Trap deveoplment

Trapstar

Trapstar

Awards
I really need some help here guys, i cant get my middle back to grow (in between my shoulder blades) I have try'd just about everything under the sun, and nothing seems responsive... any tips and or adivce would be GREATLY appreciated. THANK YOU ....here is a picture of what im dealing with

Attachments

bubbachew

Awards
  • Established
Power Shrugs...and CONCENTRATE on pulling with your traps.

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
Involve more presses in your workouts. I do a lot of presses throughout the week: bench press, incline dumbbell press, military or shoulder presses, dumbbell presses or arnold presses. Bent barbell rows and deadlifts also hit the traps hard. Also, rear delt laterals hit the traps well if (do these strictly). In my opinion, extra trap work isn't necessary most of the time. If you're going to do extra work for the traps I would only recommend doing 3-4 sets max. That's just my opinion.

Good luck

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't think presses are going to do anything. It's going to be more pulls than anything. Deads, Racks, Rows... I'm working with the same problem too.

jtp217

jtp217

Awards
I don't think presses are going to do anything. It's going to be more pulls than anything. Deads, Racks, Rows... I'm working with the same problem too.
Those 3 are money for building traps.

oli

oli

Awards
  • Established
exactly what the guy sed above & try holding the in the contracted portion a second or two to make those muscles work. maybe try throwing in sum face pulls, parallel grip chins ( to your sternum if u can ) and maybe sum behind the back shrugs.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
i think i have the same problem always tend to turn my head slightly to the left when i shrug up idk why?

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
Heavy front Barbell shrugs, with grip shoulder-width apart and slight leaning forward. Also you can do Mid-trap shrugs for targeting the mid traps more by doing shrugs on a low row hammer strength machine, or lie face down on a slightly inclined bench and do shrugs off that. Proper rows will also add significant thickness to low trap insertion and mid traps on back day ( I do traps on shoulder day).

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Shrugs.... barbell front slight lean forward or on incline bench facing the bench wit db's

Rows..... barbell underhand grip, seated cable pulling all the way back focusing on touching shoulder blades together, or machine row so that arms are up higher focusing on upper back.

Deads...... from the floor and heavy rack deads (knee height)

I also just discovered a new one. Its close to a db bent over row and a db upright row, picture it as a cross between. You lean over on the db rack but when pulling up the elbow is flared out instead of being clost to the body like a db bentover row would be. I super set left and right and it kills the upper middle back.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Deads, Rows, Shrugs.

Presses work more for front and side delts I've found.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Deads, Rows, Shrugs.

Presses work more for front and side delts I've found.
Id like to add raises to the list. If you use barbell to do frontal shoulder raises and take them high so that the bar is over your head, you will work traps. Traps can be hit with lateral raises too. Raises will hit the upper traps but if youre looking for mid trap region, go with deads, rows, shrugs as mentioned earlier.

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
The traps act as a synergist muscle during any press, dumbbell raise, or rowing movement. You can target the upper parts of the traps better with things like shrugs, but I don't think shrugs are entirely necessary if you're doing everything else.

If you are going to be doing shrugs, make sure you go through a full range of motion and hold the contraction at the top of the lift for a moment. Also, after each set, flex the traps for a good 20 seconds or so.

I have a cousin who plays football for Marshall and his traps are freaking insane. Most of that came from heavy compound lifting, especially the deadlift, not the shrug. ;)

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
Incline or leaning shrugs hit the lower part of my traps hard. Don't go too heavy, and squeeze the sh!t out of your traps. Proper form is key.

BettrBdyMitch

BettrBdyMitch

Awards
I don't do shrugs very often, I agree that its more about the compound lifts, deads, rack deads, I also like bent over underhand bb rows instead of v-bar rows. I also get it from lateral db raises for shoulders, front bb raises up to your nose as well. I have strong trap development, so much so that my sister started calling me "no neck"

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The traps act as a synergist muscle during any press, dumbbell raise, or rowing movement. You can target the upper parts of the traps better with things like shrugs, but I don't think shrugs are entirely necessary if you're doing everything else.

If you are going to be doing shrugs, make sure you go through a full range of motion and hold the contraction at the top of the lift for a moment. Also, after each set, flex the traps for a good 20 seconds or so.

I have a cousin who plays football for Marshall and his traps are freaking insane. Most of that came from heavy compound lifting, especially the deadlift, not the shrug. ;)
Cleans are the most likely cause for that.

badfish51581

badfish51581

Awards
  • Established
Deads/rack deads...
Deads, Racks, Rows... I'm working with the same problem too.
I don't do shrugs very often, I agree that its more about the compound lifts, deads, rack deads, I also like bent over underhand bb rows instead of v-bar rows.
Powerlifters usually have very big traps and they don't do shrugs - they deadlift and row. Johnny Jackson might also have some of the best traps in pro bodybuilding right now and he comes from a powerlifting background. Coleman and Yates both are well known for their backs (and traps) and also powerlifted in their day.

I would deadlift and row heavy.

MMAMONSTER19

Awards
  • Established
like everyone else said rows,deads, and shrugs as well as upright row hit my traps hard everytime what i started to do that helped make my traps grow are good weight sets of 20 to me traps grow on reps and form not on weight so do less weight more reps one workout but if you want to get them strong you also gotta incorportate heavy weight so your next workout more weight less reps always different grip closehands like on a close grip bench, wide grip, middle grip hold the bar in front of you and stand with the bar behind different variations to help shock your traps, and another to help hit the mid back part of em get an incline bench grab some dbs mid weight and shrug roll your shoulders forward and backwards with good form, and squeeze the **** out of em man peak contractions are what your after atleast for me, also my traps are one of my most noticeable muslces on me i had one guy think i was deformed cuz of how my shoulders met my neck he was some scrawny little dude and didnt realize i had pyramids sittin on my shoulders so you can do what i reccommend or throw it out the window dont matter to me bottom line do shurgs in your workout and lift with your TRAPS NOT YOUR ARMS and they will grow i guarantee it!!!

rxp1997

rxp1997

Awards
  • Established
Also try face pulls, and really work that contraction

Trapstar

Trapstar

Awards
Thanks everyone for all the helpful advice, just got back from the gym and did back/shoulders today.. felt an amazing burning of he muscle when doing about half the weight as usuall but HOLDING my contrations for my shrugs for bout 3 seconds or so.. i really think it helped ALOT. will keep you update. thanks again

Trapstar

Trapstar

Awards
Also another question.. i have a longer neck than most, will getting big traps get rid of that??

jtp217

jtp217

Awards
Yea it'll make your neck appear shorter. Don't expect to have huge traps at your current weight though. Focus on overall development and the traps will come with it.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
what i use to do was grab a pair of 40 pound dumbells put them to the side. get in the power rack and have the bar with 225 lbs and put my favorite song on try to hit 20 reps front shrugs 20 behind the back 20 dumbell rotate and see how many times i can do that b4 the song ended SICK burn.

Lacradocious

Lacradocious

Awards
  • Established
Deadlifts, bent over barbel rows, and seated cable rows. Face pulls are great for developing the rear delt area and the muscles around the scapula. I seem to get a decent trap workout when doing dips keeping my body perpendicular to the floor.

MoTiV

Awards
  • Established
All of these are great suggestions but if you want to hit that area directly you needs to do Kelso Shrugs which target the lower trap area.

Kelso's Shrug Book by Paul Kelso

This book has variations of shrugs that target the lower/mid trap area. The best one that I found is the following:

1. Find an incline bench
2. Get some light/medium dumbbells
3. face down on the bench
4. Grab the dumbbells and squeeze your shoulder blades together and hold for 1-2 seconds and slowly release and repeat

This exercise is not meant to be done with heavy weight. I start out with very low weight and do 8 reps and then get a heavier set of dumbbells and do another 8 until i find a pair which I cant do 8 and then I call it quits. I don't rest inbetween weights either, the time it takes to rerack and get a new pair of weights and setup again is plenty of time. I do this exercise between more important compound lifts like bench and shoulder press.

Get the book if you can it's all you'll ever need if you want huge traps.

Trapstar

Trapstar

Awards
kelso shrugs?? never heard of them hmm i think i know what your describing though.. did you personally have this same problem as i am dealing with?

MoTiV

Awards
  • Established
kelso shrugs?? never heard of them hmm i think i know what your describing though.. did you personally have this same problem as i am dealing with?
No, I've never had a problem with my traps. Kelso shrugs are old school and very muscle specific. In his book he outlines at least 40 different types of shrugs and explains how each can and will help with your primary lifts such as bench and cleans and such. But if it's traps you want then get the book and traps is what you'll get.

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
power cleans

power cleans

power cleans
Yes. Forget any other exercise.

Ok, I exaggerate you can do deads, too. **** everything else though. If your traps won't grow with these, they just won't grow period.

You don't seem to have a lot of muscle on your frame yet either, so be patient.

Trapstar

Trapstar

Awards
do they actually work? like add thickness to that area

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
Yes. Forget any other exercise.

Ok, I exaggerate you can do deads, too. **** everything else though. If your traps won't grow with these, they just won't grow period.

You don't seem to have a lot of muscle on your frame yet either, so be patient.
yes. Well any clean for that matter,....I transitioned to high rep hang cleans in HS senior year due to a knee injury, and these added significant mass to the mid trap area. Also heavy deads are amazing at adding further thickness to the traps, especially when pausing up at top for about 3-5 secs, letting the weight pull down on the traps.

Ive always liked the BIG middle traps appearance, as I like the idea that if I pushed them together I could crack a chestnut,..lol.:lmao:

DeafPrideSS

Awards
Heavy front Barbell shrugs, with grip shoulder-width apart and slight leaning forward. Also you can do Mid-trap shrugs for targeting the mid traps more by doing shrugs on a low row hammer strength machine, or lie face down on a slightly inclined bench and do shrugs off that. Proper rows will also add significant thickness to low trap insertion and mid traps on back day ( I do traps on shoulder day).

i am with you boy!!!! try do rope shrug on seat row.

DeafPrideSS

Awards
try this.. when you do BB front shrug and rear shrug... after you complete your set, go and grab heavy dumbbells and shrug with pause.. say about 10 reps. then go back and start your next set. do the same steps. Other option, after you do front or rear shrug, go and grab 45 lbs of plate (get 1 for each side) walk around the gym shrug and pause for 5 sec. you will feel burn with this one. Good luck.

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
try this.. when you do BB front shrug and rear shrug... after you complete your set, go and grab heavy dumbbells and shrug with pause.. say about 10 reps. then go back and start your next set. do the same steps. Other option, after you do front or rear shrug, go and grab 45 lbs of plate (get 1 for each side) walk around the gym shrug and pause for 5 sec. you will feel burn with this one. Good luck.
That sounds brutal.

sportsbro21

sportsbro21

Awards
  • Established
dont take this the wrong way but your entire back needs alot of work.
this is a routine i did this week, obviously you will use a lil less weight but this is a good example of a real trap/back workout

barbell shruggs- 225x50, 315x30, 405x20, 405x20,405x20
1 set of 20 pull ups to warm up
lat pull downs- tripple drop set (285x7/240x7/210x7) for five sets
bent over barbell rows (underhand grip) 4 sets of 10 at 225
run the rack on 1 arm dumbbell rows 80-100 then back down
4 sets of weighted negatives on pull ups try to get 5-6 reps, count to 10 on the way down

thats what i did this week, i mix it up alot, but i always pound out shruggs first, then pullups or lat pull downd, then seated cable rows, t-bar rows or bent over rows (some times supersetted with light dead lifts), then a good stretching movement, finish with negatives.

good luck man keep workin on it

sportsbro21

sportsbro21

Awards
  • Established
another thing, most people don't do enough volume on their traps. as you can see above, i do alot of reps. high volume is the only thing that makes my traps grow, but everyone is different

ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established
I like using the hack squat machine to do shrugs as well. A little unorthodox, but you can really isolate your traps. Just get under the shoulder pads, and use your traps to move the sled up and down.

AzCat

Awards
Kelso's Shrug Book by Paul Kelso

Get the book if you can it's all you'll ever need if you want huge traps.
Great recommendation. The money quote for me came very early on just after Kelso discussed a couple of truly impressive feats of strength, "[Y]ou trainees who are dinking around with upright rows, face pulls, and close-grip pull downs from overhead, trying to develop some showy little bumps, please give me and yourself a break! Put some weight on the bar and try it my way."

Progress kicked in for me when I began doing heavy (off stands with more than my deadlift max) trap bar shrugs. I had to resort to hooks to keep the bar up long enough to complete the reps but it was exactly what I needed to get my traps going.

MoTiV

Awards
  • Established
Great recommendation. The money quote for me came very early on just after Kelso discussed a couple of truly impressive feats of strength, "[Y]ou trainees who are dinking around with upright rows, face pulls, and close-grip pull downs from overhead, trying to develop some showy little bumps, please give me and yourself a break! Put some weight on the bar and try it my way."

Progress kicked in for me when I began doing heavy (off stands with more than my deadlift max) trap bar shrugs. I had to resort to hooks to keep the bar up long enough to complete the reps but it was exactly what I needed to get my traps going.

Yea regular BB Shrugs became ridiculous for me at 170lbs I'm shrugging 425 for 10 reps while pausing at the top. I thought it was a bit ridiculous and I came across Kelso's book on Amazon and thought I'd give it a shot since I didn't even realize how big the trapezius really was or how to work the mid/lower section.

The book is awesome and offers so many different exercises it really helped keep working out fun and now I think I have a better overall back because of it. I don't do too many of the exercises and sometimes I stop all direct trap training because it develops very fast for me and even though I stick to compound lifts I don't have the time to focus on them.

I don't pay too close attention to my physique but when I hold a mirror up and flex my back comes together, I think I can hide a pencil in the crease my back creates when it comes together lol.

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
Heavy Deadlifts, Powercleans and shrugs my friend. For your back I would add 1 armed rows+ pull ups as well. Do the Power cleans with your shoulder workout though.