Need help with strength program

1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  145 lbs.

Need help with strength program

I have been lifting for hypertrophy for almost two years now, and I need a break from that. I would like to start a new strength program. I've never really done one before, although I have played with 3-5 rep schemes in the past. So here are some points to keep in mind.

* I can guarantee at least 3 days in the gym and at times even 5. However, I think picking a 4 day split would be where I could be most consistent.

* I am recovering from a medial miniscus tear in my right knee.

* I have slight left elbow issues. Just some funky feelings and random joint soreness.

* I would like to incorporate some Power/Olympic lifts here and there. Although I haven't done any, I am open to trying new things. The power clean is definitely something I want to incorporate.

* My main motivation for this strength program is to improve total body strength to have a better base when I go back to hypertrophy in a year or so.

* Although I do like to bodybuild, my goal is not to reach a professional body builders physique. I do want to get big, lean, and be aesthetically pleasing to the eye.

To get an idea of my current plan and what I've been doing since September, click on my sig "Intra Aid & Beta Ala9". It's my current log.

If there is any other information I can provide to help you help me, let me know. Thanks everyone in advanced for the help.

2. The BPS Rep
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.

Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength Program is perfect for 3 days a week - http://www.startingstrength.net/workouts/

For a 4day split, I'd recommend setting up either a 5x5, 4x6, or 6x3 program. This article gives some great ideas: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_..._and_dense&cr=

Also, Bill Starr's 5x5 is excellent - http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow...Linear_5x5.htm
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

***NOW @ NP***
  3. Registered User

i follow a conjugate method of training, popularized by westside.

Tons of good articles on westside-barbell.com and elitefts.com.

While your reading up and trying to understand all of that you can start with either wendler's 5-3-1 program (look in elitefts) or a good simple program that is explained well is westside for skinny bastards (google is your friend). Both follow the same methodology.
    1010 Squat @ 220 (#1 ranking in world) 801 Dead @ 198 (#1 ranking in world)
    Sponsored by USPLabs
    Live Your DREAMS -> WWW . KABUKIWARRIOR . COM
    •   

4. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

WS for skinny bastards was one of the templates I used for my current routine.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    4'6"   lbs.

In my mind its all genetics, the high weight, low rep training raisse hell with your joints. The best method I have found to increase strength is progressive loading keeping your reps no lower than 8, 3 to 4 sets. HST is the way to go for most that are not genetically gifted JMO
  6. Registered User

I had these pains for a number of years but high doses of fish (12+g) and super cissus and i've been problem free for some time.
    1010 Squat @ 220 (#1 ranking in world) 801 Dead @ 198 (#1 ranking in world)
    Sponsored by USPLabs
    Live Your DREAMS -> WWW . KABUKIWARRIOR . COM
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  145 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by kabuki View Post
    i follow a conjugate method of training, popularized by westside.

Tons of good articles on westside-barbell.com and elitefts.com.

While your reading up and trying to understand all of that you can start with either wendler's 5-3-1 program (look in elitefts) or a good simple program that is explained well is westside for skinny bastards (google is your friend). Both follow the same methodology.
    Thank you. I will look into that. In your videos I see that you use a lot of extra equipment though, and I only have a regular gym at my disposal.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Strength Program
    By Bnatural in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-17-2011, 11:09 AM
  2. Good program for strength? Yes or No?
    By DaveWalton in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-24-2009, 01:27 PM
  3. Absolute Best Program For Strength?
    By True74Seneca in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-09-2009, 11:32 AM
  4. 3x3 program for strength
    By warriorway in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-06-2007, 04:16 PM
  5. strength program...