Shitty Lift Buddy

Liquid13

Liquid13

Awards
  • Established
I'm so sick of my lifting buddy ****ing me over. Never shows up on time, and sometimes 20 minutes late without even a phone call. Sometimes I have to call him while I'm sitting in the parking lot of the gym to find out he can't make it out. I keep telling him that I don't care if he cancels as long as he notifies me in advance, but he can't seem to get that in his retarded head. Monday was my last straw and I called him out on it. Gah!!! He won't respond to me and he's gotten his girlfriend messaging me about how I'm being too harsh and mean about it....????? I should have seen this a million miles away the first day he complained about a gym fee.... Damn, is anyone out there reliable?

Sorry the rant is over. :zx11pissed:

Delta Force

Delta Force

PES Rep
Awards
  • Established
my gym partner is pretty good about being on time, but a couple of times he was late, I just started my routine and when he showed up he joined me, I did not wait around w/o knowing if he would show up or not. workout by yourself till a better partner comes along, and maybe someone more reliable in your gym will notice and join your workouts

Last edited:
bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ya it can be hard to find a gym partner especially when ppl want to lift with you but end up not being reliable. Rule with my friends is if they wanna lift with me they know the time i lift and my schedule so they can show up, if not i go on my own and don't wait. I even tell them if they are there and i for some odd reason am late to go on with out me that way you only hold yourself accountable.

Liquid13

Liquid13

Awards
  • Established
I've gone through 2 unreliable workout buddies in just 3 months, and for the last 2-3 weeks I've been aquiring a 3rd dude in the mix. Hopefully this new guy will be a good reliable motivator.

buuzer0

buuzer0

Awards
  • Established
I haven't had a lifting buddy in over 3 years, since leaving college.

I'm used to it though, and work out more than I ever did in those days!

maurice02

maurice02

Awards
  • Established
I prefer to lift alone. Listen to my music, do my thing. If I need a spot there is always a few guys who I BS with there that I can trust.

I gave up on workout partners back in college. Too many times the guys would be too hung over, too lazy, or ate too much in the cafeteria and couldn't move. Jerks......

J

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
I'm lifting with a guy whom I'm trying to teach. He's completely new to lifting and bodybuilding so I wanted to depart some of my knowledge unto him so he could get started the right way, rather than through all the trail and errors I had to endure when I first started.

But other than that, I think lifting partners are overrated. When I need a spot, I'll just ask someone. Now if I could find someone who's around the same strength level as me with similar goals, that would be a different story. But since that isn't the case, I prefer to be a lone wolf.

:D

Marsh11

Marsh11

Awards
  • Established
Yea lifting partners just slow you down. If you need a spot ask someone.

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
i almost always work out by myself i'm friendly to people in the gym say hi and stuff and if I do need a spot i can usually find one pretty quick in turn if someone asks for a spot i'm happy to oblige but other than that a lifting partner cuts into my workout time.

p00ndawg

p00ndawg

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I've gone through 2 unreliable workout buddies in just 3 months, and for the last 2-3 weeks I've been aquiring a 3rd dude in the mix. Hopefully this new guy will be a good reliable motivator.
its a tough thing man to find someone reliable, the best thing to do IMO is whoever is at the gym at the same time you are, make friends with em and start lifting with them.

Delta Force

Delta Force

PES Rep
Awards
  • Established
I've noticed my workouts are taking longer when i w/o with my partner... i used to come warm up for 5 minutes do my routine then cool down for 5 minutes and be out of there in a little over an hour, now its taking over 1.5 hours and I dont have time for my cool down cardio, this is not his fault but some times we chat about this or that and sometimes others will chat with us, it takes removes your focus and you lose time
bottom line look for someone who's not too popular in gym and gets his w/o done quick.

BettrBdyMitch

BettrBdyMitch

Awards
I have a couple different partners. 2 of them compete and are tanks, and the other is just getting into it. If we have more than 3 in our group we break the group up. We don't sit and talk, we work. Total time in the gym with cardio is 1hr 15 min tops.

Every one of us has made major progress over the past few months, we motivate eachother well. We are all friends, work together, and train together.

Don't have a training partner if it isn't doing you any good, do it for yourself, not the other person.

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
The guy i train with bugs me now and again. He brings along his m8s and then nothing gets done. I quite like to workout myself. Like to get a real good intense workout going :) I'll usually do something else if he brings his buddies along so i can get **** done

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
i almost always work out by myself i'm friendly to people in the gym say hi and stuff and if I do need a spot i can usually find one pretty quick in turn if someone asks for a spot i'm happy to oblige but other than that a lifting partner cuts into my workout time.
Same here bro.

Sinon

Sinon

Awards
That's why I lift alone. You can only disappoint yourself

Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.7; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920

B

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
i use to workout with one friend and he would talk inbetween sets and that would throw me off having to take out and put in my headphones.. he wouldnt squat or deadlift or do any mass building workouts cuz they were hard.. he would do pull downs.. and always work his chest and tris thats it.

second workout partner i had.. wanted to get big i helped we burned cds lifted in my basement in h.s. he got really strong didnt put on too much weight are workouts were pretty fast. but then he got into the bodybuilding type workouts. obsessing over his weight and thinking he knew more then me started plateauing and stopped..

so i stick to workout out on my own.. the couple mins between sets i get a drink of water strike up a conversation or send out a text and get back on it... im in and out within an hour and a half. including cardio and abs.

whiteonblackL

whiteonblackL

Awards
That's why I lift alone. You can only disappoint yourself

Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.7; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920
X2 i agree. put my music in and give her hell

Chubbinmuffin

Chubbinmuffin

Awards
  • Established
I usually go it solo. Workouts get finished faster. I do have about 4 unreliable gym partners so that equals about 1 reliable one, I can always find one of em to go.

B

bigdognhb

Awards
Im lucky enough that Im roommates with my workout partner and hes fairly close to me in ability. I think its hard to find a reliable workout partner. But if you find a good one I think it motivates you to compete with the other person. I can finish my workouts in the same amount of time too. When one person finishes his set the next one starts