German Volume Training.....

LiLShAnK357

Awards
I have read a few articles about this training style and decided to try it out today and all I have to say about it is..... WOW WOW and WOW

I did this with legs today... Been lifting hard for a year and a half and needed something new.. Legs is by far my favorite thing to do.

For those who don't know what GVT is.... You find a weight you can rep 10 times( you want it to be challenging, but not super hard) wait 60-90 seconds and do another set of 10 reps for a total of 10 sets which = 100 reps. It is sick, I did this today for my leg workout... I like my last few sets to be heavier because my legs grow better with heavier sets.

Smith Squat 9 sets at 105 ( last set at 125)
Seated Leg Curls 10 sets at 90
Leg Press 8 sets at 200 ( my last 2 sets i did 250 for the 9th then 310 had to get a good pump)
Seated Leg Extenstions 9sets at 90 ( last set i did 130)
Calf Press on Leg Press 9 sets at 200 ( last set i did 290)
Stiff Legged Dumbbell Deadlift 9 sets at 40LBS ( last set was 60LB Bells) This was the death of me! Man im so sore now but in a good way!

For those of you that need a change well here it is! IF you wanna know more about it pick up the new Muscle Mag which should be on news stands in a few days!

Delta Force

Delta Force

PES Rep
Awards
  • Established
I was reading that same article today and I'm considering adapting something like this on the weekends when i can spend more time in the gym, the down side to this work out is that it requieres a lot to time to compete all those sets, but i bet its a killer workout.

LiLShAnK357

Awards
I was reading that same article today and I'm considering adapting something like this on the weekends when i can spend more time in the gym, the down side to this work out is that it requieres a lot to time to compete all those sets, but i bet its a killer workout.
It is more like German Violated Training! Def Sicko!

LiLShAnK357

Awards
German Volume Training Day 2 : Traps/Delts

Did it again today. By the way my hamstrings feel like someone cut them with a scissors. It hurts to bend down! Anyway i did day 2 of GVT working the traps and delts:

I did stretch for about 2 minutes before i started lifting:

-Seated Dumbbell Overhead Military Press 9 sets at 30LBS (40LBS last set)

-Seated Arnold Presses 10 sets at 25LB Bells( this was very intense as its very similar to the overhead military press)

-Barbell Shrug in Power Cage 10 sets at 135LBS ( double shrugs meaning i shrug once and then try to lift higher each rep)

-Military Barbell Press I did 2 warm up sets with just the bar as my shoulders were killing me. My sets were 8 sets at 65 lbs ( last 2 sets at 95 LBS)

-Seated Behind the Neck Military Barbell Press 8 sets at 60 LBS (last 2 sets at 70 LBS)

After i complete the 10 set of whatever I am doing I take 2-3 minutes to catch my full breath. I also usually stretch after each set to make sure I dont totally destroy something.

Alls i take is 2 scoops of MRI Black Powder and Glutamine before I lift. Post workout is more glutamine and 60G Protein Shake and lots of stretching.

MoTiV

Awards
  • Established
I'm not trying to argue with you or make anyone mad but the GVT that I know of is when you take one compound exercise for each bodypart and do 10x10.

There is no way I could ever do 6 exercises of GVT for one bodypart in one workout especially squats.

Delta Force

Delta Force

PES Rep
Awards
  • Established
I'm not trying to argue with you or make anyone mad but the GVT that I know of is when you take one compound exercise for each bodypart and do 10x10.

There is no way I could ever do 6 sets of GVT for one bodypart in one workout especially squats.
you are right about that, GVT is about doing one compound exercise 10x10... usually the last exercise but you should use less weight

LiLShAnK357

Awards

There is no way I could ever do 6 exercises of GVT for one bodypart in one workout especially squats.
I do it all 10 x 10. I read also do it on on super move each part but why not do it all.... Go big or go home is a saying me and my friends use when lifting. I did the squats first because they were the most grueling i thought

LiLShAnK357

Awards
you are right about that, GVT is about doing one compound exercise 10x10... usually the last exercise but you should use less weight
Also with the amount of weight im using for these sets isn't out of this world either. I ony use heavy heavy on the last set usually

Delta Force

Delta Force

PES Rep
Awards
  • Established
i think overall its a good way to change your workout routine, my biggest concern is the amount of time needed to complete such workouts, I will use such routine on the weekends when i have more time to spare at the gym

MoTiV

Awards
  • Established
Yea I can't imagine finishing a workout like that within a hour. The primary part of GVT is 60 seconds rest in between sets maybe less but never any more.

That time would be better spent at home eating food.

LiLShAnK357

Awards
Yea I can't imagine finishing a workout like that within a hour. The primary part of GVT is 60 seconds rest in between sets maybe less but never any more.

That time would be better spent at home eating food.
Well let me tell you from first hand experience if your hardcore into lifting like I am then it's just something you go in focused and ready to do it. My traps feel like they are being stepped on right now as im sitting here typing this. I love it! Im strict on the 60 second rest peroids for the first 8 sets, but I read in several places the primary rest time is 60 - 90 seconds. Never the less I only use the 90 seconds on the last 2 sets when i up the weight. Then just relax for 4-5 minutes and start something new!

LiLShAnK357

Awards
Im taking today off as I worked out 5 days last week the final 2 days were the GVT.

Tomorrow im going to hit up the chest hard hard hard.

MoTiV

Awards
  • Established
Well let me tell you from first hand experience if your hardcore into lifting like I am then it's just something you go in focused and ready to do it. My traps feel like they are being stepped on right now as im sitting here typing this. I love it! Im strict on the 60 second rest peroids for the first 8 sets, but I read in several places the primary rest time is 60 - 90 seconds. Never the less I only use the 90 seconds on the last 2 sets when i up the weight. Then just relax for 4-5 minutes and start something new!

I can tell by your attitude that your not interested in any real discussion or open to any other opinions except your own so good luck and have fun

:squintfinger:

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
I thought GVT was ONE compound exercise for 10x10, and 2-3 auxillary exercises for 2-3 sets x 12 reps? I couldn't possibly do anymore, if you do the 10x10 correctly. The trick is to expend all of your effort in those 10x10. It's not just about throwing some plates on there and counting down.

MoTiV

Awards
  • Established
I thought GVT was ONE compound exercise for 10x10, and 2-3 auxillary exercises for 2-3 sets x 12 reps? I couldn't possibly do anymore, if you do the 10x10 correctly. The trick is to expend all of your effort in those 10x10. It's not just about throwing some plates on there and counting down.
it is.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
it is not. but its more somewhere in the middle :D its meant to be two exercises that are 10x10s, and 2 that are 3x10-12s

This is a sample German Volume Training routine based on a five-day cycle. Once you've used this method for six workouts per body part, it's time to move on to a more intensive program for a three-week period.

Day 1: Chest and Back

Exercise Sets Reps Tempo Rest Interval
A-1 Decline Dumbbell Presses, Semi-Supinated Grip (palms facing each other) 10 10 4 0 2 0 90 sec
A-2 Chin-Ups (palms facing you) 10 10 4 0 2 0 90 sec
B-1 Incline Dumbbell Flies 3 10-12 3 0 2 0 60 sec
B-2 One-Arm Dumbbell Rows 3 10-12 3 0 2 0 60 sec
Notes: Rest 90 seconds between each "A" exercise and each superset; rest 60 seconds between each "B" exercise and each superset. Incidentally, I only recommend three sets of ten in this program for the "B" exercises. The "B" exercises constitute supplementary work, and doing ten sets of them would result in over-training.

Day 2: Legs and Abs

A-1 Back Squats 10 10 4 0 2 0 90 sec
A-2 Lying Leg Curls 10 10 4 0 2 0 90 sec
B-1 Low-Cable Pull-Ins* 3 15-20 2 0 2 0 60 sec
B-2 Seated Calf Raises 3 15-20 2 0 2 0 60 sec
(*Take a weightlifting belt and buckle it. Attach it to the low pulley of a cable crossover machine. Lie down on your back in front of the machine, and hook your feet in the belt. Then pull your knees towards your chest.)

Notes: Rest 90 seconds between each "A" exercise and each superset; rest 60 seconds between each "B" exercise and each superset.

Day 3: Off

Day 4: Arms and Shoulders

A-1 Parallel Bar Dips 10 10 4 0 2 0 90 sec
A-2 Incline Hammer Curls 10 10 4 0 2 0 90 sec
B-1 Bent-Over Dumbbell Lateral Raises* 3 10-12 2 0 X 0 60 sec
B-2 Seated Dumbbell Lateral Raises 3 10-12 2 0 X 0 60 sec

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
I do it all 10 x 10. I read also do it on on super move each part but why not do it all.... Go big or go home is a saying me and my friends use when lifting. I did the squats first because they were the most grueling i thought
holy overtraining batman!

MoTiV

Awards
  • Established
Your right EasyEJL you can do 2 exercises but I've never seen anything more than that. Personally lying leg curls 10x10 is too much for me after squats and I like to jump out of the bed in the morning not fall and wimper like a baby.

I like the CH/Back routine though that one is always fun. Is there one for shoulders? I usually do OH press and upright rows.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I dont recall ever seeing a shoulder-centric GVT workout. I think since its meant for mass gaining, it tries to just hit the major mass muscles, both because they can grow the most, as well as them giving the biggest hormone boost

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
I actually did a GVT workout today thanks to this thread. 10x10 inverted rows

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
it is not. but its more somewhere in the middle :D its meant to be two exercises that are 10x10s, and 2 that are 3x10-12s
Good to know !!! Two exercises for same bodypart or different?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
well, theres one example above so sort of :) I think the idea is that one should be a primarily compound one, while the other is more specific, but same body area. theres a number of variations on it.

SoCo4Fun

SoCo4Fun

Awards
  • Established
Unless the OP is on right now he's over training...one maybe two exercises with 10x10 would be gruesome...doing more than that is either overtraining or not pushing yourself hard enough on each exercise...

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
the thing that sucks most about GVT is that it takes almost the whole first cycle of it to figure out what your damn weights should be. its supposed to be a 5 day rotation, and I think no more than 4 or 5 repeats of the rotation. The first week you aren't even close on most exercises. I mean seriously, take a wild guess at what your 10 sets of 10 reps squats would be without changing the weights the entire time, how close do you think you'll get? and since each of the 10x10 exercises only gets repeated once per rotation, you are easily at the 3rd or even 4th rotation before you get it right, then you basically get 1 or 2 good workouts with appropriate weight per body part.

squats day sucks, and is wonderful at the same time. If you do a non-carb PWO meal after that, you keep a huge euphoria afterwards from the GH release

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
Or, you could go about finding all your 1 Rep Maxes, or 10 Rep Maxes and adjust accordingly.

Why waste 4 weeks of ineffectiveness, when you can have fun maxing out for a couple of weeks?

I'm starting advanced GVT pretty soon. It shall be fun.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
well, see the thing is that you run one round of GVT, then spend a 4-8 weeks doing some other workout style, then return to GVT. at that point week 1 you just use the same weights as you ended up with last time, and you make much better progress then

MoTiV

Awards
  • Established
the thing that sucks most about GVT is that it takes almost the whole first cycle of it to figure out what your damn weights should be. its supposed to be a 5 day rotation, and I think no more than 4 or 5 repeats of the rotation. The first week you aren't even close on most exercises. I mean seriously, take a wild guess at what your 10 sets of 10 reps squats would be without changing the weights the entire time, how close do you think you'll get? and since each of the 10x10 exercises only gets repeated once per rotation, you are easily at the 3rd or even 4th rotation before you get it right, then you basically get 1 or 2 good workouts with appropriate weight per body part.

squats day sucks, and is wonderful at the same time. If you do a non-carb PWO meal after that, you keep a huge euphoria afterwards from the GH release
I've done GVT routines in the past focusing on squats and you really need to know your 1RM. Technically you should be able to handle 60% of you 1RM for 10x10 with 60 seconds rest inbetween sets. However, its best to start at 50-55% because your body needs to get used to the high reps. I read this somewhere in an article on GVT and it works for me.

I altered GVT by adding 5 lbs every week and changing the reps going down to either 9x10 or alternating between 8 and 9 reps x 10 sets. The following week I'd try to up it back to 10x10 and when I reached 10x10 I would increase the weight or go ahead and just increase the weight and work down to 7x10. It was fun but personally I can only do it for a few weeks.

LiLShAnK357

Awards
As of last week i decided to do the GVT for a high volume workout for a month or 2 as alls i have been doing for a while is pyramid training. 10-8-6-4. I found it quite repetitive after a while so GVT all the way. Some call doing all my sets 10x10 over training. I agree its a lot yes. But i honestly believe in working out is supposed to be a chore, sure it can be fun but I like intensity and getting sweaty and banging out reps. More importantly I like waking up and the muscles I worked the day before to be sore. I feel more accomplished.

I did not feel chest today so I did Biceps and Triceps:

Warm up- Stretched for 5 Minutes.

Dumbbell Curls with 25LBS (curl each arm once counts as 1 rep) 10 sets

Seated Overhead Dumbbell Tricep Extensions- 8 sets with #30 Bell, 9th/10th set with #35 Bell, 11th with #40 Bell ---- my favorite weight training exercie by far thats why I did more sets

Hammer Curls with 20LB Bells 8 Sets, 9th set with 25LB Bells, 10th/11th with 30LBS

Cable Machine Tricep Pushdown at 84LBS 11 sets

Barbell Curls at 60LBS 10 sets- this was my last exercise so I took full advantage of the rest peroid. My biceps here were getting a massive pump and after I dropped the bar after each set I could feel the burn.

I know the correct way of doing GVT is doing 1-2 compound exercises after doing other sets that aren't all 10x10.

I am simply trying my own style of german volume training. SoCo4Fun you can best believe im pushing myself I'm sweating like a pig and I can feel the burn on my muscles by the 7th or 8th set. Im doing this training with a friend and we both are feeling it without a doubt.

I honestly believe this 10x10 will be a huge factor in turning excess bodyfat into muscle and my traps and legs already feel like a million bucks now. My legs just now got back to 100% from my leg day of training

:bruce3:

LiLShAnK357

Awards
I can tell by your attitude that your not interested in any real discussion or open to any other opinions except your own so good luck and have fun

:squintfinger:
Huh, I guess I didnt know I had an attitude. Im just stating my progress on here with my 10x10 training. Im open to opinions, I wouldn't start this thread if I didnt want peoples input on it. I have a weight training journal if i want to keep it all to myself

MoTiV

Awards
  • Established
Well let me tell you from first hand experience if your hardcore into lifting like I am then it's just something you go in focused and ready to do it.

For some reason this statement turned me the wrong way. I'm not trying to flame but when someone mentions hardcore I just kind of roll my eyes, it's nothing personal and like I said I'm not trying to flame or troll. Hardcore means different things to different people so I'll just leave it at that.

I don't know your weight lifting experience and limitations so I have to ask:

Why don't you do regular parallel squats?

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
well, see the thing is that you run one round of GVT, then spend a 4-8 weeks doing some other workout style, then return to GVT. at that point week 1 you just use the same weights as you ended up with last time, and you make much better progress then
You mean doing the whole 12 week GVT and then coming back 4-8 weeks later? That's a nice thought.