Upper traps/trap height

Nightwanderer

Nightwanderer

Awards
  • Established
Today was back day for me and after shrugs, upright rows, and some cable machine work, the midsection of my traps are already feeling the beginning of tomorrow's pain!

However, I'd really like to build some height, you know, that portion of your traps that connects at the back of your neck? Is there anything we can do specifically for height or width or is that purely genetic?

sportsfan4110

sportsfan4110

Awards
i would just work on developing your overall trap mass.. behind the back barbell shrugs work good for me and feel it in the upper back of my traps... i usually don't go real heavy on shrugs as i just focus on pulling my traps up as high as possible and squeeeeeeeeeeezing the crap out of them... i feel like my traps are one of my best bodyparts on me, but thats just me

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This is a good question. esp for immediate and lower level guys. I consider myself immediate level. Once you start doing (super heavy deads)500 lb deadlifts no need to do trap exercises those things pull so hard at the traps they are stimulated. heavy shrugs alone work well.

as far as the upper region hack squats shrugs seem to work the upper region decently. what you want to strive for is a super strong deadlift to build mountain traps.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i would just work on developing your overall trap mass.. behind the back barbell shrugs work good for me and feel it in the upper back of my traps... i usually don't go real heavy on shrugs as i just focus on pulling my traps up as high as possible and squeeeeeeeeeeezing the crap out of them... i feel like my traps are one of my best bodyparts on me, but thats just me
i like these as well. your right sqeeze them hard feel them contract.