The boot camp question. - AnabolicMinds.com - Page 2

The boot camp question.

Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick

I went to basic much more recently than you (OSUT actually) and could not disagree more. I gained about 20lbs, most of it fat. We weren't nearly as active as they would have us believe and spent more time standing around doing concurrent training than anything else.

Sleep wasn't terrible ~6 hours a night and if you can't eat what they give you in under 5 minutes you aren't trying very hard.

I leaned back out easily enough and got back in shape during airborne and worldwide assignment when I could hit the gym on my own after work.

And the benefits aren't nearly good enough to deal with how ****ty this life is. We mow lawns, sweep and mop floors, and occasionally shoot something for somewhere around $2 an hour (rank dependant).

I also did Insanity and P90X before going and can say all I got from it was knee problems (specifically insanity with all of the jumping).

If you truly need to prepare (which is a waste IME because its all about wanting to be there mentally and BCT is a joke) then just start throwing in long distance running a couple of times a week and you'll be fine.

BCT really couldn't be easier.
    Well I don't know what basic u went through but we averaged 3 hours a sleep a night an got less than 2 min to eat, then when I went through SERE it was worse

2. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Rush8780 View Post

Well I don't know what basic u went through but we averaged 3 hours a sleep a night an got less than 2 min to eat, then when I went through SERE it was worse
    I went through infantry OSUT. It was army wide that we get 7 hours unless training mandated otherwise.
  3. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'2"  255 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

I remember reading a MD article a few years back about a study done on military training. It said that style of training actually lowers test, and GH levels, and overtrains the body severly. To me its more about breaking you mentally so when your in a situation where your in danger and you havent eatin in a week and your week as **** you can mentally push through it and make your body do it. Its about training to survive not training to get big.
    Bigcountry's Getting a little smaller: Epi/Stano Log

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/cycle-info/231194-bigcountrys-getting-little.html
    •   

4. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'7"   lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Bigcountry08
    I remember reading a MD article a few years back about a study done on military training. It said that style of training actually lowers test, and GH levels, and overtrains the body severly. To me its more about breaking you mentally so when your in a situation where your in danger and you havent eatin in a week and your week as **** you can mentally push through it and make your body do it. Its about training to survive not training to get big.
    This
    "no failure is final, nor is any success"
    Follow my 2014 training and supps!
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/240285-chedapaloozas-2014-training.html
  5. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Not sure what info is being looked for as I didn't really catch up, but I absolutely do not regret enlisting. Been in 13 years and am deployed right now.

Like anything else, everyone is going to have their varying opinions. Some love it, some hate, and others it is a means to a goal. As for pay and benefits, compared to the civilian sector it varies with your skill and career. In trauma medicine my equivalent in the civilian sector is paramedic and I def make more than they do. Especially when benefits are added in such as housing allowance, medical/dental (just had a baby girl, don't know if you guys know how much that costs, but it's a benefit for me), paid for my AA degree and then some so far via tuition assistance, and that doesn't touch my GI Bill for when I get out, access to an enormous amounts of various programs for active duty and family that are not available to civilians (which many have been extremely beneficial to me) When deployed I make damn good money, and I happen to enjoy deployments, and I rate several special pays as well on top of everything. When I retire at 40, I'll still be able to begin a whole new career. For me, it's been a damn good time. Though I didn't join the Army
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market
    RECOVERBRO: Est. Post #3222
  6. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Rush8780 View Post
    I question this. Also correlating boot camp straight to SERE is ridiculous and makes me feel you are stretching to prove something. Most don't go to SERE anyways.
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market
  7. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by chedapalooza View Post
    This
    In all likely hood you would want to not disclose your TRT, suck it up through training etc, and bring your symptoms up later. Have it "diagnosed" while on active duty. Things should be fine.

Also, basic is like what 8-12 weeks depending on the branch. You'll survive. You will likely lose some muscle mass, but you will get it back. Honestly if not being big and muscular for a couple months is that big of a deal perhaps military is not the right place. That being said, I have no problems maintaining my fitness and neither does anyone else except for the lazy sh*tbirds.

There are guys who even are top bodybuilders in the military...
    http://www.ironmanmagazine.com/leo-ingram/
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market
  8. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by CopyCat View Post
    Not sure what info is being looked for as I didn't really catch up, but I absolutely do not regret enlisting. Been in 13 years and am deployed right now.

Like anything else, everyone is going to have their varying opinions. Some love it, some hate, and others it is a means to a goal. As for pay and benefits, compared to the civilian sector it varies with your skill and career. In trauma medicine my equivalent in the civilian sector is paramedic and I def make more than they do. Especially when benefits are added in such as housing allowance, medical/dental (just had a baby girl, don't know if you guys know how much that costs, but it's a benefit for me), paid for my AA degree and then some so far via tuition assistance, and that doesn't touch my GI Bill for when I get out, access to an enormous amounts of various programs for active duty and family that are not available to civilians (which many have been extremely beneficial to me) When deployed I make damn good money, and I happen to enjoy deployments, and I rate several special pays as well on top of everything. When I retire at 40, I'll still be able to begin a whole new career. For me, it's been a damn good time. Though I didn't join the Army
    Yeah. My dad told me I should commission in the AF or Navy. I didn't, and when I was at AB there were a bunch of enlisted and commissioned from both branches and they seemed to enjoy their service much more than the guys in the Army do.
  9. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'7"   lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by CopyCat

In all likely hood you would want to not disclose your TRT, suck it up through training etc, and bring your symptoms up later. Have it "diagnosed" while on active duty. Things should be fine.

Also, basic is like what 8-12 weeks depending on the branch. You'll survive. You will likely lose some muscle mass, but you will get it back. Honestly if not being big and muscular for a couple months is that big of a deal perhaps military is not the right place. That being said, I have no problems maintaining my fitness and neither does anyone else except for the lazy sh*tbirds.

There are guys who even are top bodybuilders in the military...
    http://www.ironmanmagazine.com/leo-ingram/
    Oh god no Idc about that I was worried more about the caffeine and stuff I "need" at the moment to get my ass in gear every day..
    "no failure is final, nor is any success"
    Follow my 2014 training and supps!
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/240285-chedapaloozas-2014-training.html
  10. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by chedapalooza View Post
    Oh god no Idc about that I was worried more about the caffeine and stuff I "need" at the moment to get my ass in gear every day..
    They have coffee and soda in the mess hall when you get your meals. In the field when eating MRE's they have instant coffee packets in them. Sure it's not like popping some pills or pre workout, but it is enough. Truth be told, in basic you have enough going on that it isn't really a top priority. I'm big on caffeine and I've never really had a problem. If you get commissioned life is a bit easier in a lot of those comfort aspects as opposed to enlisted.
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market
  11. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

They have coffee and soda in the mess hall when you get your meals. In the field when eating MRE's they have instant coffee packets in them. Sure it's not like popping some pills or pre workout, but it is enough. Truth be told, in basic you have enough going on that it isn't really a top priority. I'm big on caffeine and I've never really had a problem. If you get commissioned life is a bit easier in a lot of those comfort aspects as opposed to enlisted.
    As far as army (infantry) goes, there is none of that. The coffee is contraband and there is no soda. You get powerade.
  12. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick View Post
    Yeah. My dad told me I should commission in the AF or Navy. I didn't, and when I was at AB there were a bunch of enlisted and commissioned from both branches and they seemed to enjoy their service much more than the guys in the Army do.

I'm Navy, but most of my career has been spent with the Marine Corps. Right now I am actually working closely with the Army, but their a bit higher speed than regular infantry. Not all that bad of guys. Though Army training I went through for this deployment left me wanting to peel my own hide with a grapefruit spoon. I take issues with a lot of the fundamentals they were trying to teach.

Also, your ACU's suck donkey nuts, but these OCP multicams are a pretty damn good uniform I have to admit.
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market
  13. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick View Post
    As far as army (infantry) goes, there is none of that. The coffee is contraband and there is no soda. You get powerade.

That's a bummer. Wasn't like that for me in Navy boot camp. Though, I'm sure you would agree, they tend not to be higher on your priority/worry list in training.
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market
  14. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

I'm Navy, but most of my career has been spent with the Marine Corps. Right now I am actually working closely with the Army, but their a bit higher speed than regular infantry. Not all that bad of guys. Though Army training I went through for this deployment left me wanting to peel my own hide with a grapefruit spoon. I take issues with a lot of the fundamentals they were trying to teach.

Also, your ACU's suck donkey nuts, but these OCP multicams are a pretty damn good uniform I have to admit.
    Lol yeah, Army schools have that tendency. Haven't gotten the multicams yet, and ACU's definitely suck.

That's a bummer. Wasn't like that for me in Navy boot camp. Though, I'm sure you would agree, they tend not to be higher on your priority/worry list in training.
    It wasn't for me but some guys tried really hard to get away with using all of the coffee and whatnot.
  15. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

The idea and ideals of the army itself are great things IMO, all armed forces really, its just the execution is miserable. The only way to change that is to stay in long enough to reach the rank where those decisions can be made and most of the people that realize this don't stay in long enough to change it (myself included).

Although I can say that most of the guys I know with MOS other than 11B enjoy their jobs much more because they actually do them on a daily basis. 11B just shoot things, unfortunately when there is nothing to shoot we end up cleaning instead. Which is what occupies most of our time.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Marine Corps Boot Camp and Muslce Memory
    By jrampage03 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-10-2011, 03:05 PM
  2. cAMP related question (I'm a Newbie!)
    By ts8586 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-10-2007, 02:40 PM
  3. 7-9 days of superdrol before boot camp
    By DukeBergers in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 01-31-2007, 12:42 PM
  4. LG saying "whats up from Boot camp"
    By Lifeguard in forum General Chat
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-09-2004, 11:57 AM