pairing muscle groups?

BoyFromAus

Awards
  • Established
do you workout particular muscle groups a day? Perhaps 2 muscle groups?

if so, what muscle groups do you pair and why?

some ppl such as my gym trainer says it's best to pair up a large group with a supporting small group.
So,
Chest and Tricep
Back and Bicep
Legs (ddifferent parts)
Shoulders (different parts)

but then i've been reading other ways that professionals train. And it's moreso the antagonistic groups (opposites). In this case it's

Chest and Back
Bicep and Tricep
Hams and Quads
Calfs and Shoulders

cmc

cmc

Awards
Both are good and will work well. The first routine that you mention...the triceps are used as secondary muscles when you first work the chest and get a good warm up to proceed to training them. Same goes for the back/bi routines.

The second listed routine also works well. I'm not going to get all technical but one good reason to change it up from the first to the second is to confuse the muscles from not being in the same routine week after week. I'd start off with the first routine and then switch to the second routine when you may be noticing a plateau.

A note on shoulders which is very evident if you check out a lot of people's shoulder development in the gym. many fail to work the rear delt and most over train the front delt. The front delt gets a lot of use from many other pushing exercises and often one does to train shoulders they still continue to train their front delts which leads to an unbalanced looking delt. Place priority first on the rear delts.

BettrBdyMitch

BettrBdyMitch

Awards
A note on shoulders which is very evident if you check out a lot of people's shoulder development in the gym. many fail to work the rear delt and most over train the front delt. The front delt gets a lot of use from many other pushing exercises and often one does to train shoulders they still continue to train their front delts which leads to an unbalanced looking delt. Place priority first on the rear delts.

Very true, if you do decide to work front delts, make sure your chest excersizes leave out the front delts, if you do incline, use 30 degree max on incline, and don't lockout because most people make the mistake of pushing with the shoulders to get the lockout.:smirk: