Why do people have little notebooks with them?

  1. Banned
    p00ndawg's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    555
    Answers
    0

    Why do people have little notebooks with them?


    what do you write in them? I cant see the use for one of these.

  2. Registered User
    maurice02's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Age
    34
    Posts
    948
    Answers
    0


    training logs.......record your reps/weight/exercises/etc...
  3. Registered User
    ozarkaBRAND's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    4,279
    Answers
    0


    I used to do this, now I just wait until I get home to fill it in Excel.
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    Levendis's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  226.5 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    10
    Answers
    0


    I use a notebook to record weights, reps. etc....because I'm getting on in years and can't remember from week to week.
  5. Banned
    p00ndawg's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    555
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by maurice02 View Post
    training logs.......record your reps/weight/exercises/etc...
    i must have good memory because I can usually just remember. Although i guess everyone has a different style. I usually just pack on the weight and keep putting it on until its hard to do, and I usually just do what I can that day.

    I wonder if i should start. It would be nice to see my gains I guess. I have to change my clothes upwards of 2 or 3 times per workout. So i dont think writing with paper would be beneficial, since I would probably wet everything and I dont even know most of the names of the lifts i do. I guess i should start learning.
  6. Banned
    p00ndawg's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    555
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Levendis View Post
    I use a notebook to record weights, reps. etc....because I'm getting on in years and can't remember from week to week.

    haha ok that makes sense. Although maybe there is something to it, all the guys that do it seem to be pretty fit.
  7. Registered User
    manny1010's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Age
    31
    Posts
    723
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by ozarkaBRAND View Post
    I used to do this, now I just wait until I get home to fill it in Excel.
    I do this. I type up my workout routine in Excel and print it and take it with me when i workout.
  8. Registered User
    jtp217's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  223 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    190
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by p00ndawg View Post
    i must have good memory because I can usually just remember. Although i guess everyone has a different style. I usually just pack on the weight and keep putting it on until its hard to do, and I usually just do what I can that day.

    I wonder if i should start. It would be nice to see my gains I guess. I have to change my clothes upwards of 2 or 3 times per workout. So i dont think writing with paper would be beneficial, since I would probably wet everything and I dont even know most of the names of the lifts i do. I guess i should start learning.
    Huh? Does your gym not have air conditioning or a window to open? lol
  9. Registered User
    Levendis's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  226.5 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    10
    Answers
    0


    strange...I only have to change clothes after squats....
  10. Banned
    p00ndawg's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    555
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by jtp217 View Post
    Huh? Does your gym not have air conditioning or a window to open? lol

    No lol, its fully air conditioned and always at very cool temperature. I just SWEAT A TON, always have and always will. My brother is the same way as my father. I sometimes start sweating when im changing my clothes. Luckily i dont spill or drip over everything, its self contained so I can get pretty damn wet before I change.

    But Now that I started taking dcp its really enhanced that sweating effect. Not tooo much, but i am sweating more.
  11. NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
    Board Sponsor
    Steveoph's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    12,524
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by jtp217 View Post
    Huh? Does your gym not have air conditioning or a window to open? lol
    I don't change my gym clothes like him, but no my gym has neither AC nor windows; it's an underground dungeon where summer is hell.

    And I use a little notepad to record reps, sets, date etc. Great way to track progress and ensure progression; knowing you do 4x8 last time helps me push myself to 4x9 this time around.
  12. Banned
    p00ndawg's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    555
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Steveoph View Post
    I don't change my gym clothes like him, but no my gym has neither AC nor windows; it's an underground dungeon where summer is hell.

    And I use a little notepad to record reps, sets, date etc. Great way to track progress and ensure progression; knowing you do 4x8 last time helps me push myself to 4x9 this time around.
    I can usually remember more or less what my final reps were. But i just make sure everytime I go I push myself as far as i can. I do as many reps possible with as much weight possible. And once its too hard, i take off some weight and do more reps.

    I might start typing this out, Im sure it wouldnt hurt to be doing it.
  13. NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
    Board Sponsor
    Steveoph's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    12,524
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by p00ndawg View Post
    I can usually remember more or less what my final reps were. But i just make sure everytime I go I push myself as far as i can. I do as many reps possible with as much weight possible. And once its too hard, i take off some weight and do more reps.

    I might start typing this out, Im sure it wouldnt hurt to be doing it.
    Yea it's one of the great things about running a log; your peers hold you accountable. I know when I was running PRIME, I was pushing myself beyond hard, because I really wanted to get those #'s up. When I hit 315x8 for Deadlifts I was stoked and probably wouldn't have made it if I hadn't been running my log, seriously.
  14. Banned
    p00ndawg's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    555
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Steveoph View Post
    Yea it's one of the great things about running a log; your peers hold you accountable. I know when I was running PRIME, I was pushing myself beyond hard, because I really wanted to get those #'s up. When I hit 315x8 for Deadlifts I was stoked and probably wouldn't have made it if I hadn't been running my log, seriously.

    that reminds me of something interesting, 3 weeks ago I could barely do 225 on deads like 1 time. Im now doing 315 x 5. Ive gotten some crazy gains on dead, I think it also had to do alot with form. Took my awhile to get the right form since I had never done deads before.

    Im gonna start trying to write out my workouts. Do you think you could post a sample workout sheet that you do or use? for ideas.
  15. NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
    Board Sponsor
    Steveoph's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    12,524
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by p00ndawg View Post
    that reminds me of something interesting, 3 weeks ago I could barely do 225 on deads like 1 time. Im now doing 315 x 5. Ive gotten some crazy gains on dead, I think it also had to do alot with form. Took my awhile to get the right form since I had never done deads before.

    Im gonna start trying to write out my workouts. Do you think you could post a sample workout sheet that you do or use? for ideas.
    I just write down the exercises in a vertical column, then the reps to the right of that. There are fancier charts, where you track the reps in columns to the right, which can easily be done on Excel, or via a google search for "Excel Workout Sheet". I constantly change my exercises and don't have a steady program, but for those people, that kind of chart is a good idea.
  16. Banned
    p00ndawg's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    555
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Steveoph View Post
    I just write down the exercises in a vertical column, then the reps to the right of that. There are fancier charts, where you track the reps in columns to the right, which can easily be done on Excel, or via a google search for "Excel Workout Sheet". I constantly change my exercises and don't have a steady program, but for those people, that kind of chart is a good idea.
    cool thanks!
  17. Registered User
    machinehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Age
    35
    Posts
    606
    Answers
    0


    I train DC so keeping track is paramount. I put a stick-it note in my wallet and write down the exercises, weght and reps there. When I go home, I copy them in a word document and stack them. Before each workout, I look at the doc to see what weight/reps I have to beat. Every now and then I will do a Ctrl+F on an exercise and F3 to go through all the workouts I've done it in, looking at my strength progression.

    When I was young I used to remember every set but now I am so indifferent that it has affected my memory for important things.
  18. Registered User
    TheLastRonin's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  228 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    960
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by machinehead View Post

    When I was young I used to remember every set but now I am so indifferent that it has affected my memory for important things.
    X2
  19. Registered User
    suncloud's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Age
    37
    Posts
    6,353
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Steveoph View Post
    Yea it's one of the great things about running a log; your peers hold you accountable. I know when I was running PRIME, I was pushing myself beyond hard, because I really wanted to get those #'s up. When I hit 315x8 for Deadlifts I was stoked and probably wouldn't have made it if I hadn't been running my log, seriously.
    yep. me too with the log book - because you have a set goal at the gym - not to lift weights until you "feel" like you're done. you have to beat your previous weights or reps. constant progression not only builds muscles, but it motivates the hell out of you to see that on paper. at least for me
  20. Registered User
    nemo's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,649
    Answers
    0


    Yes, the book is your motivation!!!!
    Think training's hard,. try losing!
  21. Registered User
    Chub's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  183 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Age
    27
    Posts
    3,298
    Answers
    0


    I always thought it was people writing poetry. oh well
    “We are what we repeatedly do. Therefore, excellence is not an act, but a habit.”
  22. Registered User
    suncloud's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Age
    37
    Posts
    6,353
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Chub View Post
    I always thought it was people writing poetry. oh well
    roses are red
    the iron is hard
    please let me get rid
    of this tub of lard
  23. Registered User
    maurice02's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Age
    34
    Posts
    948
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Chub View Post
    I always thought it was people writing poetry. oh well
    or for when you haveto take a dump there and all the tp is gone, you have something to wipe with
  24. Banned
    p00ndawg's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    555
    Answers
    0


    im gonna use it to write love letters to the hot chicks.
  25. Registered User
    SilentBob187's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Age
    29
    Posts
    7,853
    Answers
    0


    I use it for structure so I don't have to think about what weight I'm doing next, instead the next % and the stretch % (if I feel like going heavier than normal) is listed.
    "I am legally blind and if I can Squat,deadlift and over all get myself to the gym then anyone can get their a$$ in gear and get strong!!" - malleus25
    WHITE WHALE!
  26. Registered User
    SoCo4Fun's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,018
    Answers
    0


    I track EVERYTHING in spreadsheets...body measurements, bodyfat tests, workouts, etc...it allows me to look back at my progress and set new goals for the future...it makes it much easier to determine goals that I know will be achievable.
  27. Unbreakable
    Board Moderator
    David Dunn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Age
    49
    Posts
    11,723
    Answers
    0


    Plan your work - work your plan. I never train without my notepad.

    If I'm gonna guess I might as well stay at home in bed.
  28. Banned
    p00ndawg's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    555
    Answers
    0


    thanks for the advice guys. Didnt realize how key the notebook could be.

    but i guess with everything its always the little things that count.
  29. Registered User
    SoCo4Fun's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,018
    Answers
    0


    The logbook, along with progress pictures also helps me when I start to lose motivation...We all get to that point occasionally where you wonder why you even bother...when I look back and the log book and my pics it helps keep me focused on my goals...
  30. Registered User
    Levendis's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  226.5 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    10
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by B5150 View Post
    Plan your work - work your plan. I never train without my notepad.

    If I'm gonna guess I might as well stay at home in bed.
    same here...I need the structure, and I need to know I'm progressing. The notebook takes the guesswork out of it for me...I can see my progress real-time.
  31. Registered User
    pmiller383's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Age
    27
    Posts
    4,008
    Answers
    0


    I can't stand when my training partners write their logs because they always seem to start doing it when they should be spotting, coaching, or cleaning lol. We have a board at our gym to keep track of PR's and to plan out our training cycles which I think is way easier to use then writing everything down in a notebook. I know most people won't have this option because they train at commercial places, but if you can put a whiteboard up in your gym it will help keep you motivated to break your PRs as well as anyone elses that is on the board.
    Muscle Pharm Rep
  32. Unbreakable
    Board Moderator
    David Dunn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Age
    49
    Posts
    11,723
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by pmiller383 View Post
    I can't stand when my training partners write their logs because they always seem to start doing it when they should be spotting, coaching, or cleaning lol. We have a board at our gym to keep track of PR's and to plan out our training cycles which I think is way easier to use then writing everything down in a notebook. I know most people won't have this option because they train at commercial places, but if you can put a whiteboard up in your gym it will help keep you motivated to break your PRs as well as anyone elses that is on the board.
    I had to get a notebook when I went to a public gym because I was lost without my whiteboard in the garage. I miss the whiteboard because I could view weeks of goals/accomplishments/progress at a simple glance.
  33. Registered User
    sonny4753's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  202 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    165
    Answers
    0


    Depending on the program I just keep an old fashion black and white composition book...I look at what I did the week before and say I'm tryiing for high volume high reps, say incline bench 225 10x and 11x the last two weeks this week I'll put a 2.5 lber on each side and go for 11 or 12 at 230...

    Me personally I can't keep a close track of my #s in my head, I mean I roughly know where I am but I find the gains come in when you just go to the edge of your limit put a little more on and drive to a new edge, hence the notepad.
  34. Registered User
    Matt6969's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  171 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    403
    Answers
    0


    to record lifts
  35. yea!!!!!
    brk_nemesis's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  249 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,403
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by machinehead View Post
    I train DC so keeping track is paramount. I put a stick-it note in my wallet and write down the exercises, weght and reps there. When I go home, I copy them in a word document and stack them. Before each workout, I look at the doc to see what weight/reps I have to beat. Every now and then I will do a Ctrl+F on an exercise and F3 to go through all the workouts I've done it in, looking at my strength progression.

    When I was young I used to remember every set but now I am so indifferent that it has affected my memory for important things.
    Agreed. DC here too,..... I write in all the exercises, weight and reps too beat a week ahead of time. Also it mentally prepares me a few days ahead of time to demolish my goals.
  36. Registered User
    msucurt's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,514
    Answers
    0


    If i dont have my notebook with me, i would probably have a heart attack....seriously. I couldnt lift without it. I dont see how else you can progress correctly without seeing what your lifts were a WEEK ago. I cant remember what the hell i did 15 minutes ago, much less how many reps of 275 on squats I did a week ago. Its great for mentally knowing you are doing the correct weight and not just haphazardly doing a workout that "could" be correct. i dont roll like that.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. LOL @ People saying
    By TheMouth in forum MMA
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 05-07-2008, 03:23 AM
  2. Please help people
    By Brian5225 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-22-2008, 06:12 PM
  3. People who have used 1ad >>
    By bull8t in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-24-2007, 07:42 AM
  4. What are people doing with PEA?
    By Cool in forum Nutraplanet
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 12-02-2006, 08:39 AM
  5. how many people use ALA on their ckd
    By dalejmurphy in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-27-2003, 10:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in