Running stairs. How to train?

Maverick60

Awards
  • Established
Im two and a half months out of a 52 flight, 1197 stair race in San Francisco.

Im not in great cardio shape, but im not pathetic. I ran a 10k and 3 5k's in the last year, but I didnt really train for those. So my problem is that I dont think I can just show up the day of this event and end up alright at the top. Ill probably die.

So who has advice for getting into shape for something like this? Anyone have any experience in these types of events?

I figure I can do some high rep squats and lunges, tons of reps on the calf lifts, and some HIIT. The reason I didnt train for the 5 and 10k's is because since the Marines, I despise distance running. Should I bite the bullet and add a few miles a week to my training?

What does AM think?

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Well I would say find some high rise buildings and run some steps! Cardio and plyometric training with high intensity would help. Some leg work and a good diet.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
Sounds terrible lol

As for advice, the #1 style of training your should be doing is running stairs. No real reason to do anything else. Practice how you play.

Maverick60

Awards
  • Established
Well we only have one good size building here in Modesto, and even thats only a 17 or 18 floor hotel. I dont think theyd be too happy with some weirdo running up and down their stairs a few times. lol. The next best thing we have around here is the junior college football bleachers. No hills or anything. Another bummer of living in the valley.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Well I would say find some high rise buildings and run some steps! Cardio and plyometric training with high intensity would help. Some leg work and a good diet.

I agree with this ^ and yes I would log a few miles. Not marathon miles, but still would get a steady routine of some. Plyometrics, HIIT, lunges, box jumps, climb some real stairs, maybe stair stepper in gym as a substitute or row machine, burpees, KB swings, and other things like that. Be sure to hydrate well and take in plenty of electrolytes and stretch. I can see it being easy to cramp up racing stairs like that.

Sounds like fun though man.

Semper!

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Do the bleachers up and down

Maverick60

Awards
  • Established
Ran the bleachers yesterday after my leg workout. Brutal. I figured that while my legs were fatigued from the gym, that would be a great time to build stair climbing endurance... Bad move! I can barely walk today. My ass muscles are so sore I cant even sit down.

I think Ill just run the bleachers without the leg workout next time and go from there.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Sounds like progress to me. Like the first time in the gym and your all sore. Keep it up. Also, I thought about pistol squats. They may be good as well.

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Hmmm, so bleachers targeted ass muscle, that means stairs will as well. I would throw in walking lunges to help build you up then.

Maverick60

Awards
  • Established
Sounds like progress to me. Like the first time in the gym and your all sore. Keep it up. Also, I thought about pistol squats. They may be good as well.
I looked those up on youtube and the guy made it look easy. I tried one and fell to the floor before I got half way down. Guess Ill try em again in a day or two when Im feeling a bit more fresh. Haha.

Hmmm, so bleachers targeted ass muscle, that means stairs will as well. I would throw in walking lunges to help build you up then.
Well that may have been part of the problem. I did walking lunges, straight leg deads, leg press, and an odd weighted step back thing off of a squat machine that I dont know what its called. (It has the over the shoulder pads and a platform with a slight angle. I stand facing the apparatus and I alternate feet stepping off the back of the platform.)

And everything was 15+ reps.

So the glutes may have been worn out by the time I got to the bleachers and got over worked. Idk.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Here's a link to the crossfit website's exercise and demo page. If you scroll down to the JOURNAL PREVIEWS you will find 3 vids showing and discussing pistol squats. Titled Pistol 1,2, and 3. They are not easy..haha

CrossFit Exercises

Maybe jump rope and double under jump rope for the cardiovascular endurance without running and to strengthen the calves. As I think of it you will prolly switch from skipping a few steps when that gets tiring to hitting each step fast for a bit then back again.

I'm gonna have to see if they have anything like this here in DC. The more I think about it the more fun it sounds.

Last edited:

Maverick60

Awards
  • Established
Heres the link to races around the world. Im stoked about it, but I think its going to kick my ass. For this race (only 2 years old) the record is in the mid 6 minute range! 52 flights in 6.5 minutes... Nuts.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Sweet. I'm def looking into this!!

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
That's it. I'm going to do one. Just need to decide which one. I'll add this to my "to accomplish" list for the year. I also have the Marine Corps Marathon on their as well.

Maverick60

Awards
  • Established
No thanks on a marathon, a 10k is about all im up for. Haha.

Im doing this race and then a muddy buddy run in june I think. The muddy buddy is awesome too. You and a teammate pair up and one rides a bike for the first mile and the other runs. At the end of a mile, the one on the bike completes an obstacle or event, and the runner finds the bike and rides the next mile while the previous rider runs. Then at the end both teammates have to get through a mud pit together to finish. Its tons of fun.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I've done the Mud Run at Camp Pendleton, but not a Muddy Buddy.

Maverick60

Awards
  • Established
Yeah the mud run at pendleton is already sold out, so the muddy buddy is the second option. I was a volunteer at the mud run in 01 but Ive never ran it.