Trap deveoplment - AnabolicMinds.com

Trap deveoplment

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  188 lbs.
    Answers

Trap deveoplment

I really need some help here guys, i cant get my middle back to grow (in between my shoulder blades) I have try'd just about everything under the sun, and nothing seems responsive... any tips and or adivce would be GREATLY appreciated. THANK YOU ....here is a picture of what im dealing with
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  201 lbs.
    Answers

Power Shrugs...and CONCENTRATE on pulling with your traps.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Answers

Involve more presses in your workouts. I do a lot of presses throughout the week: bench press, incline dumbbell press, military or shoulder presses, dumbbell presses or arnold presses. Bent barbell rows and deadlifts also hit the traps hard. Also, rear delt laterals hit the traps well if (do these strictly). In my opinion, extra trap work isn't necessary most of the time. If you're going to do extra work for the traps I would only recommend doing 3-4 sets max. That's just my opinion.

Good luck
    •   

4. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Answers

Deads/rack deads...
  5. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Answers

I don't think presses are going to do anything. It's going to be more pulls than anything. Deads, Racks, Rows... I'm working with the same problem too.
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  223 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawkk View Post
    I don't think presses are going to do anything. It's going to be more pulls than anything. Deads, Racks, Rows... I'm working with the same problem too.
    Those 3 are money for building traps.
  7. oli
    Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  197 lbs.
    Answers

exactly what the guy sed above & try holding the in the contracted portion a second or two to make those muscles work. maybe try throwing in sum face pulls, parallel grip chins ( to your sternum if u can ) and maybe sum behind the back shrugs.
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Answers

i think i have the same problem always tend to turn my head slightly to the left when i shrug up idk why?
  9. yea!!!!!
    Stats
    6'3"  249 lbs.
    Answers

Heavy front Barbell shrugs, with grip shoulder-width apart and slight leaning forward. Also you can do Mid-trap shrugs for targeting the mid traps more by doing shrugs on a low row hammer strength machine, or lie face down on a slightly inclined bench and do shrugs off that. Proper rows will also add significant thickness to low trap insertion and mid traps on back day ( I do traps on shoulder day).
  10. Banned
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Answers

Shrugs.... barbell front slight lean forward or on incline bench facing the bench wit db's

Rows..... barbell underhand grip, seated cable pulling all the way back focusing on touching shoulder blades together, or machine row so that arms are up higher focusing on upper back.

Deads...... from the floor and heavy rack deads (knee height)

I also just discovered a new one. Its close to a db bent over row and a db upright row, picture it as a cross between. You lean over on the db rack but when pulling up the elbow is flared out instead of being clost to the body like a db bentover row would be. I super set left and right and it kills the upper middle back.
  11. Elite Member
    Answers

Deads, Rows, Shrugs.

Presses work more for front and side delts I've found.
  12. Banned
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeRows View Post
    Deads, Rows, Shrugs.

Presses work more for front and side delts I've found.
    Id like to add raises to the list. If you use barbell to do frontal shoulder raises and take them high so that the bar is over your head, you will work traps. Traps can be hit with lateral raises too. Raises will hit the upper traps but if youre looking for mid trap region, go with deads, rows, shrugs as mentioned earlier.
  13. Banned
    Answers

power cleans

power cleans

power cleans
  14. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Answers

The traps act as a synergist muscle during any press, dumbbell raise, or rowing movement. You can target the upper parts of the traps better with things like shrugs, but I don't think shrugs are entirely necessary if you're doing everything else.

If you are going to be doing shrugs, make sure you go through a full range of motion and hold the contraction at the top of the lift for a moment. Also, after each set, flex the traps for a good 20 seconds or so.

I have a cousin who plays football for Marshall and his traps are freaking insane. Most of that came from heavy compound lifting, especially the deadlift, not the shrug.
  15. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  223 lbs.
    Answers

Incline or leaning shrugs hit the lower part of my traps hard. Don't go too heavy, and squeeze the sh!t out of your traps. Proper form is key.
  16. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  155 lbs.
    Answers

I don't do shrugs very often, I agree that its more about the compound lifts, deads, rack deads, I also like bent over underhand bb rows instead of v-bar rows. I also get it from lateral db raises for shoulders, front bb raises up to your nose as well. I have strong trap development, so much so that my sister started calling me "no neck"
  17. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua86 View Post
    The traps act as a synergist muscle during any press, dumbbell raise, or rowing movement. You can target the upper parts of the traps better with things like shrugs, but I don't think shrugs are entirely necessary if you're doing everything else.

If you are going to be doing shrugs, make sure you go through a full range of motion and hold the contraction at the top of the lift for a moment. Also, after each set, flex the traps for a good 20 seconds or so.

I have a cousin who plays football for Marshall and his traps are freaking insane. Most of that came from heavy compound lifting, especially the deadlift, not the shrug.
    Cleans are the most likely cause for that.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  18. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  160 lbs.
    Answers

Shrugs, rows, deads
  19. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by imprezivr6 View Post
    Deads/rack deads...
    Deads, Racks, Rows... I'm working with the same problem too.
    Quote Originally Posted by BettrBdyMitch View Post
    I don't do shrugs very often, I agree that its more about the compound lifts, deads, rack deads, I also like bent over underhand bb rows instead of v-bar rows.
    Powerlifters usually have very big traps and they don't do shrugs - they deadlift and row. Johnny Jackson might also have some of the best traps in pro bodybuilding right now and he comes from a powerlifting background. Coleman and Yates both are well known for their backs (and traps) and also powerlifted in their day.

I would deadlift and row heavy.
  20. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  178 lbs.
    Answers

like everyone else said rows,deads, and shrugs as well as upright row hit my traps hard everytime what i started to do that helped make my traps grow are good weight sets of 20 to me traps grow on reps and form not on weight so do less weight more reps one workout but if you want to get them strong you also gotta incorportate heavy weight so your next workout more weight less reps always different grip closehands like on a close grip bench, wide grip, middle grip hold the bar in front of you and stand with the bar behind different variations to help shock your traps, and another to help hit the mid back part of em get an incline bench grab some dbs mid weight and shrug roll your shoulders forward and backwards with good form, and squeeze the **** out of em man peak contractions are what your after atleast for me, also my traps are one of my most noticeable muslces on me i had one guy think i was deformed cuz of how my shoulders met my neck he was some scrawny little dude and didnt realize i had pyramids sittin on my shoulders so you can do what i reccommend or throw it out the window dont matter to me bottom line do shurgs in your workout and lift with your TRAPS NOT YOUR ARMS and they will grow i guarantee it!!!
  21. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  230 lbs.
    Answers

Also try face pulls, and really work that contraction
  22. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  188 lbs.
    Answers

Thanks everyone for all the helpful advice, just got back from the gym and did back/shoulders today.. felt an amazing burning of he muscle when doing about half the weight as usuall but HOLDING my contrations for my shrugs for bout 3 seconds or so.. i really think it helped ALOT. will keep you update. thanks again
  23. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  188 lbs.
    Answers

Also another question.. i have a longer neck than most, will getting big traps get rid of that??
  24. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  223 lbs.
    Answers

Yea it'll make your neck appear shorter. Don't expect to have huge traps at your current weight though. Focus on overall development and the traps will come with it.
  25. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Answers

what i use to do was grab a pair of 40 pound dumbells put them to the side. get in the power rack and have the bar with 225 lbs and put my favorite song on try to hit 20 reps front shrugs 20 behind the back 20 dumbell rotate and see how many times i can do that b4 the song ended SICK burn.
  26. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  188 lbs.
    Answers

lol sounds like a toner more than anything to me
  27. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Answers

Deadlifts, bent over barbel rows, and seated cable rows. Face pulls are great for developing the rear delt area and the muscles around the scapula. I seem to get a decent trap workout when doing dips keeping my body perpendicular to the floor.
  28. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  178 lbs.
    Answers

All of these are great suggestions but if you want to hit that area directly you needs to do Kelso Shrugs which target the lower trap area.

Kelso's Shrug Book by Paul Kelso

This book has variations of shrugs that target the lower/mid trap area. The best one that I found is the following:

1. Find an incline bench
    2. Get some light/medium dumbbells
    3. face down on the bench
    4. Grab the dumbbells and squeeze your shoulder blades together and hold for 1-2 seconds and slowly release and repeat

This exercise is not meant to be done with heavy weight. I start out with very low weight and do 8 reps and then get a heavier set of dumbbells and do another 8 until i find a pair which I cant do 8 and then I call it quits. I don't rest inbetween weights either, the time it takes to rerack and get a new pair of weights and setup again is plenty of time. I do this exercise between more important compound lifts like bench and shoulder press.

Get the book if you can it's all you'll ever need if you want huge traps.
  29. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  188 lbs.
    Answers

kelso shrugs?? never heard of them hmm i think i know what your describing though.. did you personally have this same problem as i am dealing with?
  30. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  178 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Trapstar View Post
    kelso shrugs?? never heard of them hmm i think i know what your describing though.. did you personally have this same problem as i am dealing with?
    No, I've never had a problem with my traps. Kelso shrugs are old school and very muscle specific. In his book he outlines at least 40 different types of shrugs and explains how each can and will help with your primary lifts such as bench and cleans and such. But if it's traps you want then get the book and traps is what you'll get.
  31. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  145 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by dynomite View Post
    power cleans

power cleans

power cleans
    Yes. Forget any other exercise.

Ok, I exaggerate you can do deads, too. **** everything else though. If your traps won't grow with these, they just won't grow period.

You don't seem to have a lot of muscle on your frame yet either, so be patient.
  32. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  188 lbs.
    Answers

do they actually work? like add thickness to that area
  33. yea!!!!!
    Stats
    6'3"  249 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Emerge View Post
    Yes. Forget any other exercise.

Ok, I exaggerate you can do deads, too. **** everything else though. If your traps won't grow with these, they just won't grow period.

You don't seem to have a lot of muscle on your frame yet either, so be patient.
    yes. Well any clean for that matter,....I transitioned to high rep hang cleans in HS senior year due to a knee injury, and these added significant mass to the mid trap area. Also heavy deads are amazing at adding further thickness to the traps, especially when pausing up at top for about 3-5 secs, letting the weight pull down on the traps.

Ive always liked the BIG middle traps appearance, as I like the idea that if I pushed them together I could crack a chestnut,..lol.
  34. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  145 lbs.
    Answers

Indeed hang cleans are awesome too.
  35. yea!!!!!
    Stats
    6'3"  249 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Emerge View Post
    Indeed hang cleans are awesome too.
    yup,.... so are high rep hang clean/ press. OMG I was on the floor monday night after these,.. LOL.
  36. New Member
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by brk_nemesis View Post
    Heavy front Barbell shrugs, with grip shoulder-width apart and slight leaning forward. Also you can do Mid-trap shrugs for targeting the mid traps more by doing shrugs on a low row hammer strength machine, or lie face down on a slightly inclined bench and do shrugs off that. Proper rows will also add significant thickness to low trap insertion and mid traps on back day ( I do traps on shoulder day).

i am with you boy!!!! try do rope shrug on seat row.
  37. New Member
    Answers

try this.. when you do BB front shrug and rear shrug... after you complete your set, go and grab heavy dumbbells and shrug with pause.. say about 10 reps. then go back and start your next set. do the same steps. Other option, after you do front or rear shrug, go and grab 45 lbs of plate (get 1 for each side) walk around the gym shrug and pause for 5 sec. you will feel burn with this one. Good luck.
  38. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  223 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by DeafPrideSS View Post
    try this.. when you do BB front shrug and rear shrug... after you complete your set, go and grab heavy dumbbells and shrug with pause.. say about 10 reps. then go back and start your next set. do the same steps. Other option, after you do front or rear shrug, go and grab 45 lbs of plate (get 1 for each side) walk around the gym shrug and pause for 5 sec. you will feel burn with this one. Good luck.
    That sounds brutal.
  39. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"   lbs.
    Answers

dont take this the wrong way but your entire back needs alot of work.
    this is a routine i did this week, obviously you will use a lil less weight but this is a good example of a real trap/back workout

barbell shruggs- 225x50, 315x30, 405x20, 405x20,405x20
    1 set of 20 pull ups to warm up
    lat pull downs- tripple drop set (285x7/240x7/210x7) for five sets
    bent over barbell rows (underhand grip) 4 sets of 10 at 225
    run the rack on 1 arm dumbbell rows 80-100 then back down
    4 sets of weighted negatives on pull ups try to get 5-6 reps, count to 10 on the way down

thats what i did this week, i mix it up alot, but i always pound out shruggs first, then pullups or lat pull downd, then seated cable rows, t-bar rows or bent over rows (some times supersetted with light dead lifts), then a good stretching movement, finish with negatives.

good luck man keep workin on it
  40. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"   lbs.
    Answers

another thing, most people don't do enough volume on their traps. as you can see above, i do alot of reps. high volume is the only thing that makes my traps grow, but everyone is different
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. trap growth
    By ianm4208 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-08-2011, 03:21 PM
  2. No left trap
    By metroba in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 06-24-2008, 04:24 PM
  3. Getting the rear trap?
    By Jayhawkk in forum Exercise Science