Need leg routine for strength

1. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.96%

Need leg routine for strength

Ever since I can remember, my legs have been weak. Any time I do any leg exercises, my knees feel like they are going to break and want to give out. Which in turn makes me favor them and use more lower back when I shouldn't. And it doesn't matter the weight. It feels the same whether I squat with 225 or just bodyweight. They have always been like this. I'll catch myself deadlifting, mostly using all back because of this.

What I'm looking for is a routine/advice to strengthen my legs and knees. I mostly feel the weakness/pain in my lower quad/knee. Thanks.

EDIT: It could also be poor form. Any websites on proper technique would help.

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.7%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Have you tried light hack squats? Maybe those and leg extensions to build up the muscles and tendons in the lower quads and knees. Then some leg curls to work the hams.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.11%

My knees hurt more when I run than when I squat if you can believe it. Unless there is something wrong with your knees, you may just need to strengthen the muscles and get your knees used to it.

If you aren't hitting legs 1x per week, start doing this. I used to slack on legs until about 3 months ago. I used to dread legs because of discomfort in my knees and feeling relatively weak with my squat. Your leg strength will increase pretty quickly though. I don't even notice any discomfort in my knees when squatting any more.

Stretch out real good before lifting, including your lower back out first as well. Use light weight and strict form until you get used to it. If this doesn't work, you might try knee braces to stabilize the joint. It seems to help if you stick your butt out a bit just prior to beginning the squat. I keep my head pointed up at 45 degrees, and that seems to help keep the weight on my quads and off my lower back.

Also, you might use a smith machine for squats. Your knee muscles won't have to work as hard to stabilize the weight, and you can't lean forward so it keeps the weight on your quads. See if the smith machine helps and if the knee discomfort subsides, start doing regular squats.

Good luck.
    •   

4. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.96%

Good info. I'll definitely start going lighter and concentrate on form, keeps the quads working and less knee involvement. Thanks guys.
  5. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  208 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.25%

hey man i know what a bitch bad knees can be. In your case it sounds like you may have genetic issues but here's a page all on squats and form. i hope it helps.

athleticadvisor.com /Weight_Room/squats .htm

take out the space before .com, / and .htm. i dont have 50 posts yet.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Best Routine for Strength/Athletiscm
    By jumpshot903 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-13-2011, 06:20 PM
  2. Routine for Strength
    By wsaucer in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-02-2011, 03:29 PM
  3. What is the best 5x5 strength building routine?
    By jdhil90 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-20-2010, 07:52 PM
  4. Looking for Olympic Strength routine...
    By JassUSMC in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-23-2009, 06:07 PM
  5. Strength routine question
    By RenegadeRows in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-19-2008, 11:20 PM