AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have been using Max-OT for a few weeks now and I'm enjoying it. I've used it in the past, but never actually found an answer to one question. When do you increase the weight?

Lets say I'm doing 3 sets of incline bench at 225 lbs. First and second set I do 6 reps, the third set, I only do 5 though. Would I increase the weight 5 pounds assuming I can do at least 4 reps all 3 sets with this increase, or do I only increase the weight when I do 6 reps for all sets on a specific exercise?

fritzer

fritzer

Awards
  • Established
yes.
if it were me and i hit 275 x 6 i would go up 5lbs until i hit 280 x 6

not uncommon to see 275 x 6, 280 x 5, 280 x 4 for example --> but next week start with 280

if you mess up and get three it isnt a big deal

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
I would say, whenever you could do a weight 5 times on your last set, increase the weight for the next week. Even if you could only do 4 reps, you could still try to increase the weight if you wanted to.

For example, if I were doing three sets and got a weight 6, 5, 4, then I would increase the weight the next week. If I got something 5, 4, 4, I might try the same weight again the next week, shooting for more reps, and if I achieved that, then increase the weight the next week. I usually played it by feel.

Also, make sure you keep your rest times to around 1-1.5 minutes. This way you really up the intensity.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I would say, whenever you could do a weight 5 times on your last set, increase the weight for the next week. Even if you could only do 4 reps, you could still try to increase the weight if you wanted to.

For example, if I were doing three sets and got a weight 6, 5, 4, then I would increase the weight the next week. If I got something 5, 4, 4, I might try the same weight again the next week, shooting for more reps, and if I achieved that, then increase the weight the next week. I usually played it by feel.

Also, make sure you keep your rest times to around 1-1.5 minutes. This way you really up the intensity.
This is what I have been doing weight wise. I have followed the Max-OT manual and have rested 2-3 minutes in between sets. Is there and benefit to only resting 1-1.5 minutes?

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
This is what I have been doing weight wise. I have followed the Max-OT manual and have rested 2-3 minutes in between sets. Is there and benefit to only resting 1-1.5 minutes?
I'd forgotten that they recommend a 2-3 rest minute time. If you want to follow that program to the T, then do what they say. I think you could afford to increase the intensity by dropping the rest time between sets. You won't necessarily be able to lift more weight in the end, but the added intensity should deliver more results. But that's just my opinion. You could always just rest about 2 minutes or so. But Max-OT, to me, is fairly low volume. So in my opinion, you'd want to be as intense as possible. This is of course going to make the workouts even harder, but hopefully that doesn't scare you ;) . Just make sure you're not overtraining. Ways to increase intensity include decreasing rest times and increasing weight, among other things.

That's just my 2 cents.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'd forgotten that they recommend a 2-3 rest minute time. If you want to follow that program to the T, then do what they say. I think you could afford to increase the intensity by dropping the rest time between sets. You won't necessarily be able to lift more weight in the end, but the added intensity should deliver more results. But that's just my opinion. You could always just rest about 2 minutes or so. But Max-OT, to me, is fairly low volume. So in my opinion, you'd want to be as intense as possible. This is of course going to make the workouts even harder, but hopefully that doesn't scare you ;) . Just make sure you're not overtraining. Ways to increase intensity include decreasing rest times and increasing weight, among other things.

That's just my 2 cents.
The intensity issue is why I am following Max-OT. I have tried other routines that are higher volume and actually lost weight and wasn't progressing at all while bulking. Also, I need more strength and believe that size will come with strength since I'm only 5'9 at 178 pounds. I actually gave your advice a shot, resting 1-1.5 minutes, for some of my muscle groups and exercises. For legs yesterday I only rested 60-90 seconds between calves and while doing hammer curls today I did the same. It didn't seem to effect the weight I could loft too much. I might do this for other muscle groups/particular exercises for now on.