What happened?

1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.

What happened?

hey everyone,

im 20 years old, ive been an athlete almost my whole life and play college ball. unfortunately due to genetics ive always been on the skinnier end. ive always been into the science behind lifting and ive done alot of research, read lots of forums, etc. on nutrition, steroids, training, all that so i dont wanna sound like an idiot to u pros at this stuff but ive got some questions that i know my musclehead friends dont know sh*t about. i decided to get serious about lifting and started this new year. ive been hitting the gym everyday except sunday working my ass off. the first week i was sore as expected but since then i havent really been sore at all. i know rest is important but i dont think im overdoing it, am i? i lift hard and began to up the weight when i lift and i can feel myself getting stronger little by little but im just never sore and i dont know why, can anyone help?. i also began taking supplements and have some questions but ill ask those in another thread if u guys dont mind

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.

i wouldn't worry about it so long as you're still improving on lifts - challenge yourself every week using the 2.5 pound plates. you're in a stage where your recovery is off the hook - you can either milk it for everything its worth by still increasing poundage, or completely overhaul your routine if you miss having DOMS.
  3. Cub
    Banned
    Stats
    5'11"  218 lbs.

Cut your training down to 3 or 4 times per week. You don't have to be sore after you train.
    •   

4. Board Sponsor
    Board Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Cub View Post
    Cut your training down to 3 or 4 times per week. You don't have to be sore after you train.
    You could still do 5 days a week if you are hyper like me, but I like what Cub says as well!
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.

after how long do u guys think should i notice significant gains in size so i know im doing everything right? im trying to put on more size than strength if that makes sense..ive been laying off the cardio pretty much completely except for when i scrimmage once a week and eat like a horse as i know thats the key along with a protein supplement
  6. Cub
    Banned
    Stats
    5'11"  218 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggravated View Post
    You could still do 5 days a week if you are hyper like me, but I like what Cub says as well!
    Haha! Someone needs their Ritalin.
  7. Banned
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by mytime09 View Post
    after how long do u guys think should i notice significant gains in size so i know im doing everything right? im trying to put on more size than strength if that makes sense..ive been laying off the cardio pretty much completely except for when i scrimmage once a week and eat like a horse as i know thats the key along with a protein supplement

for mass, GO HEAVY and as 6 - 10 reps. I use to be a big powerlifter 5'8" 245.
    im at 195 now because I dont lift at all anymore, but thats what I did when I was big and massy. Of course, control it a bit better so you dont look like crap lol.
  8. Board Sponsor
    Board Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Cub View Post
    Haha! Someone needs their Ritalin.
    It's true, it's true! I wouldn't know what to do with 3 off days!
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  178 lbs.

What supplements are you taking?

Also if your diet is in check there really isnt a reason to be sore the next day. I'm only sore the next day if I skimped on calories the day before, except for legs they get sore because I don't stretch enough after I workout.
  10. Registered User

after how long do u guys think should i notice significant gains in size so i know im doing everything right?
    Define "significant."

And you are probably in the gym too often. Hypertrophy is a result of what happens outside of the gym. You need appropriate time (rest) to recover. If not well planned out, six days could be too many and may not allow for sufficient recovery. Post up your six day routine.

And soreness isn't an indicator of whether your body is growing or even if you've had a good workout. Get hit by a bus! I'll guarantee you'll be sore, but unlikely that you'll achieve much hypertrophy.
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by t-bone2 View Post
    Define "significant."

And you are probably in the gym too often. Hypertrophy is a result of what happens outside of the gym. You need appropriate time (rest) to recover. If not well planned out, six days could be too many and may not allow for sufficient recovery. Post up your six day routine.

And soreness isn't an indicator of whether your body is growing or even if you've had a good workout. Get hit by a bus! I'll guarantee you'll be sore, but unlikely that you'll achieve much hypertrophy.
    ill post up my routine and diet once i figure this thing out i just made this account. i dont feel over exhausted or anything really but i have been eating like 2/3 times more than i would have ever used to so maybe thats helping?
    As for supplements im just taking up your mass right now, everyone i speak to recommends something different. I was gonna start a seperate thread for help in that department.
  12. Registered User

everyone i speak to recommends something different.
    Yeah, it can be a daunting task attempting to sort everything out. Like becoming proficient in any area, it will take time to figure out. Most people starting out look for shortcuts. Unfortunately, there aren't many. It is pretty frequent that someone with little understanding or knowledge puts in their $0.02. Lots of people giving advice have little experience and not a clue what they are talking about.
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  238 lbs.

As time goes on and you're not sore after your workouts, something is lacking. You don't have to be like crippling sore, I just mean able to feel the muscles you just attacked for that workout is all. To attain muscle hypertrophy you will need to consistently 'shock' and challenge your muscles, remember the body will adapt rather quickly to what you are doing to it. New exercises, challenging weights at various lifting tempos and rest will do it. But like what was said above, you will grow out of the gym, on off days. However shocking and challenging your muscles is a must to have this hypertrophy take place on off days. Diet is crucial also. I keep a food journal and count macros everyday. That way I know why I'm not gaining or losing if I know my efforts in the gym are on point. Word.
    Last edited by Andy G; 01-28-2009 at 11:37 AM. Reason: clarification
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.

Do not get me wrong I definitely feel a little sore in my muscles but nothing that compares to how hard i worked them the previous day. To be honest, as embarassing as this is, I think i have low testosterone levels even for a 20 year old who should be raging. I dont know if this is the problem or not but I'm finally having them checked this week. I wanted to take a supplement that could help me gain size while maybe helping my test levels but im gonna start a new thread about that. I guess if i should feel comfortable asking anyone it would be you guys right?
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  238 lbs.

Always wise to check with your doctor if you feel something isn't right. At least you'll know and can move forward from there. If your goal is to put on size also, try eating 250 grams of protein, 350 carbs, and 55 grams of fat a day. Journal it. See how your energy in and out of the gym feels and tweek it from there. I've gone on a bulk diet since Dec. 1st and have gained 12 lbs of lean mass. 275 protein, 400 carbs, 55 fat. But I'm tellin you man, it's all clean food. Whole grain this, low fat this, high protein that. 2-3 shakes a day. 6 meals + a day. Taper carbs after 5th meal. This has worked for me. I was at 250 carbs a day to lean out for a year or so. Let us know what doc says.
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.

Andy G thanks for the advice. I'm gonna start writing down everything I eat and up my protein shakes to 2-3 a day. I also read your page and congrats on the life turnaround man.
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  238 lbs.

Thanks a lot. Bodybuilding is an awesome way to live. I'm a better person cuz of it too. If you happen to eat something that doesn't have nutritional info on it, i.e. fruits, veggies, etc., try going to carlorieking.com or peertrainer.com to type in the food and portion size of whatever you just ate and it can give you a nutritional breakdown. Also, slow acting/digesting casein type proteins(l.f. or no fat cottage cheese) before bed so they're there during your nightly fast. Breakfast, eat as soon as you get up to 'break your fast.' Lots of h2o. I'm also assuming you have proper form and a solid workout program in place. You know there's tons out there I'm sure. Dedication, dedication, dedication. My wife thinks I'm insane for writing all my macros and meals down, but when my shirt comes off or i'm actually gettin some, she's all about it. Make fun of that bioootch!! Gotta love her though.
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.

well sore or not im going to continue to lift and stay dedicated. ive never really taken a supplement before so i think i would have good gains on one. a few people have reccomended activate xtreme, along with a few other products. You guys have any ideas or should i start a sep. thread for that.
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  238 lbs.

I'd start another thread for that one. I'm not familiar with activate xtreme.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. WTH Happened ???
    By CROWLER in forum Supplements
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 02-24-2010, 03:22 PM
  2. What Happened???
    By jbarriga777 in forum LG Sciences
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-11-2008, 01:25 PM
  3. It happened...
    By ShakesAllDay in forum General Chat