffer as they are large, compound lifts that should require and consume alot of your energy and strength. Maybe look at doing a 4 day split of this:
day 1: horizontal push/pull
day 2:legs(quad dominant) and accessory bi or tri work
day 3 :eek:ff(cardio), abs
day 4: vertical push/pull
day 5:legs(ham/glute dominant) accessory bi or tri(opposite of what u do day 2) work.
day 6:eek:ff
day 7: off
maybe fit another cardio on an upper day. Depends on your goals really, I like to think in terms of movements not body parts I guess. Sticking with 3-4 compound movements(bench, squats,deads,bbrows,pullups etc) each day and 2 ,maybe 3, isolation movements.

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
If you can do deadlifts, squats and lunges all in the same workout, you're not working hard enough. I have to struggle through the rest of my workout when I do either squats or deadlifts but maybe thats just me. Bent over rows are a back exercise right? Why work them with chest/tris? Are reverse pull downs the same as behind the neck pulls?

My advice: Do deadlifts with back instead of one of the pulldowns. You're doing too many arm exercises IMO. Take the shoulder work and put in in your friday workout and lower the overall arm load.