Hammer strength Machines

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Hi All:

I've just recently started using the Hammer Srength Machines at my Gym and really like them. Do people think these are just as good for building Mass. I find I can go really Heavy and not worry about a spotter however i dont' know how much weight i am lifting since I dont' know how much weight there is without the plates on it.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
hey i have these at my school gym, exact brand and somewhere on the machines it usually states the starting weight. just look around on em

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
Yeah on a lot of them it will tell you but it really doesn't matter just keep track of the plates you have on. And IMO they are great machines, actually a blessing for my joints.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Even though they are not machines, the weight still travels in a pre-determined path. You are not going to incorporate as many stabilizer muscles vs. the use of free weights. Hammer strength units are essentially the same as machines, with the ability to isolate each side individually, and use standard Olympic sized plates.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Even though they are not machines, the weight still travels in a pre-determined path. You are not going to incorporate as many stabilizer muscles vs. the use of free weights. Hammer strength units are essentially the same as machines, with the ability to isolate each side individually, and use standard Olympic sized plates.
agreed. i would use them only if i absolutely did not have a spot.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
They are great for TUT, which is one of the most important elements for hypertrophy.

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

One thing i like about them though is that I have the ability to lower the weight as slow as i want and not worry about not being able to get the weight back up.

Also how do you feel about the new free form machines that use cables. my gym got a bunch of these a while ago and they don't seem to have a predetermined path.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I like them, however I would never recommend anyone use them soley for a workout

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
What are your goals? If it is to just look good naked then hammer strength machines are going to be a good tool for you. If your looking to bodybuild they are going to be great to isolate weak or lagging muscle groups and tweak your entire bodies proportions and symmetry. If your an athlete they may be great for keep your strength up during a season but are not going to be your best bet offseason. If you are looking to get big and bulky then they will make good finishers exercises but should only be done in addition to your bread and butter movements like bench, deadlift, squat, etc. Finally if your a powerlifter or train like one, they are awesome for your deload weeks or extra workouts to get blood going and enhance recovery.

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
What are your goals? If it is to just look good naked then hammer strength machines are going to be a good tool for you. If your looking to bodybuild they are going to be great to isolate weak or lagging muscle groups and tweak your entire bodies proportions and symmetry. If your an athlete they may be great for keep your strength up during a season but are not going to be your best bet offseason. If you are looking to get big and bulky then they will make good finishers exercises but should only be done in addition to your bread and butter movements like bench, deadlift, squat, etc. Finally if your a powerlifter or train like one, they are awesome for your deload weeks or extra workouts to get blood going and enhance recovery.

I Mainly use them at the end of a workout to rep out on and also to concentrate on slow negatives. on incline and decline pressess I also use the to Push Heavy weight 3-4 reps when i'm tired that i wouldnt' feel comfortable doing without a spot . and I like to use the shoulder machine to warm up my joints. Most of my work is done with free weights and i just recently started using these machines and realized they werent' bad at all

JohnnyBGood

JohnnyBGood

Awards
Sorry what does TUT stand for?
Time under tension, meaning just what it sounds like-the total time your muscles are subjected to the resistance. More is better for hypertrophy