What incline bench degree do you use?

1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  166 lbs.

What incline bench degree do you use?

As the title states. I'm havin' trouble developing my upper and inner chest and want to really focus on my incline form. Right now I use the 45 degree setting...somebody on this forum mentioned using 60-65 degrees but just looking at that I feel like I'd be hitting my shoulders way more than the chest. So that being said, what degree do you guys use?

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

I use them all bro. Best thing you can do to hit all angles. Start flat and hit a set all the way up to just under chest press
    - Join Me: Tex89 M-Sten RX Log... Dicing that iron -
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/cycle-info/222790-tex89s-msten-rx.html
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"   lbs.

When I do incline bench I am around 30. If you go to high you are working to much shoulders.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  166 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasLifter89 View Post
    I use them all bro. Best thing you can do to hit all angles. Start flat and hit a set all the way up to just under chest press
    I like that idea. I'll give it a shot next week
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by tehockey View Post
    I like that idea. I'll give it a shot next week
    Yup. and if you are using Barbell just hit it like normal, then go to cable pulls and hit those a set with each notch top to bottom.
    - Join Me: Tex89 M-Sten RX Log... Dicing that iron -
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/cycle-info/222790-tex89s-msten-rx.html
  6. Registered User

My favourite for chest is 30°.
    I don't like 45 cause sholders where stressed a lot.
  7. Board Sponsor
    Board Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by TexasLifter89 View Post
    Yup. and if you are using Barbell just hit it like normal, then go to cable pulls and hit those a set with each notch top to bottom.
    Our machine has 18 settings on each side lol. That is too many sets! I usually do 4 sets of cable flyes. I do them mostly for the lower chest, but sometimes I switch it up.
  8. Registered User

i do 30 degrees for db presses and then do 37 degrees for incline flyes any higher and i feel it in my shoulders too much
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  285 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick26 View Post
    When I do incline bench I am around 30. If you go to high you are working to much shoulders.

I agree. The more you incline the more is taken off the pectorals and placed on the deltoids. I remember Dorian Yates being real big on keeping the inclines down to about 30% for the same reasons.

Here is a piece from a Muscle and Fitness article I wrote years back, "The incline position would put the arm in more of a flexed position than either the flat or decline positions. According to EMG studies this advice seems to be pretty much true. The Barnett study tells us that the incline position produces just slightly more electrical energy in the upper pecs that either the flat or decline positions. However, the flat bench was found to be very close. While the difference between the two was considered insignificant, the slight advantage of the incline over the flat bench in upper pec activation may be just what some of us need to further develop the upper pecs."

So a slight incline is really all you need to do to hit the upper pecs which also allows you to stay relatively heavy to stimulate extra growth. My article went on to say, "Nevertheless, if you are going to use the incline position to target the upper pecs, a narrower grip has been shown to best activate them. Professional bodybuilder Mike Francois agrees and says "A grip that is just a little bit wider than shoulder’s width really hits my upper pecs best."

Research studies back up Mike Francois claim by finding, "The incline bench press with a wide grip produced more electrical energy in the anterior deltoid than the narrow grip."

So don't over do the level of inclination so as not to deactivate the upper pecs and you might even try narrowing the grip a little.
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  166 lbs.

thanks for the responses guys, I'm gonna try 30 degrees on the incline next week and see how it feels.
  11. Board Sponsor
    Board Sponsor

For me, 45 degrees. Anymore and I feel it too much in my shoulders.
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  155 lbs.

30-35 is what I normally do, but I never do bb press, only db press because it stimulates more muscle fibers and works better for me.
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

I typically go for about a 30 degree incline, using dumbbells for greater range of motion. The way my chest is naturally shaped, I get more out of incline dumbbells than with a barbell. Also, it's not a bad idea to start with a slight incline, and set by set, increase the incline little by little, as to work the muscles from more angles. Just never go past 45 degrees, as your shoulders will have to come into play more than you'd want. Actually, I'd never go past 40 degrees for any reason. Also, just to make the muscle work harder, try squeezing your pecs together at the top of the movement for a moment. More contraction = more stimulation, which is what you want.
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  171 lbs.

i just go as high as the bench will let me.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Flat Bench vs. Incline Bench
    By noviceiron in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 84
    Last Post: 10-17-2010, 02:33 PM
  2. Incline Bench PR
    By tattoopierced1 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-17-2010, 12:07 AM
  3. BB incline bench debunked
    By ItsHectic in forum Exercise Science