Flexing

Pleonastic

Pleonastic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I flex a lot in front of the mirror. It keeps my mind on point, you know I like it. So I guess its part of my training in a way. I used to flex hard in between sets to pump maybe or just to feel it more. I felt it gave some benefit. Still do it but not as much.

What do you guys think?

joeymutz

joeymutz

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
its a good way to burn calories if you do it for about 30min or so.

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
If burning calories is the goal, there are probably more optimal ways to achieve it.

Pleonastic

Pleonastic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Benefit as far as...?
Maybe its all just mental inspires you to keep it up. Plus maybe I thought it brings blood to the muscles, helping in your lifts. I have no evidence of this helping at all and its probably bullshit but hey.

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
I flex a lot inside and outside of the gym. It might look weird to some people, but I don't go to the gym to try to impress people. I like flexing between sets because it pumps more blood into the muscles I'm working, which gives me a better mind muscle connection. Flexing in the mirror lets you study yourself. Also, I think it improves definition in the short term, to an extent, if you're constantly practicing your flexing.

Flexing is essentially an isometric exercise, right? You're contracting the muscle forcefully, but not over a full range of motion. Still, muscle fibers are contracting. Think about this: squats and deadlifts are two of the most beneficial exercises for gaining muscle mass because so many muscles become activated to achieve the lift. A lot of the muscles being worked are only being worked isometrically to help stabilize the body. So doing squats and deadlifts involve you doing a lot of isometrics. What I'm trying to get at is, isometrics are beneficial to any exercise regiment.

Another thing... If you're going to be doing a lot of flexing, make sure you're doing a lot of stretching. Muscle fibers tend to shorten after contractions, over time. To oppose this happening, stretch the muscle after periods of contractions. This is why static stretching is so useful after a workout. All during the workout your muscles have been contracting to the maximum, so afterwards you want to stretch them back out.

That's just my opinion on flexing and stretching. It's been working well for me so far. And though I can't cite anything, I know there is some science behind it. ;)

cmc

cmc

Awards
Flexing is a good thing. It will help to shape the muscle as well as to flush blood into the muscle. Can be done at home or after an exercise provided that you are not too pumped. Look up-flushing principle.

fieldt76

Awards
Arnold once said in one of his articles that practicing his lat spread pose helped him achieve a wider back. If it's good enough for Arnold, it's good enough for me.

joeymutz

joeymutz

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
If burning calories is the goal, there are probably more optimal ways to achieve it.
I think we all know that. I was just stating that it does have benefits at burning calories without going in to a catabolic state.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
lol dude i was jk i know thats not u but it was the perfect thread to post that video... that guy was so weird i was LOL alll night.. i hope no one on this thread does that. i mean i love flexing seeing the results but not into my webcam and talking bout my nips lol