Proper Abs Workout

eballarj

Awards
  • Established
I've tried searching fort his, but I'm having difficulty figuring out good search terms to use.

Like quite a few people I've met, I have a shadow of a six-pack if i flex and "suck in." The thing is, if I am not consciously sucking in, i look like I have a beer belly. I had my bodyfat measured, and I have got readings betw. 13%-15%. But if you looked at my (relaxed) gut, you'd think I was much fatter.

I've heard this can be from improper ab training. If so, who knows a better way? Or...other remedies to fix it. It's kinda like a mini-version of the GH gut, haha. It's really ugly, that's all I know lol. So any help will be very appreciated!

Urban Monk

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
You should cut to under 10%, preferably 8% before judging your abs.

eballarj

Awards
  • Established
well..i understand that, but it still seems odd that my "gut" hangs out so far. I've heard of stomach vacuums. I guess I could start w/ doing those more often. It seems like it has a lot to do with the transverse abdominal or whatever (the muscle that sucks in your gut) being weak? am i right?

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
It's probably visceral fat around your organs pushing your abdominal wall out. This is one of the last places to burn fat as it's the first place stored.

eballarj

Awards
  • Established
It's probably visceral fat around your organs pushing your abdominal wall out. This is one of the last places to burn fat as it's the first place stored.
ooooh. makes sense. so i probably won't notice a change until I do some serious cutting, huh?

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
I always thought abs were the easiest part of the body to develop to the point where you're at least satisfied with they way they look. But then again that's just my opinion.

Get everything tight and then just drop body fat to the point where you can see them. Now it's a different story if you're wanting maximum development, but that's not my game. As long as I can see mine and they look good, then I'm good to go.

My motivation for ab training is the ladies ;)

eballarj

Awards
  • Established
I always thought abs were the easiest part of the body to develop to the point where you're at least satisfied with they way they look. But then again that's just my opinion.

Get everything tight and then just drop body fat to the point where you can see them. Now it's a different story if you're wanting maximum development, but that's not my game. As long as I can see mine and they look good, then I'm good to go.

My motivation for ab training is the ladies ;)
well my concern is that one i cut, i will be able to see them, as you say, but i'm afraid that if i'm not flexing or holding them in, my belly will still stick out. I guess i'll just have to see what it's like once i cut

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
There is a quantum difference between 15% and 8% bodyfat. And a huge difference between even 13% and 10%. Get down to a "true" 8-10% and then come back if your gut is still hanging out.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Its sounds more like stomach distention. It's usually from 2 things: eating too much during your meals, bloating from inadequate fiber/produce consumption, or electrolyte imbalance from too much sodium/not enough potassium.

eballarj

Awards
  • Established
Its sounds more like stomach distention. It's usually from 2 things: eating too much during your meals, bloating from inadequate fiber/produce consumption, or electrolyte imbalance from too much sodium/not enough potassium.
I think this is the answer I was fishing for. haha. I'll look into these things in more detail. I think it is more likely fiber/produce and/or sodium/potassium isues more than eating too much at once.

Am I understanding right that incresed fiber will minimize distension? I assume produce, meaning vegetables, yah?

Legacykid

Awards
  • Established
Try using a speed rope..idk if its just me but it notice it burns fat right off