1. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.95%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Fn PISSED bench press workout today!

ok so i have been doing the Ed Coan Bench Press Routine I got 230 2 sets of 3 rather easy last week. I have 3 weeks left in the cycle. looking like this
    1. 240 x 3
    2. 250 x 2
    3. Max

Started working out today and my elbows were hurting and triceps were kinda aching by where they attach to your elbow. Shoulders felt fine..

warmed up with the bar for 20
    135 x 5 felt fine
    165 x 5 still feeling good.
    195 x 3 felt good
    215 x 1 felt like a LOAD struggled at the lockout part and NEVER do i struggle there.
    240 x 1 was fine getting it off the chest the lockout was just hard felt like it took me 2 x as long to lock it out then usual..

so i did the smart thing and didnt do any incline press db press decline just came in ate and drinking water.

Coans bench program says to workout 3 days a week
    Heavy day
    2 working sets on bench 10-2 reps. 2 heavy sets of wide grip and close grip.

take a day off and a shoulder specific training and then another day of light wight bench weighted dips and tri pulldowns...

im thinking i just started to overwork because i was doing this
    sun- back (with heavy deads)
    mon-off
    tues- (Triceps heavy, and biceps)
    wed-legs
    thurs-off
    Fri- heavy bench
    sat-off

SO im thinking im gonna take saturday and sunday off Monday do the light bench workout... wed do the shoulders and Friday go heavy bench again so ill have recovery days and not alot of taxing workouts from back legs arms. I hate having to drop those workouts but im peaking on bench and want to make the most outta it because hell i have gained 10 pounds in my max in the last year. and its finally going up.

any one else got suggesstions? ideas

2. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  248 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35.42%

Quote Originally Posted by brownstown89 View Post
    ok so i have been doing the Ed Coan Bench Press Routine I got 230 2 sets of 3 rather easy last week. I have 3 weeks left in the cycle. looking like this
    1. 240 x 3
    2. 250 x 2
    3. Max

Started working out today and my elbows were hurting and triceps were kinda aching by where they attach to your elbow. Shoulders felt fine..

warmed up with the bar for 20
    135 x 5 felt fine
    165 x 5 still feeling good.
    195 x 3 felt good
    215 x 1 felt like a LOAD struggled at the lockout part and NEVER do i struggle there.
    240 x 1 was fine getting it off the chest the lockout was just hard felt like it took me 2 x as long to lock it out then usual..

so i did the smart thing and didnt do any incline press db press decline just came in ate and drinking water.

Coans bench program says to workout 3 days a week
    Heavy day
    2 working sets on bench 10-2 reps. 2 heavy sets of wide grip and close grip.

take a day off and a shoulder specific training and then another day of light wight bench weighted dips and tri pulldowns...

im thinking i just started to overwork because i was doing this
    sun- back (with heavy deads)
    mon-off
    tues- (Triceps heavy, and biceps)
    wed-legs
    thurs-off
    Fri- heavy bench
    sat-off

SO im thinking im gonna take saturday and sunday off Monday do the light bench workout... wed do the shoulders and Friday go heavy bench again so ill have recovery days and not alot of taxing workouts from back legs arms. I hate having to drop those workouts but im peaking on bench and want to make the most outta it because hell i have gained 10 pounds in my max in the last year. and its finally going up.

any one else got suggesstions? ideas

I got great gains from the coan bench and deadlift workouts, so much so that i based a squat routine on it. my mistake was to run all 3 at the same time, which screwed my hips up. I also found that the percentages were a bit too high and had to wind them down a bit. You could maybe try dropping them by 5% or so but persevere and you'll reap the rewards. My bench went up 30lbs in this routine. Make sure you're pausing your reps on the chest as well - your strength will fly up
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.95%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

thanks man im thinking i just over worked my triceps too hard. and dont have enough rest days.. and i started to make the same mistake using alll ath the same time...
    •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. bench press
    By at1010 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-20-2009, 06:53 PM
  2. Video Of My 500lb Max Bench Press Gym Workout!
    By NASAKYCHAIR in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 02-15-2009, 08:43 PM
  3. help with bench press?
    By craze123 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-21-2008, 10:08 PM
  4. Do not bench press alone
    By HUGE in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-29-2005, 04:27 PM
  5. This really F*cking Pissed me off today