Lifts I do that I seldom, if ever, see others do
- 02-13-2009, 02:28 PM
Lifts I do that I seldom, if ever, see others do
1. Weighted dips-I don't know why so few people do these, but they give great thickness and strength to the chest, triceps, and deltoids. They also help to point out any muscular imbalances when doing them (e.g. weak traps).
2. Overhead press-I love this lift and they actually make my deltoids sore, which is rare for me. Also, a good indicator of core strength.
3. Facepulls-help to carve out the posterior deltoids and you cannot butcher the technique as with other lifts.
4. Walking lunges-brutal and give you more hamstring and glute development that any other lifts.M.Ed. Ex Phys
- 02-13-2009, 02:37 PM
02-13-2009, 04:58 PM
02-13-2009, 05:20 PM
i did 2 out of 4 of those this week, and used to do 3 out of 4 of those
no overhead press for me, though clean and press is a nightmare all its own
02-13-2009, 05:35 PM
02-13-2009, 05:38 PM
02-13-2009, 06:12 PM
02-13-2009, 08:17 PM
02-13-2009, 08:24 PM
I do all of those, but havent done the walking lunges for while.... Note to self: do walking lunges, thanks rodja.
02-13-2009, 08:37 PM
- Dead Hang Pull Ups - Helps just about every other lift
- Rotator Bar Pull Downs - Works the Lats in a unique way and helps rehab shoulders
- Scapular Pull Ups - Anyone that presses shoud do these
- Strict Reverse Curls - May help with elbow pain for some
- Standing Ab Movements - Other than fighters not many people use their core on the ground, so why train it that way
- Y-T-L-W - Awesome shoulder warmup and rehab exercises
- Good Mornings - 9 out of 10 gym go'ers probably don't even know what they are. Builds up your posterior chain like crazy
- Terminal Knee Extensions - Helps alleviate and prevent knee pain, also helps with lockouts of your squat and deadlift
- Glute Ham Raises - With or without a GH bench, these will build up your hamstrings and glutes quickly.
- Dumbbell Pullovers - Old bodybuilding staple that is seldom used anymore
- Zercher Squats/Deadlifts - Holy hell will these build muscle! This is one exercise I need to start doing myself.
- Mobility Training, Foam Rolling, Traction, etc - Seems like no one uses these until something goes wrong.
Muscle Pharm Rep
02-13-2009, 08:43 PM
1. Weighted dips-I don't do these anymore because of the stress I already seem to have on my shoulders... I use dips as a failure exercise
2. Overhead press-Love these too but I do them seated. I started doing them standing but stopped because I got lazy I guess
3. Facepulls-What are these?
4. Walking lunges-Love these too but I only do them about 3 times a month. I alternate between standing lunges
02-13-2009, 08:49 PM
02-13-2009, 09:15 PM
02-13-2009, 09:30 PM
F*ck yes. I'm all over weighted dips. I completely pwn everyone I've ever seen doing them, in real life, that is.
02-13-2009, 10:21 PM
I do all of them every single week except weighted dips. I do varying forms of dips but not with weight.
02-13-2009, 11:23 PM
I am all over every one of these lifts. I do all 4 of them every week and like you said, I rarely see anyone else do them, especially the face pulls. I discovered these when I was having trouble getting my rear delts to contract easily. Done with proper form, they are awesome for your upper back and rear delt development.
02-14-2009, 12:00 AM
Barbell lunges(not walking) all the way down left , right
Weighted dips(when i could do them got up to 3 plates one time- arm is getting better so I did regular dips nicely last time)
Incline glute ham raises
reverse grip barbell rows(make sure form is strict on these while doign heavy weight or you risk a bicep tear[Dorian yates tore his this way])
zercher squats these worked alright only got up to 225 for 4 reps I think and didnt stick with them.
barbell Front squats - experimented with these for years off and on. never got over 185 lbs for 4 reps...just started them yesterday. they choke me out where I have to do them fast or I cant breathe. so its usually not high reps
Sumo leg press(for hammies)
reverse smith bench press
probably more...tired of posting right now
I could use a ssb bar or whatever its called and a zercher squat bar. Maybe in due time Ill buy this expensive equipment.
Facebook John Smeton Fitness
02-14-2009, 12:41 AM
02-14-2009, 04:10 AM
02-14-2009, 05:31 AM
weighted dips is something i rarely see people do and i don't do them myself.
I think i shud get into it though. Where is the weight strapped?
02-14-2009, 08:11 AM
02-14-2009, 09:09 AM
02-14-2009, 02:22 PM
Clean and jerk
Sumo-deadlift high pull
Kettle bell swings
To name a few.
I think too many people try and focus on one legged blind folded triceps kick backs while on wobble boards (exaggeration) type moves and forget about the multitude of powerful olympic lifts.
ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
Strongest On The Market
RECOVERBRO: Est. Post #3222
02-14-2009, 02:35 PM
02-14-2009, 02:37 PM
Similar Forum Threads
- By Rommel65 in forum Powerlifting/StrongmanReplies: 9Last Post: 12-14-2009, 04:21 PM
- By spatch in forum Training ForumReplies: 7Last Post: 11-20-2005, 09:49 PM
- By windwords7 in forum Weight LossReplies: 9Last Post: 04-23-2004, 04:35 PM
- By YellowJacket in forum General ChatReplies: 6Last Post: 03-21-2003, 04:54 PM
- By JohnGafnea in forum Weight LossReplies: 18Last Post: 03-12-2003, 02:22 AM