Good training regime?

Random181

Awards
  • Established
Hey all! this forum has been awesome so far and I was wondering whether anyone could give me some training advice? :)

Monday: shoulders:
lateral raise 1 set 8-15 reps
Smith machine press 1 set 6-10 reps
Frontal raise 1 set 8-15 reps
Arnold press 1 set 8-15 reps

Tuesday: Triceps,abs
Skull crushers 1 set 8-15 reps
Straight bar push downs 2 sets 1 set 8-15 reps, 1 set 3-8 reps
Close grip press ups
Crunches 1 set of 40
air cycling 1 set to failure

Thursday: Back,Biceps
Preacher curls 2 set of 8-15 reps
Standing or seated alternation curls 1 set of 8-15 reps
Reverse dumbell curls 1 set of 8-15 reps
1 arm dumbell rows 1 set of 8-15 reps
assisted pull ups 1 set of 8-15 reps
Deadlift 1 set of 8-15 reps

Friday:Chest,
Barbell flat press 1 set 3-8 reps
Barbell incline press 1 set 3-8 reps
Incline flies 1 set 8-12 reps
Dumbell pullovers 1 set of 8-12 reps

Anyone have any suggestions for possible improvements? :)

WeakPoint

WeakPoint

Awards
  • Established
What he said above^^^

Also, if I'm reading correctly your only doing 1-2 sets per exercise. I would suggest upping your sets to atleast 3-4 per exercise and maybe lowering your volume. Heres the things I would change out of your routine.

Monday: shoulders, TRICEPS:
side lateral raise 3 sets 8-15 reps
Smith machine press 4 sets 6-10 reps BB or DB press are other possibilites but if you dont got spot I'd use smith still.
Frontal raise 3 sets 8-15 reps
Up-right Row 3 sets 8-15 reps
Rear DB Flyes 3 sets 8-15 reps

Skull crushers 3 sets 8-15 reps
Reverse Straight bar push downs 3 sets 8-15 reps,
Close grip Bench 3 sets 8-15 reps
Weighted Decline Crunches 3 sets 10-15 reps
That might be a lot for you, but its generally enough for me, you can always remove triceps and work your arms all on one day. This is just an example you can change it up to match your personal preference.

Tuesday: Back,Biceps
Deadlifts 4 sets 6-12 reps
Wide-Grip Pull-downs 3 sets 8-15 reps
BB or DB row 3 sets 8-15 reps
assisted pull ups 3 sets of 8-15 reps
Seated Row 3 Sets 8-15 reps
Preacher Curl 3 sets 8-15 reps
Wide-Grip Barbell Curls 3 sets of 8-15 reps
Hammer Curls 3 sets 8-15 reps
Its up to you to decide your rep ranges, whether you are trying to cut/bulk or working for strength, these are just examples.

Thursday:Chest,
Barbell flat press 3 sets 6-10 reps
Barbell incline press 3 sets 6-10 reps
Incline flies 3 sets 8-12 reps
Decline Press 3 sets of 8-12 reps
Cable Cross-overs 3 sets of 8-12 reps

Friday: Legs
Squats 4-5 Sets 6-12 reps
Lunges 3 sets 8-12 reps
Leg Extension 3 sets 8-12 reps
Leg Curls 3 sets 8-12 reps
Calf Raises 3 sets 8-12 reps
This is the leg work-out my trainer had me using when I first started doing legs, it would alternate Squat with Leg Press or I'd do 3 sets of 25 reps on the Leg press after my Lunges.

These are all just random exercises I enjoy doing but it hits everything atleast I think I didn't miss anything.

Random181

Awards
  • Established
My apologies for not putting legs in guys, got distracted and forgot to add them. Weakpoint: that looks to be an awesome workout ill give it a go! only thing is im not sure whether I have enough endurance to do the monday workout thats one hell of a lot of exercise! Ill try it for now and get back to you all, thanks a bunch for the advice:)

Random181

Awards
  • Established
Tried it out!

Okay so today I tried the monday workout! I just couldnt manage to get all the sets done, was completely out of energy, im guessing that that would be a problem with diet?

MoTiV

Awards
  • Established
Okay so today I tried the monday workout! I just couldnt manage to get all the sets done, was completely out of energy, im guessing that that would be a problem with diet?

What exactly are your goals? IMO, even for a bodybuilding workout that is too much volume.

How much time did it take you to get through the workout until you were exhausted?

For a bodybuilding routine training 1-2 bodyparts a day I wouldn't lift weights in the gym longer than 45 minutes. It's more important to eat than to lift for 15 minutes more.

Random181

Awards
  • Established
Very simply get huge:p Do you have any suggested alterations to the workouts weak point posted? it took me about an hour and a half yesterday and it was no where near done.

MoTiV

Awards
  • Established
Very simply get huge:p Do you have any suggested alterations to the workouts weak point posted? it took me about an hour and a half yesterday and it was no where near done.

I stopped trying to get huge partly because I realized I always wanted to be pound4pound strong and all-around athletic rather than huge. Also, because I sucked at gettin big lol.

My weight training workouts focus on compound lifts including olympic lifts for strength and power. So getting huge isn't on my list of things to do anymore. Although I can tell you that in order to do the routine I am doing I needed to know all my 1RM so I took two weeks and found most of my maxes and I accidentally gained 10 lbs without even trying.

I'm not sure what your stats are so I don't know which program would be better for you to start off in.

Random181

Awards
  • Established
lol, good luck with your strongman training then!:) as for my stats im 5 foot 8, 150lbs and 16 years old (high natural test FTW!!!!) are you aware of any good training programs I can follow with these stats? thanks for all the advice so far!

MoTiV

Awards
  • Established
Being that young you have a chance to start out doing everything right. It doesn't matter what kind of weight training you do some sort of Squat should be done at least once a week. More completely, center your workouts around compound lifts and have some isolated lifts if your looking for muscle definition.

The number one thing to keep in mind is that you grow outside of the gym not in it. Eating enough of GOOD calories and getting 8-9 hours sleep is the most important part of "gettin huge".

IMO, if I were you I'd figure out a random split that involves all your muscle groups including legs :pat: that works for you. I'd include 1-2 compound exercises per bodypart and maybe one isolated exercise and see how long it takes you to finish your routine. If you can do it in less than 45 minutes I'd throw in something else until you hit that 45 minute mark.

I have to remind you that the squat is the number one exercise as far as involving your entire body and releasing hgh, if you can master the squat early on (full depth) and are really determined when you get under the bar you'll get huge (and strong).