flexibility has gone to hell

elementrip

elementrip

Awards
  • Established
I skate, snowboard, and lift. My problem is that in a little over 3 years i've gained 85lbs. 90% of which being muscle mass. My flexibility is **** now. Any training routines, specific exercises you'd recommend my starting that will help some. I dont intend to lose weight, in fact gain more. I plan on competing in the rocky mountain in about a year and a half. But i'd like to still be able to continue riding in both cases. Thanks in advance!

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I would say to focus on functional movements. Functional movements are universal motor recruitment patterns; they are performed in a wave of contraction from core to extremity; and they are compound movements—i.e., they are multi-joint. They are natural, effective, and efficient locomotors of body and external objects. As well as Core Gymnastic movements.

Ultimately though, I would say get out and actively participate in sports! Get out there and skate, snowboard, bike, run, row, climb and anything else you may want to do. Doing blindfolded, one legged, triceps kick backs while standing on a wobble board (exaggeration) are not necessarily conducive to many sports. Arnold was big, but no doubt he couldn't beat me on the obstacle course we have here on base (I'm military).

elementrip

elementrip

Awards
  • Established
I would say to focus on functional movements. Functional movements are universal motor recruitment patterns; they are performed in a wave of contraction from core to extremity; and they are compound movements—i.e., they are multi-joint. They are natural, effective, and efficient locomotors of body and external objects. As well as Core Gymnastic movements.

Ultimately though, I would say get out and actively participate in sports! Get out there and skate, snowboard, bike, run, row, climb and anything else you may want to do. Doing blindfolded, one legged, triceps kick backs while standing on a wobble board (exaggeration) are not necessarily conducive to many sports. Arnold was big, but no doubt he couldn't beat me on the obstacle course we have here on base (I'm military).
Thanks for the post man, and as for the kickbacks joke: got a laugh for sure.

I'll do some research and implement at the very least within my current regimen. you know your stuff, rep'n out of respect for knowing your stuff before just posting. Thanks again

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
No problem man, just mix things up. You can be big and flexible, it just takes more than isolated muscle lifts. For whatever people want to say about him, Brock Lesner is a shining example of it.

elementrip

elementrip

Awards
  • Established
No problem man, just mix things up. You can be big and flexible, it just takes more than isolated muscle lifts. For whatever people want to say about him, Brock Lesner is a shining example of it.
Not very familiar with Brock Lesner, but i do know marvelous melvin anthony can knock out splits and compete at worldclass BB level so it must be possible.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Brock is a former WWE Wrestler turned MMA fighter. He actually has quite a reputable wrestling background and weighs in 265lbs at 6'3". Just saying for a big guy he's fast and flexible.

elementrip

elementrip

Awards
  • Established
Yeah i'd say so. most WWE/WWF guys couldnt handle MMA i think. so for him to put his money where his mouth is in a way is quite nice to see!!

BettrBdyMitch

BettrBdyMitch

Awards
doing martial arts personally, I end up spending time stretching between sets during my weight training. It has help with my flexibility, and actually hypertrophy as well. I have put on about 18lbs in the last 7 months, and without the stretching, I wouldn't be able to do the amount of Jiu Jitsu I do.

I also do spend a bit of extra time stretching before any athletic activity, as I do skateboard, wakeboard, muay thai and much more. As it gets to the point it effects my ability in athletics I will switch it up to incorporate more compound excersized for my strength training. In fact, last night I did some strength/conditioning circuits with a buddy of mine who trains with Chuck Liddell, he kicked my ass last night.

elementrip

elementrip

Awards
  • Established
doing martial arts personally, I end up spending time stretching between sets during my weight training. It has help with my flexibility, and actually hypertrophy as well. I have put on about 18lbs in the last 7 months, and without the stretching, I wouldn't be able to do the amount of Jiu Jitsu I do.

I also do spend a bit of extra time stretching before any athletic activity, as I do skateboard, wakeboard, muay thai and much more. As it gets to the point it effects my ability in athletics I will switch it up to incorporate more compound excersized for my strength training. In fact, last night I did some strength/conditioning circuits with a buddy of mine who trains with Chuck Liddell, he kicked my ass last night.
I try to incorporate a little strecth pre workout and a couple midway points but not to the point where i allow blood pooling from long held stretches or anything. I'm thinking of getting a deep tissue massage, though painful it may alleviate a little of my tightness especially in my lower back region.

Thats awesome that you get to train with men of that caliber man!

BettrBdyMitch

BettrBdyMitch

Awards
I try to incorporate a little strecth pre workout and a couple midway points but not to the point where i allow blood pooling from long held stretches or anything. I'm thinking of getting a deep tissue massage, though painful it may alleviate a little of my tightness especially in my lower back region.

Thats awesome that you get to train with men of that caliber man!
Thanks, I have been very fortunate to have the experience I have, by no means am I a complete badass or anything, but I follow martial arts/mma pretty heavily. My first training session with a pro fighter was an eye opening experience.

My buddy had trained with up at Chucks camp for a couple years, lots of good things to say about him. And being in California, you have so many options in regards to training facilities. In my area alone, 2 hours away is The Pit, in my town there is a Gracie Barra JJ under 3 time world champ Fabio Leopoldo, West Coast JJ run by Brian Espinosa who is a Rickson Gracie Black Belt, then 20 minutes away is Elite MMA- Bas Rutten's place.

Stay working hard man, I don't ever want to give up martial arts, or any boarding, but I know what comes first is my health. When it keeps me out of the gym due to injuries, then eventually it has to go out the door.

elementrip

elementrip

Awards
  • Established
Thanks, I have been very fortunate to have the experience I have, by no means am I a complete badass or anything, but I follow martial arts/mma pretty heavily. My first training session with a pro fighter was an eye opening experience.

My buddy had trained with up at Chucks camp for a couple years, lots of good things to say about him. And being in California, you have so many options in regards to training facilities. In my area alone, 2 hours away is The Pit, in my town there is a Gracie Barra JJ under 3 time world champ Fabio Leopoldo, West Coast JJ run by Brian Espinosa who is a Rickson Gracie Black Belt, then 20 minutes away is Elite MMA- Bas Rutten's place.

Stay working hard man, I don't ever want to give up martial arts, or any boarding, but I know what comes first is my health. When it keeps me out of the gym due to injuries, then eventually it has to go out the door.
I cant count the amount of injuries ive had on all my digits but i just take the rehab time, lift conservatively in the meantime and get back on whatever board it was when im healed haha. I'm only 21 so i've got a long way to go, im trying to enter a BB comp in a little over a year under the novice level as its my first. Maybe get picked up in the next year or two by a company for my boarding, i ride for steelmx now but i'd love another sponsor. and as for skating i've never been that great to get picked up, but bombing parking garages, parks, and local spots in unequaled in enjoyment in my opinion