Time Between Sets question - AnabolicMinds.com

Time Between Sets question

1. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  216 lbs.

Time Between Sets question

Ok i have a quick question about rest between sets. Im lifting for football and the coach is having us do the bigger, faster, stronger workout. But my problem is that he gives us 0 rest between sets and exercises. I thought to get the most out of our muscles we needed to let the muscle rest so you can get the most of it. If we lift, we HAVE to be in there from 3-4:30 lifting with no break or rest between sets. Also very little water. Its killing us. And also if we get done with the workout for the day, he makes us do even more. I feel like this is overtraining. He always works the same muscle groups. We never do abs or Lats or any direct Arm work(no big deal to me) but he makes us bench twice. Today for example i got done with Bench (5x5) and he told me to do the same thing but with dumbbells. My teammate and i tried to talk to him about this stuff and he said he knows what he is doing and we dont. Thats why he is the coach. Any Clarification on These issues? We are High Schoolers.

2. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.

Seems to happen quite a lot in high schools. I know it was like that back in my day.

Sucks ass! Best thing you can do, I guess, is be sure you're eating a shi-ton of high quality food.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  185 lbs.

2-3 minutes min when lifting heavy. Tell you coach to go to defrancostraining.com

Look at his philophies, and ideas....theres a reason they are top 30 in the world and have so many pro athletes.
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  216 lbs.

thanks guyss.
  5. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  285 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by dlutz74 View Post
    Ok i have a quick question about rest between sets. Im lifting for football and the coach is having us do the bigger, faster, stronger workout. But my problem is that he gives us 0 rest between sets and exercises. I thought to get the most out of our muscles we needed to let the muscle rest so you can get the most of it. If we lift, we HAVE to be in there from 3-4:30 lifting with no break or rest between sets. Also very little water. Its killing us. And also if we get done with the workout for the day, he makes us do even more. I feel like this is overtraining. He always works the same muscle groups. We never do abs or Lats or any direct Arm work(no big deal to me) but he makes us bench twice. Today for example i got done with Bench (5x5) and he told me to do the same thing but with dumbbells. My teammate and i tried to talk to him about this stuff and he said he knows what he is doing and we dont. Thats why he is the coach. Any Clarification on These issues? We are High Schoolers.
    As a football coach and certified strength and conditioning coach, I can tell you that most football coaches are just passing on the S&C knowledge that they learned from someone else. Many times what they are passing on is wrong. Since I have not seen all you coach is having you do I won't pass judgment.

Anyway, in most athletic programs you train with weights off-season 5 days a week. We do agilities, plyos and running afterwards. I honestly feel if you are getting plenty of rest and eating right your body can handle that amount of stress, especially being young. I am 52 years old and I train very hard 6 days a week.

Now here is my opinion from what you have told me. You coach has you training 5 x 5. When you are using 5 repetitions you goal should be to gain strength. You are obviously training with 80% - 90% of your max. In order to recovery fully and get the most out of this type of training you need to rest about 3 minutes between the sets of 5 reps. Sometimes time constraints in school do not allow this, but I don't know your situation. Like I said, base on what you have posted, I would agree wit you that you need more time in between your heavy sets.

Now remember what you are doing in the weight room is building a better athlete. Many of the exercises like bicep curls do nothing to benefit a football player. You really need to stick with compound movements like bench press, inclines, military press, close grips, squats, cleans/deadlifts etc. Isolated movements do not directly transfer to movements you will use playing football. Probably why he doesn't want you doing biceps. However, guy want to look good for the girls so I throw this in with my kids.

IMHO there is no excuse for not doing ABS. Your core (abs/low back) is the base of your strength. If you have a weak core you are going to get injured. Real simple. So after you train, you should be doing some ab work. These you can always do on your own too. I would also do some low back work like hypers or good mornings on your own.

Here is my advice, always do what your coach says. He might not be right but you know how it goes.....the coach is always right. It will honestly do no good to argue. He will win and you stand to lose. Do his workout, and then stay a little longer after you are done and do the things you want to do.

Aside from that, make sure you are eating more than enough (breakfast, lunch and dinner) and don't be staying up all night. You might even consider bringing you won lunch every day with a couple of snacks. Often times, the lack of nutrition causes the body not to be able to recover, thus over training.

Good luck and let me know if I can help. Heck, I might even know you coach.....who know?
  6. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  216 lbs.

ok thanks guyss, i forgot to mention we do the Bigger Faster Stronger Workout Program.
  7. Board Sponsor

Normal days... 1.5-2 minutes. Light days, 45 seconds-1 minute. I love the pump I get on light days!

Similar Forum Threads

1. rest between sets and bench press question
    By DerickVonD in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 01-10-2011, 12:04 AM
  2. Single sets or multiple Sets for Building Muscle?
    By anoopbal in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-31-2010, 04:27 AM
  3. Question about Benching sets of five...
    By DB21 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 06-12-2010, 08:54 PM
  4. warm up sets and cool down sets
    By Delta Force in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-15-2009, 01:04 AM
  5. Question on Anabolic Xtreme's Box Sets
    By propho in forum Cycle Info
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 12-06-2005, 11:36 PM