Fn PISSED bench press workout today!

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
ok so i have been doing the Ed Coan Bench Press Routine I got 230 2 sets of 3 rather easy last week. I have 3 weeks left in the cycle. looking like this
1. 240 x 3
2. 250 x 2
3. Max

Started working out today and my elbows were hurting and triceps were kinda aching by where they attach to your elbow. Shoulders felt fine..

warmed up with the bar for 20
135 x 5 felt fine
165 x 5 still feeling good.
195 x 3 felt good
215 x 1 felt like a LOAD struggled at the lockout part and NEVER do i struggle there.
240 x 1 was fine getting it off the chest the lockout was just hard felt like it took me 2 x as long to lock it out then usual..

so i did the smart thing and didnt do any incline press db press decline just came in ate and drinking water.

Coans bench program says to workout 3 days a week
Heavy day
2 working sets on bench 10-2 reps. 2 heavy sets of wide grip and close grip.

take a day off and a shoulder specific training and then another day of light wight bench weighted dips and tri pulldowns...

im thinking i just started to overwork because i was doing this
sun- back (with heavy deads)
mon-off
tues- (Triceps heavy, and biceps)
wed-legs
thurs-off
Fri- heavy bench
sat-off

SO im thinking im gonna take saturday and sunday off Monday do the light bench workout... wed do the shoulders and Friday go heavy bench again so ill have recovery days and not alot of taxing workouts from back legs arms. I hate having to drop those workouts but im peaking on bench and want to make the most outta it because hell i have gained 10 pounds in my max in the last year. and its finally going up.

any one else got suggesstions? ideas

SemiBulimic

SemiBulimic

Awards
  • Established
ok so i have been doing the Ed Coan Bench Press Routine I got 230 2 sets of 3 rather easy last week. I have 3 weeks left in the cycle. looking like this
1. 240 x 3
2. 250 x 2
3. Max

Started working out today and my elbows were hurting and triceps were kinda aching by where they attach to your elbow. Shoulders felt fine..

warmed up with the bar for 20
135 x 5 felt fine
165 x 5 still feeling good.
195 x 3 felt good
215 x 1 felt like a LOAD struggled at the lockout part and NEVER do i struggle there.
240 x 1 was fine getting it off the chest the lockout was just hard felt like it took me 2 x as long to lock it out then usual..

so i did the smart thing and didnt do any incline press db press decline just came in ate and drinking water.

Coans bench program says to workout 3 days a week
Heavy day
2 working sets on bench 10-2 reps. 2 heavy sets of wide grip and close grip.

take a day off and a shoulder specific training and then another day of light wight bench weighted dips and tri pulldowns...

im thinking i just started to overwork because i was doing this
sun- back (with heavy deads)
mon-off
tues- (Triceps heavy, and biceps)
wed-legs
thurs-off
Fri- heavy bench
sat-off

SO im thinking im gonna take saturday and sunday off Monday do the light bench workout... wed do the shoulders and Friday go heavy bench again so ill have recovery days and not alot of taxing workouts from back legs arms. I hate having to drop those workouts but im peaking on bench and want to make the most outta it because hell i have gained 10 pounds in my max in the last year. and its finally going up.

any one else got suggesstions? ideas

I got great gains from the coan bench and deadlift workouts, so much so that i based a squat routine on it. my mistake was to run all 3 at the same time, which screwed my hips up. I also found that the percentages were a bit too high and had to wind them down a bit. You could maybe try dropping them by 5% or so but persevere and you'll reap the rewards. My bench went up 30lbs in this routine. Make sure you're pausing your reps on the chest as well - your strength will fly up

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
thanks man im thinking i just over worked my triceps too hard. and dont have enough rest days.. and i started to make the same mistake using alll ath the same time...