Training while sick

boggs67ss

Awards
  • Established
You guys train while sick with a cold? I've heard that it can help you sweat it out, true?

TEAR57

TEAR57

Awards
I let myself rest. When your body is focusing on repairing damaged muscles from working out rather than getting rid of the illness it takes longer to get better. That is my experience.

Esox Express

Esox Express

Awards
  • Established
You guys train while sick with a cold? I've heard that it can help you sweat it out, true?

I've tried before, and just ended up having a really poor workout, and I felt like ****. Some people can handle it, but it wasn't for me. The downed immune system seemed to hinder my recovery too. I just take a week off when I'm sick, since I usually can't find a good excuse (or don't want) to take a week off under normal circumstances. You can really benefit from a week off every now and then anyway IMO.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
I have before with football did some damn good power cleans.. but benching when i was sick blew,

Delta Force

Delta Force

PES Rep
Awards
  • Established
if you want to train while sick dont workout at the same intensity as if you are not sick or you will put your body under too much pressure to recover from your virus plus muscle recovery
my experience has been in more than once, when i worked out legs while ignoring i was sick i got worst and had to stop training, basically your body is letting you know something is not well, listen to your body in these cases, get well then resume training at the same intensity.

freqfly

freqfly

Awards
  • Established
Get some rest and a take a little bit of time off. Every time I have ever lifted with a cold, it has always taken much longer to recover than when I take time off.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I am relentless about training while I am sick. I will drop the weight/intensity and go on with the show. However, I don't know so much about this "sweating it out". I have heard that before, but I don't believe the theory personally.

stosh517

stosh517

Awards
i've tried "sweating out" a cold/virus and only felt twice as crappy the next day. So I don't buy that theory. I agree with those who say take the time off...

JohnnyBGood

JohnnyBGood

Awards
I trained hard in January and kept a pesky cold for the whole darn month. Probably would've fought it off after a week if I just rested. I'm a hardhead though. :twak:

ryaroberts

ryaroberts

Awards
  • Established
as long as i dont have a fever i still hit the gym =)

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If its above the neck your good to go, below then stay home and rest.

I just trained hard right through a horrible head cold.

BoyFromAus

Awards
  • Established
i can't do it.... it's why if i do get sick, not only do i get very angry that my routnie is messed up... but i also rest heaps, and hyper-medicate which seems to work for me as long as i'm doing it in moderation and the drugs are simple over the counter ones.

jtp217

jtp217

Awards
Your body is already fighting a cold so why stress your immune system further by forcing it to recover from training at the same time?

MMAMONSTER19

Awards
  • Established
take the time off, depends on how sick you are or why you are feeling sick, runny nose cough, soar throat so many symptoms bottom line for me anytime now that i feel sick i take the time off its hard finding an excuse to not go to the gym, so in my case it works out to rest my body for a couple of days letting it recover then get back to the gym and hit it hard!!! pick up a multivitamin or the new orange triad immune system thing if your still sick and even if your not sick still good to take during the cold months like here in michigan i always get sick during the winter atleast once with a cold hope this helps

Knewsance

Awards
depends on how sick I am if I have the common cold I try to tough it out and move on or at worst lower the weight but if I have the flu I'll take the time off. If you take supplements it feels like a waste when you don't train hard and still use them

fieldt76

Awards
A couple of weeks ago I worked chest with cold/flu type symptoms. When I got home I started to feel like something was really, really wrong with me. I'll never train again when I am sick, even though I know I'll feel like a lazy piece of sh*t.