is jogging bad for the knees?

  1. is jogging bad for the knees?


    Someone told me jogging is bad for your knees. How true is this? I have a gazelle (I didn't buy it grandmom did) and it seems to work alright, but jogging seems to give me a much better cardio workout.


  2. Only if you buy bad shoes or if you have a degenerative disease. See Wolf's law for reasons why jogging is good.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  3. Have a feeling gazelle is inferior to jogging. I wanted an exercise bike, but she bought that.
    •   
       


  4. Do your knees bother you now?

    I would say go ahead and jog on a soft surface if you can. I weigh 35lbs more than you and I run 35 - 40 miles a week and no knee problems so far but I run on soft dirt/grass.
    Sleep Supplement 3Z BCAA: Red Raspberry and Lemon flavors
    HGH/sleep enhancer: HGHpro
    Test Booster: TestoPRO and STOKED!
    Preworkout: MANIAC Fruit Punch and Pink Lemonade

  5. Quote Originally Posted by CROWLER View Post
    Do your knees bother you now?

    I would say go ahead and jog on a soft surface if you can. I weigh 35lbs more than you and I run 35 - 40 miles a week and no knee problems so far but I run on soft dirt/grass.
    I need do some cardio badly. It seems if I run even a minute my heart beats really fast.

  6. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Only if you buy bad shoes or if you have a degenerative disease. See Wolf's law for reasons why jogging is good.
    ^^ this i was just gonna say something about wolff's law..
    PES Representative
    Don't miss out on the next deal:
    http://pescience.com/insider
    Protein Backed by Science: http://selectprotein.com

  7. I believe it all depends on where you run if I was you I would run on dirt, grass, or if a local school has a track I would run there pavement and concrete can really eat up the knees over time
  8. purebred
    purebred's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by Knewsance View Post
    pavement and concrete can really eat up the knees over time
    i've also heard this many times. wonder if there is any truth to this?

  9. Quote Originally Posted by purebred View Post
    i've also heard this many times. wonder if there is any truth to this?
    Inadequate footwear is a more likely culprit.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

  10. purebred
    purebred's Avatar

    very true. i was referring to jogging on concrete surfaces and such w/adequate footwear. i would suppose that depends on genetics, no?

  11. Quote Originally Posted by purebred View Post
    very true. i was referring to jogging on concrete surfaces and such w/adequate footwear. i would suppose that depends on genetics, no?
    Partially, but it is very diet influenced as well. Most people eat a very acidic diet, which is inflammatory within the body.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

  12. purebred
    purebred's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Partially, but it is very diet influenced as well. Most people eat a very acidic diet, which is inflammatory within the body.
    i think i remember learning about this in nutrition. this concerns pH balance within the body, correct?

  13. Quote Originally Posted by purebred View Post
    i think i remember learning about this in nutrition. this concerns pH balance within the body, correct?
    Exactly.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  14. I was an avid runner through my 30s and early 40s but always stayed on grass or when indoors used a low impact trainer such as the elliptical. I recall the few occasions I ran on ashpalt or wet beach sand(felt like concrete) that my knees/legs would be sore for hours afterwards.

    I used cross trainer shoes with Dr. Scholls or similar cushioned implants inside. The ones designed for runners.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Jogging 15-20mins 3x a week
    By soseg in forum Bulking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-02-2007, 10:13 PM
  2. Jogging shoes for the treadmill
    By p951 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-20-2007, 12:28 AM
  3. Jogging shoes for the treadmill
    By p951 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-29-2007, 08:24 PM
  4. Running/Jogging with a Rucksack
    By Highlanda01602 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-12-2007, 04:43 PM
  5. Rib cramping during jogging
    By Head Nurse in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-10-2005, 09:21 AM
Log in
Log in