Why do people have little notebooks with them?

p00ndawg

p00ndawg

Banned
Awards
  • Established
what do you write in them? I cant see the use for one of these.

maurice02

maurice02

Awards
  • Established
training logs.......record your reps/weight/exercises/etc...

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
I used to do this, now I just wait until I get home to fill it in Excel.

Levendis

Levendis

Awards
I use a notebook to record weights, reps. etc....because I'm getting on in years and can't remember from week to week.:sad:

p00ndawg

p00ndawg

Banned
Awards
  • Established
training logs.......record your reps/weight/exercises/etc...
i must have good memory because I can usually just remember. Although i guess everyone has a different style. I usually just pack on the weight and keep putting it on until its hard to do, and I usually just do what I can that day.

I wonder if i should start. It would be nice to see my gains I guess. I have to change my clothes upwards of 2 or 3 times per workout. So i dont think writing with paper would be beneficial, since I would probably wet everything and I dont even know most of the names of the lifts i do. I guess i should start learning.

p00ndawg

p00ndawg

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I use a notebook to record weights, reps. etc....because I'm getting on in years and can't remember from week to week.:sad:

haha ok that makes sense. Although maybe there is something to it, all the guys that do it seem to be pretty fit.

jtp217

jtp217

Awards
i must have good memory because I can usually just remember. Although i guess everyone has a different style. I usually just pack on the weight and keep putting it on until its hard to do, and I usually just do what I can that day.

I wonder if i should start. It would be nice to see my gains I guess. I have to change my clothes upwards of 2 or 3 times per workout. So i dont think writing with paper would be beneficial, since I would probably wet everything and I dont even know most of the names of the lifts i do. I guess i should start learning.
Huh? Does your gym not have air conditioning or a window to open? lol

Levendis

Levendis

Awards
strange...I only have to change clothes after squats....

p00ndawg

p00ndawg

Banned
Awards
  • Established

No lol, its fully air conditioned and always at very cool temperature. I just SWEAT A TON, always have and always will. My brother is the same way as my father. I sometimes start sweating when im changing my clothes. Luckily i dont spill or drip over everything, its self contained so I can get pretty damn wet before I change.

But Now that I started taking dcp its really enhanced that sweating effect. Not tooo much, but i am sweating more.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't change my gym clothes like him, but no my gym has neither AC nor windows; it's an underground dungeon where summer is hell.

And I use a little notepad to record reps, sets, date etc. Great way to track progress and ensure progression; knowing you do 4x8 last time helps me push myself to 4x9 this time around.

p00ndawg

p00ndawg

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I don't change my gym clothes like him, but no my gym has neither AC nor windows; it's an underground dungeon where summer is hell.

And I use a little notepad to record reps, sets, date etc. Great way to track progress and ensure progression; knowing you do 4x8 last time helps me push myself to 4x9 this time around.
I can usually remember more or less what my final reps were. But i just make sure everytime I go I push myself as far as i can. I do as many reps possible with as much weight possible. And once its too hard, i take off some weight and do more reps.

I might start typing this out, Im sure it wouldnt hurt to be doing it.

Steveoph

Steveoph

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I can usually remember more or less what my final reps were. But i just make sure everytime I go I push myself as far as i can. I do as many reps possible with as much weight possible. And once its too hard, i take off some weight and do more reps.

I might start typing this out, Im sure it wouldnt hurt to be doing it.
Yea it's one of the great things about running a log; your peers hold you accountable. I know when I was running PRIME, I was pushing myself beyond hard, because I really wanted to get those #'s up. When I hit 315x8 for Deadlifts I was stoked and probably wouldn't have made it if I hadn't been running my log, seriously.

p00ndawg

p00ndawg

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Yea it's one of the great things about running a log; your peers hold you accountable. I know when I was running PRIME, I was pushing myself beyond hard, because I really wanted to get those #'s up. When I hit 315x8 for Deadlifts I was stoked and probably wouldn't have made it if I hadn't been running my log, seriously.

that reminds me of something interesting, 3 weeks ago I could barely do 225 on deads like 1 time. Im now doing 315 x 5. Ive gotten some crazy gains on dead, I think it also had to do alot with form. Took my awhile to get the right form since I had never done deads before.

Im gonna start trying to write out my workouts. Do you think you could post a sample workout sheet that you do or use? for ideas.

Steveoph

Steveoph

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
that reminds me of something interesting, 3 weeks ago I could barely do 225 on deads like 1 time. Im now doing 315 x 5. Ive gotten some crazy gains on dead, I think it also had to do alot with form. Took my awhile to get the right form since I had never done deads before.

Im gonna start trying to write out my workouts. Do you think you could post a sample workout sheet that you do or use? for ideas.
I just write down the exercises in a vertical column, then the reps to the right of that. There are fancier charts, where you track the reps in columns to the right, which can easily be done on Excel, or via a google search for "Excel Workout Sheet". I constantly change my exercises and don't have a steady program, but for those people, that kind of chart is a good idea.

p00ndawg

p00ndawg

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I just write down the exercises in a vertical column, then the reps to the right of that. There are fancier charts, where you track the reps in columns to the right, which can easily be done on Excel, or via a google search for "Excel Workout Sheet". I constantly change my exercises and don't have a steady program, but for those people, that kind of chart is a good idea.
cool thanks!

machinehead

machinehead

Awards
  • Established
I train DC so keeping track is paramount. I put a stick-it note in my wallet and write down the exercises, weght and reps there. When I go home, I copy them in a word document and stack them. Before each workout, I look at the doc to see what weight/reps I have to beat. Every now and then I will do a Ctrl+F on an exercise and F3 to go through all the workouts I've done it in, looking at my strength progression.

When I was young I used to remember every set but now I am so indifferent that it has affected my memory for important things.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
yep. me too with the log book - because you have a set goal at the gym - not to lift weights until you "feel" like you're done. you have to beat your previous weights or reps. constant progression not only builds muscles, but it motivates the hell out of you to see that on paper. at least for me :)

nemo

nemo

Awards
  • Established
Yes, the book is your motivation!!!!

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
I always thought it was people writing poetry. oh well

maurice02

maurice02

Awards
  • Established
I always thought it was people writing poetry. oh well
or for when you haveto take a dump there and all the tp is gone, you have something to wipe with:smokin:

p00ndawg

p00ndawg

Banned
Awards
  • Established
im gonna use it to write love letters to the hot chicks.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
I use it for structure so I don't have to think about what weight I'm doing next, instead the next % and the stretch % (if I feel like going heavier than normal) is listed.

SoCo4Fun

SoCo4Fun

Awards
  • Established
I track EVERYTHING in spreadsheets...body measurements, bodyfat tests, workouts, etc...it allows me to look back at my progress and set new goals for the future...it makes it much easier to determine goals that I know will be achievable.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Plan your work - work your plan. I never train without my notepad.

If I'm gonna guess I might as well stay at home in bed.

p00ndawg

p00ndawg

Banned
Awards
  • Established
thanks for the advice guys. Didnt realize how key the notebook could be.

but i guess with everything its always the little things that count.

SoCo4Fun

SoCo4Fun

Awards
  • Established
The logbook, along with progress pictures also helps me when I start to lose motivation...We all get to that point occasionally where you wonder why you even bother...when I look back and the log book and my pics it helps keep me focused on my goals...

Levendis

Levendis

Awards
Plan your work - work your plan. I never train without my notepad.

If I'm gonna guess I might as well stay at home in bed.
same here...I need the structure, and I need to know I'm progressing. The notebook takes the guesswork out of it for me...I can see my progress real-time.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
I can't stand when my training partners write their logs because they always seem to start doing it when they should be spotting, coaching, or cleaning lol. We have a board at our gym to keep track of PR's and to plan out our training cycles which I think is way easier to use then writing everything down in a notebook. I know most people won't have this option because they train at commercial places, but if you can put a whiteboard up in your gym it will help keep you motivated to break your PRs as well as anyone elses that is on the board.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I can't stand when my training partners write their logs because they always seem to start doing it when they should be spotting, coaching, or cleaning lol. We have a board at our gym to keep track of PR's and to plan out our training cycles which I think is way easier to use then writing everything down in a notebook. I know most people won't have this option because they train at commercial places, but if you can put a whiteboard up in your gym it will help keep you motivated to break your PRs as well as anyone elses that is on the board.
I had to get a notebook when I went to a public gym because I was lost without my whiteboard in the garage. I miss the whiteboard because I could view weeks of goals/accomplishments/progress at a simple glance.

sonny4753

sonny4753

Awards
Depending on the program I just keep an old fashion black and white composition book...I look at what I did the week before and say I'm tryiing for high volume high reps, say incline bench 225 10x and 11x the last two weeks this week I'll put a 2.5 lber on each side and go for 11 or 12 at 230...

Me personally I can't keep a close track of my #s in my head, I mean I roughly know where I am but I find the gains come in when you just go to the edge of your limit put a little more on and drive to a new edge, hence the notepad.

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
I train DC so keeping track is paramount. I put a stick-it note in my wallet and write down the exercises, weght and reps there. When I go home, I copy them in a word document and stack them. Before each workout, I look at the doc to see what weight/reps I have to beat. Every now and then I will do a Ctrl+F on an exercise and F3 to go through all the workouts I've done it in, looking at my strength progression.

When I was young I used to remember every set but now I am so indifferent that it has affected my memory for important things.
Agreed. DC here too,..... I write in all the exercises, weight and reps too beat a week ahead of time. Also it mentally prepares me a few days ahead of time to demolish my goals.

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
If i dont have my notebook with me, i would probably have a heart attack....seriously. I couldnt lift without it. I dont see how else you can progress correctly without seeing what your lifts were a WEEK ago. I cant remember what the hell i did 15 minutes ago, much less how many reps of 275 on squats I did a week ago. Its great for mentally knowing you are doing the correct weight and not just haphazardly doing a workout that "could" be correct. i dont roll like that.