Lifts I do that I seldom, if ever, see others do

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
1. Weighted dips-I don't know why so few people do these, but they give great thickness and strength to the chest, triceps, and deltoids. They also help to point out any muscular imbalances when doing them (e.g. weak traps).

2. Overhead press-I love this lift and they actually make my deltoids sore, which is rare for me. Also, a good indicator of core strength.

3. Facepulls-help to carve out the posterior deltoids and you cannot butcher the technique as with other lifts.

4. Walking lunges-brutal and give you more hamstring and glute development that any other lifts.

SoCo4Fun

SoCo4Fun

Awards
  • Established
Weighted dips are sick...not only is it an awesome lift but it looks wicked badass...

HATEFULone

HATEFULone

Awards
  • Established
I fully agree, I would add inverted DB military and 20 rep squats.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
i did 2 out of 4 of those this week, and used to do 3 out of 4 of those :)

no overhead press for me, though clean and press is a nightmare all its own :)

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Push-press should be on there as well! No better.

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Nobody does lifts like Ross...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57pv_1j4dH0"]YouTube - Hardcore Training - RossTraining.com[/ame]

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
I do all of those, but havent done the walking lunges for while.... Note to self: do walking lunges, thanks rodja.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
  1. Dead Hang Pull Ups - Helps just about every other lift
  2. Rotator Bar Pull Downs - Works the Lats in a unique way and helps rehab shoulders
  3. Scapular Pull Ups - Anyone that presses shoud do these
  4. Strict Reverse Curls - May help with elbow pain for some
  5. Standing Ab Movements - Other than fighters not many people use their core on the ground, so why train it that way
  6. Y-T-L-W - Awesome shoulder warmup and rehab exercises
  7. Good Mornings - 9 out of 10 gym go'ers probably don't even know what they are. Builds up your posterior chain like crazy
  8. Terminal Knee Extensions - Helps alleviate and prevent knee pain, also helps with lockouts of your squat and deadlift
  9. Glute Ham Raises - With or without a GH bench, these will build up your hamstrings and glutes quickly.
  10. Dumbbell Pullovers - Old bodybuilding staple that is seldom used anymore
  11. Zercher Squats/Deadlifts - Holy hell will these build muscle! This is one exercise I need to start doing myself.
  12. Mobility Training, Foam Rolling, Traction, etc - Seems like no one uses these until something goes wrong.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
1. Weighted dips-I don't do these anymore because of the stress I already seem to have on my shoulders... I use dips as a failure exercise

2. Overhead press-Love these too but I do them seated. I started doing them standing but stopped because I got lazy I guess

3. Facepulls-What are these?

4. Walking lunges-Love these too but I only do them about 3 times a month. I alternate between standing lunges

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
1. Weighted dips-I don't do these anymore because of the stress I already seem to have on my shoulders... I use dips as a failure exercise

2. Overhead press-Love these too but I do them seated. I started doing them standing but stopped because I got lazy I guess

3. Facepulls-What are these?

4. Walking lunges-Love these too but I only do them about 3 times a month. I alternate between standing lunges
Face Pulls

AllMaxBrian

Awards
  1. Dead Hang Pull Ups - Helps just about every other lift
  2. Rotator Bar Pull Downs - Works the Lats in a unique way and helps rehab shoulders
  3. Scapular Pull Ups - Anyone that presses shoud do these
  4. Strict Reverse Curls - May help with elbow pain for some
  5. Standing Ab Movements - Other than fighters not many people use their core on the ground, so why train it that way
  6. Y-T-L-W - Awesome shoulder warmup and rehab exercises
  7. Good Mornings - 9 out of 10 gym go'ers probably don't even know what they are. Builds up your posterior chain like crazy
  8. Terminal Knee Extensions - Helps alleviate and prevent knee pain, also helps with lockouts of your squat and deadlift
  9. Glute Ham Raises - With or without a GH bench, these will build up your hamstrings and glutes quickly.
  10. Dumbbell Pullovers - Old bodybuilding staple that is seldom used anymore
  11. Zercher Squats/Deadlifts - Holy hell will these build muscle! This is one exercise I need to start doing myself.
  12. Mobility Training, Foam Rolling, Traction, etc - Seems like no one uses these until something goes wrong.
Great list. I used to do Good Mornings all the time, can't remember why I stopped doing those. And mobility training does get neglected, it seems to be reserved only for physical therapy.

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
F*ck yes. I'm all over weighted dips. I completely pwn everyone I've ever seen doing them, in real life, that is.

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I do all of them every single week except weighted dips. I do varying forms of dips but not with weight.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I am all over every one of these lifts. I do all 4 of them every week and like you said, I rarely see anyone else do them, especially the face pulls. I discovered these when I was having trouble getting my rear delts to contract easily. Done with proper form, they are awesome for your upper back and rear delt development.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Barbell lunges(not walking) all the way down left , right
Deadlifts
Rack deads
Weighted dips(when i could do them got up to 3 plates one time- arm is getting better so I did regular dips nicely last time)
Goodmornings
Incline glute ham raises
reverse grip barbell rows(make sure form is strict on these while doign heavy weight or you risk a bicep tear[Dorian yates tore his this way])
sldl
zercher squats these worked alright only got up to 225 for 4 reps I think and didnt stick with them.
barbell Front squats - experimented with these for years off and on. never got over 185 lbs for 4 reps...just started them yesterday. they choke me out where I have to do them fast or I cant breathe. so its usually not high reps
Sumo leg press(for hammies)
reverse smith bench press
box squats

probably more...tired of posting right now

I could use a ssb bar or whatever its called and a zercher squat bar. Maybe in due time Ill buy this expensive equipment.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
Barbell lunges(not walking) all the way down left , right
Deadlifts
Rack deads
Weighted dips(when i could do them got up to 3 plates one time- arm is getting better so I did regular dips nicely last time)
Goodmornings
Incline glute ham raises
reverse grip barbell rows(make sure form is strict on these while doign heavy weight or you risk a bicep tear[Dorian yates tore his this way])
sldl
zercher squats these worked alright only got up to 225 for 4 reps I think and didnt stick with them.
barbell Front squats - experimented with these for years off and on. never got over 185 lbs for 4 reps...just started them yesterday. they choke me out where I have to do them fast or I cant breathe. so its usually not high reps
Sumo leg press(for hammies)
reverse smith bench press
box squats

probably more...tired of posting right now

I could use a ssb bar or whatever its called and a zercher squat bar. Maybe in due time Ill buy this expensive equipment.
wow ur my type of guy if u do these lifts lol no homo

I do deadlifts,rack deads, weighted dips, good mornings (some ppl look at me like squatting wrong) then i deadlift a good 40 pounds more then them :lmao: and i do front squats and reverse smith bench.

BoyFromAus

Awards
  • Established
weighted dips is something i rarely see people do and i don't do them myself.
I think i shud get into it though. Where is the weight strapped?

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
weighted dips is something i rarely see people do and i don't do them myself.
I think i shud get into it though. Where is the weight strapped?
Around your waist.
I use a strap contraption they have at my gym. Basically a wide belt with a chain and hook.

On lighter days I will use the weighted balls. Cross your legs and let the ball rest in there. Our "balls" go to 15 pounds. lol

tribaltek

tribaltek

All Traps - No Tris
Awards
  • Established
Face pulls are one of my new favorite exercises. Didn't start doing them until a few months ago.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Push press
Push jerk
Clean and jerk
Squat cleans
Hang cleans
Hang snatch
Power snatch
Power clean
Sumo-deadlift high pull
Overhead squat
Kettle bell swings

To name a few.

I think too many people try and focus on one legged blind folded triceps kick backs while on wobble boards (exaggeration) type moves and forget about the multitude of powerful olympic lifts.

AllMaxBrian

Awards
Push press
Push jerk
Clean and jerk
Squat cleans
Hang cleans
Hang snatch
Power snatch
Power clean
Sumo-deadlift high pull
Overhead squat
Kettle bell swings

To name a few.

I think too many people try and focus on one legged blind folded triceps kick backs while on wobble boards (exaggeration) type moves and forget about the multitude of powerful olympic lifts.
Agreed - isolation exercises are all the rage; I don't understand why guys will do 5 sets of DB curls, 5 sets of concentration curls, 5 sets of BB curls and 5 sets of preacher curls but refuse to do deadlifts.

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
It's a shame
Just to play devil's advocate, as a strength & conditioning coach, I'm all about the Olympic Lifts, however, this being primarily a bodybuilding board, power is understandably a secondary concern, or perhaps more accurately, a tertiary concern here, if at all.

Obviously I train my athlete's with power movements, but if I were personal training someone for bodybuilding purposes, I wouldn't use power movements to optimally stimulate hypertrophy.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I don't feel this is primarily a bodybuilding forum. It's quite evenly diverse IMO. I do see your point on that, but still believe those lifts have their place, even in bodybuilding.

And I think they are more fun.

luke1984

luke1984

Awards
  • Established
In my gym:

99% doesn't do deadlifts
95% doesn't do any leg exercise, and of those who do, only a few do squats
90% doesn't do overhead presses
90% works on chest and biceps 3 times a week

My gym sucks....

aanderso1986

Awards
In my gym:

99% doesn't do deadlifts

My gym sucks....
completely agree with that, i lift the same time every night and see the same people and maybe 3 guys lift legs, ridiculous...

+1 for deadlifts and rack lifts

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
In my gym:

99% doesn't do deadlifts

My gym sucks....
shush...........shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..........

I dont have to wait for the squat rack as it stand now. Dont ruin it for me.

Its our little secret. Remember the squat rack is for curls only. lol

Pleonastic

Pleonastic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
In my gym:

99% doesn't do deadlifts

My gym sucks....

Well then all the machines and racks for that kind of stuff should be free for you to use.... so u cant really say your gym sucks, maybe just the people that go there.

Pleonastic

Pleonastic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My firend used to bench press and he would throw the weight up at the top and catch it then come back down. I seen him do it with 135LBS hed throw it up a good 3inches. Dangerous? Yes Impressive? Kinda.

A show off move showing some skill I guess. Crazy guy.

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Romanian Deadlifts
Good Mornings
Weighted Chins
T-Bar Rows - can't believe you guys left this out!

AllMaxBrian

Awards
Romanian Deadlifts
Good Mornings
Weighted Chins
T-Bar Rows - can't believe you guys left this out!
Yeah, when I'm doing Romanian Deadlifts people look at me as if I'm royally messing up a regular dead.

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Yeah, when I'm doing Romanian Deadlifts people look at me as if I'm royally messing up a regular dead.
haha - I always to a lot of warmup sets with RDFs and GMs - there's a fair bit of balance required

SoCo4Fun

SoCo4Fun

Awards
  • Established

I get taht on Rack Pulls...People look at me weird...I have to assume it is because of the partial range of motion and sh1t ton of weight...

AllMaxBrian

Awards
I get taht on Rack Pulls...People look at me weird...I have to assume it is because of the partial range of motion and sh1t ton of weight...
Yeah, some people just don't understand what exercises are if they're not curls or presses...