Keys + Workout to Great Calves

LoPips20

LoPips20

Awards
Alright guys, my natural body type has for me to have small calfs. Unproportional to the rest of my body. I'm not inexperienced to lifting at all, I kill them, but the damn things won't grow. Any advice is welcome

armygrunt82

armygrunt82

Awards
You can't fight genetics my friend, since you say you arent experienced to lifting, may I ask why you are isolating your calves at this early part of your lifting "career" Too many guys get caught up in isolation exercises as beginners when they should be doing compound lifts instead.

LoPips20

LoPips20

Awards
I said I wasn't inexperienced... meaning i've been lifting for years already.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
light weight, high reps IMO. If they don't grow after that, then it is most likely genetics. Especially if they are not proportioned to the rest of your body, unless you just don't work them out.

CellWarrior

CellWarrior

Awards
  • Established
Calves get a lot of work daily without going to the Gym. So you need to hit the with weights 2-3 times a week to start growth. What I have found is go with a weight that makes you fail around 20-25. You need to go heavy and get a Good Stretch at the bottom and good tight squeeze at the top. Don't bounce the weight nor have your knees locked. Have your legs bent just a little. Full Range of motion is important with Calf training.

SFW

SFW

Awards
Calves get a lot of work daily without going to the Gym. So you need to hit the with weights 2-3 times a week to start growth. What I have found is go with a weight that makes you fail around 20-25. You need to go heavy and get a Good Stretch at the bottom and good tight squeeze at the top. Don't bounce the weight nor have your knees locked. Have your legs bent just a little. Full Range of motion is important with Calf training.
Exactly what he said...

I also do light and heavy days to activate both types of fibers. I have bad genetics for calves as well but i have seen SOME growth since concentrating more on form and the squeeze at the top.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I see people ocking their knees and even raising their hips all the time.

Superdoad

Superdoad

Banned
Awards
Something about locking the knees. I have always understood that by bending your knees you take out the gastrocnemius muscles and that now you are only involving the soleus. That might be why your not seeing any growth because your only training the underlying muscle. (IMO) To involve the medial and lateral head of your calves the knees need to be at full extension. If anyone has other opinions Im happy to hear them.

Superdoad

Superdoad

Banned
Awards
This is because of its insertion above the knee on the femur. By having the knees bent it shorten the gastrocnemius muscle
(taking it out of the picture).

Attachments

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
if you have crappy genetics...... the only thing to do is have patience. Have all the variations of raises in your workout,... constantly change it up between high/low reps, etc, and find out what works. Ive always had small calves, and i am finally getting mass on them and seeing results after years of experimenting.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Look into DC calves, worked well for me.