popping knee = imbalance?

BiggerGeek

Awards
So, i've posted about this in the past and got little help. Thought I might give it another go.

My knees pop when I squat, however, recently my left knee has been popping and my right knee hasn't. This is leading me to believe that I once had a balance weakness which is now an imbalance which is getting worse.

My knee has been popping worse than ever. Basically, I can feel the tendon on the outside of my left leg slide towards the back of my knee ever time my knee and thigh pass 90 degrees, regardless of my thigh angle relative to my body, however it is worse when my thigh is at an angle to my body (like when squating).

I have experimented with different toe angles, stance widths etc. I thought I might be having some side to side movement in my knees, but focusing on that really hasn't help.

I tried rotating leg extensions into my lifts (to hit some different angles) but this seemed to make it worse. I dropped them after two weeks.

Anyone got any suggestions on what it might be and/or how to fix it?

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So, i've posted about this in the past and got little help. Thought I might give it another go.

My knees pop when I squat, however, recently my left knee has been popping and my right knee hasn't. This is leading me to believe that I once had a balance weakness which is now an imbalance which is getting worse.

My knee has been popping worse than ever. Basically, I can feel the tendon on the outside of my left leg slide towards the back of my knee ever time my knee and thigh pass 90 degrees, regardless of my thigh angle relative to my body, however it is worse when my thigh is at an angle to my body (like when squating).

I have experimented with different toe angles, stance widths etc. I thought I might be having some side to side movement in my knees, but focusing on that really hasn't help.

I tried rotating leg extensions into my lifts (to hit some different angles) but this seemed to make it worse. I dropped them after two weeks.

Anyone got any suggestions on what it might be and/or how to fix it?
are your knees buckling as you push up? such as looking like this ><

BrianTheOx

BrianTheOx

Awards
I think I have the same problem as you. Any way you can post a video so we can see what it looks like?.. and google "lateral collateral ligament tear" see if thats it...

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
A chiropractor told me to eat more fresh pineapple to get rid of my popping knees. So i tried that and it worked :)

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
A chiropractor told me to eat more fresh pineapple to get rid of my popping knees. So i tried that and it worked :)
MMMMmmmm, got to love bromelain in pineapples

OP,
When you squat do you sit back or down? Do you break at the knee's first or the hips? Do you push your knees out to the sides when you squat? Finally what type of shoes do you wear when squatting?

One thing I can recommend is trying Terminal Knee Extensions.
Here is a link to the exercise:
http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?qid=33895&tid=115

conwict

conwict

Awards
  • Established
Google "Third world squat." I bet it's a hip or ankle flexibility/mobility issue.

Do core stability stuff (plank, ab rollouts with good form)

Search Youtube for a Bill Hartman ankle mobility video

Foam roll

BiggerGeek

Awards
Thanks for all the responses

I'll have to evaluate my squat to answer some of your questions.

I have been working on hip and ankle mobility. I picked up several drills off of tnation. I also have been foam rolling (although admittedly not recently). I squat barefoot, which seems to help somewhat.

When squatting I try my best to sit back and I believe I initiate the movement at the knees.

I do have tight hips and hamstrings...which I am working on. Not sure of this is the sole answer though. Doubt pineapples will help. They tendon popping over the bump (or whatever it is) is visible when it happens.

BiggerGeek

Awards
I think I have the same problem as you. Any way you can post a video so we can see what it looks like?.. and google "lateral collateral ligament tear" see if thats it...
I don't think it is a tear or anything but the LCL seams to be the bugger thats popping...

from http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/307959-overview

Lateral collateral ligament (LCL) injury

* The patient commonly reports a history of varus force applied to the knee.
* Most patients are able to continue ambulating after an acute injury.
* Pain and stiffness are localized to the lateral knee.
* Erythema may appear after several days.
* Swelling is often present.
* Instability or mechanical symptoms (eg, a locking or popping sensation) are uncommon.

conwict

conwict

Awards
  • Established
Do the leg spreader machine or a similar movement (outward that is) and push your knees OUT HARD when you squat, especially coming out of the hole.

Try glute activation if none of the above works. Glutes are the primary shock absorbers for the knees.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I bet it's a hip or ankle flexibility/mobility issue.
Good post. I was gonna say the exact same thing after reading the initial post.

I doubt this is an LCL issue. You'd have too much pain to even consider squating and it would problematic during daily activities. It sounds more like your IT band, which relates to the hip flexibility issue.

The IT band is the long tendon that crosses the outside of the knee. It comes from the tensor fascia latae muscle, which is a hip abductor (leg spreader).

IT band stretch:
-lie on your back
-cross your affected leg over your body aiming your over your opposite hip
-allow your knee to relax and bend slightly (somewhere around 45 degrees)
-let your leg "hang" over with gravity pulling, add slight overpressure with one of your hands if you need the extra resistance

If this doesn't solve your problem after a few days, I've seen a few people with bursitis at the IT band insertion around the knee. That's a potentially tough nagging issue to try to get rid of.

You can figure out how to stretch your calves on your own ;)