PULL UPS

Bigguy851

Bigguy851

Awards
I am gonna be possibly joining the marine corp officer program, i need to bust out 16 pulls up dead hang, can anyone in here give me some advice on how to increase pull up strength, and if there is a certain technique. also if anyone in here is in the marines and is an officer could you give me some advide on OCS

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
figure out where your weak point is and train it. that's all i got.

rear delts
upper back
bicep

other than that, just keep doing them till you can get whatever number you want to hit :)

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Navy Corpsman here with 4 out of my 9 years with the Marines. FYI..Highlanda01602 has been through OCS. Hit him up, he's a good guy and more than willing to answer questions for you.

Pull ups:
- Grease the go (bust out a set every time you pass a pull up bar) Put one in ur bathroom door jam and do some every time you take a piss
- Do pull ups as part of your warm up sets every workout
- Try and increase the number of pull ups you do in the warm up set periodically
- At least once a week max out
- Go hard, Go fast - often grip goes before your really spent
- File your calluses off, trust me your hands will thank you for it
- Don't favor one grip
- Don't be afraid to use the an assist machine or jumping pull us if you need to to squeeze a few more out
- When you start getting your reps up do weighted pull ups
- Yes do dead hang pull ups
- Yes do kipping pull ups as well

Best of luck, if you have any questions feel free to ask. When I went to work on my pull ups I went from a max of 3 to 25 doing the above. Like I said hit up Highkanda as well.

Bigguy851

Bigguy851

Awards
Thanks bro. How would u reccommend I do 3 miles in 22 minutes

Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 3.3; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920

p00ndawg

p00ndawg

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Thanks bro. How would u reccommend I do 3 miles in 22 minutes

easy man, practice on a treadmill get the timing and just run alot.

on a tread you gotta run like 8.0. My brother is training for it too. Practice running 5 miles tho, go beyond that dont just do the 3.

Bigguy851

Bigguy851

Awards
Oh ok well cool. Since your in the marines now. What type of workouts should I do to get lean

p00ndawg

p00ndawg

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Oh ok well cool. Since your in the marines now. What type of workouts should I do to get lean

the workouts they make you do will get you lean. I wouldnt worry about that lol.

Bigguy851

Bigguy851

Awards
No I mean like right now what kind of workouts can I do to prepare myself for the ocs training

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No I mean like right now what kind of workouts can I do to prepare myself for the ocs training

I'll write some down after the superbowl

Bigguy851

Bigguy851

Awards
My state is in it. Az cardinals. They gonna probably lose

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

How long before you go to OCS?

PFT (3 mile run, max sit-ups 2min, Max Pull ups 2min)
To help with your times on running the 3 mile you can do a few things.
- Running on a treadmill really is not a substitute for running outdoors
- Run, do the 3 mile for time every now and again
- Run sprints, HIIT. You can start by sprinting 30 sec then jog 30 etc. Eventually ignore the time and focus on sprinting 1/4 then 1/8 jog etc. Ramp it up as you get better at each stage.
- If you do run on the treadmill set the incline to 2% to try and adjust for the fact that all you really are doing is picking up your feet while the tread moves.
- Finish off strong. Many Marines start out strong and run out of gas by the end. If you practice picking up your pace and finishing off strong or in a sprint you'll be set.
- Run hills, run hills, run hills
- Do some runs longer than 3 miles
- Have some good foot wear
- Make sure your mechanics are down. You can go to http://crossfit.com/, click on the link on the left side of the page "exercise and demos" Scroll down till you see the "running/sprinting" video links. Some really good vids and instructions.
- Remember muscles require oxygen and the bigger you are the more oxygen you need. Not to say don't lift, just saying Arnold couldn't run the time you'll need to. You need that happy medium.

Workouts to help prep for OCS:
http://crossfit.com/
and
http://crossfitendurance.com/index.php

Crossfit is perfect for military training. There is a reason why the Marine Corps has adopted it, Recon, Seals, SF etc. all swear by it. All in all if you follow crossfit and supplement it with crossfit endurance you will be set. I've no doubt Highlanda would agree with all this 100%.

Keep asking questions man. I love the Corps and Marines are my closet friends.

Semper

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So, you know about the PFT, but do you know about the Combat Fitness Test (CFT)? You'll need to do that as well on top of the PFT. Not on the same day or any thing, but it's a required fitness test now as well.

Bigguy851

Bigguy851

Awards
Hey where's that workout u said u would hook me up with

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hey where's that workout u said u would hook me up with

Well, I've given pointers on running and pull ups and I gave you a link to Crossfit.

http://crossfit.com/
http://crossfitendurance.com/index.php

Look at the main page. There are work outs of the day (WODS). There is a new one posted every day. They are constantly varying with emphasis on functional fitness. With focus on olympic lifts, power lifts, gymnastic training and so forth. You will find that a majority of your physical training etc will be similar to what you do in a crossfit workout. As I said, if you follow the crossfit page and supplement that with the crossfit endurance workout you will be golden.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
One thing that really inproved my pullups was adding increments of weight on while i did it. How many can you do bodyweight?

Bigguy851

Bigguy851

Awards
I can do about 6 or 7 with my own weight

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
well your main muscles used in pull ups are biceps, shoulders, and back so keep working on those and add some weight to your pullups when you can. have you tried the assisted pullup machiens?

Bigguy851

Bigguy851

Awards
Yeah that machine just makes me feel week.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
just keep doing them my man, keep working hard you will get it. Best of luck to you!

Bigguy851

Bigguy851

Awards
Thanks bro

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Like I said earleir don't be afraid to use the machine to be able to bust out a few more, or have a buddy help. You can also use a band to assist or do jumping pull ups. I have done workouts with pull ups in them where I go all out for as many as I can for 20 sec then rest for 10 sec. Without going deep into that workout you cn imagine that eventually you will simply burn out and while the clock is running you won't being doing the pull ups you need to.
So, you do jumping pull ups, where you have a box etc. just high enough when you hold onto the bar your arms are sort of bent. This will allow you to do many more than normal. Make no mistake. do this long enough your shoulders will burn. It helps the endurance and helps to break past the threshold. My point is, it doesn't make you weak. In fact it only makes you stronger.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Just like everyone else is saying, I think Crossfit would be perfect for someone in your case. It wouldn't hurt to do some grip strengthening exercises as well. Good luck man!

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Also, the Marine Combat Fitness Test is now in effect. At the moment it is only pass/fail, but coming this year there will be a point scoring system similar to the Marine PFT.
Here is a link to a video showcasing it and below that I will post the times, ages, numbers etc. required.

http://militarytimes.com/multimedia/video/cft_maven_16x9__141602/

The minimum standards for the CFT under the pass or fail grading will be as follows:

Male
Age 880-yard run Ammo lifts Maneuver under fire

17-26 3:48 45 3:29

27-39 4:00 45 3:55

40-45 4:19 44 3:57

46+ 4:30 43 4:28

Female

17-26 4:34 20 4:57

27-39 4:40 21 5:27

40-45 5:09 17 6:07

46+ 5:20 15 6:30

In October 2009, the CFT will be graded on a scale similar to that of the PFT. Here are the projected standards to achieve a perfect score:

Male

17-26 2:45 91 2:14

27-39 2:51 97 2:14

40-45 3:03 87 2:34

46+ 3:05 86 3:05

Female

17-26 3:23 60 3:01

27-39 3:19 53 3:05

40-45 3:49 45 3:40

46+ 4:12 38 4:20

p00ndawg

p00ndawg

Banned
Awards
  • Established
treadmill is a great way to get started running if you never have before.

My brother and I did it, and thats how he was able to get the 3 miles in 22 min by practicing on a tread.

littlejeni

littlejeni

Awards
I am gonna be possibly joining the marine corp officer program, i need to bust out 16 pulls up dead hang, can anyone in here give me some advice on how to increase pull up strength, and if there is a certain technique. also if anyone in here is in the marines and is an officer could you give me some advide on OCS
My husband taught me a great method to gaining strength for pull-ups, he got this from his college football team.

He had me start with 1, then 2, then 3...and so on till I couldn't do anymore. Then rest and start over with 1, then 2, then 3...etc. Drop down from the hang for about a 10-20 sec rest between each. These are called ladders. Each sequence is a set. So when I get to 4 reps, that is essentially 10 reps (1+2+3+4) in a set with extra rest in between.

Women are in general weaker in the upper body, but I've gotten up to 3 sets of 15 reps close-grip and 3 sets of 5 wide-grip (not ladder-style, just straight-ups sets).

Hope this helps! Good luck to you man, and thanks for volunteering to serve our country!

Last edited:
littlejeni

littlejeni

Awards
He had me start with 1, then 2, then 3...and so on till I couldn't do anymore. Then rest and start over with 1, then 2, then 3...etc. Drop down from the hang for about a 10-20 sec rest between each. These are called ladders. Each sequence is a set. So when I get to 4 reps, that is essentially 10 reps (1+2+3+4) in a set with extra rest in between.
1 pull-up
drop down/rest
2 pull-ups
drop down/rest
3 pull-ups
drop down/rest
4 pull-ups
drop down/rest
(Continue till fatigue)

That is one set, rest for a minute or so and do 2 more sets of this.

SirGalahad

Awards
1 pull-up
drop down/rest
2 pull-ups
drop down/rest
3 pull-ups
drop down/rest
4 pull-ups
drop down/rest
(Continue till fatigue)

That is one set, rest for a minute or so and do 2 more sets of this.

Ladders are one of the best ways to increase pullup strength. You can also go "down" the "ladder" after going up and consider this one set. Do 3 sets total with the appropriate rest time.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Never asked, how old are you?

Pull ups are the money maker in the PFT. If you can knock out 20 then that's 100 points out of a possible 300. Sit ups are the easiest 100 points. If you nail those two then you have some breathing room on the run. You said you were looking to do 16 pull ups and run in 22 min. Don't be afraid to shoot higher than that. In OCS many will be doing 20 pull ups or close to , maxing out sit ups, and running in 20 or under. You will prolly be surprised at how many run it in 18.

As always, go balls out. if you are not puking afterwards you didn't put out hard enough.