P90x... Gonna get my ass kicked

Shai An

Shai An

Awards
Well I'm a little nervous about starting another log thread after wussing out of the Velocity Diet, but whatever. I decided I'm doing p90x, starting Jan 5th. I'll post before pics on Sunday the 4th. I'm so pumped about this. I'm trying to decide if I'll follow their diet plan, or just do a general healthy diet (low carb, high protein, no sugar or processed foods). Any thoughts?

ffmedic32

ffmedic32

Awards
Bunch of us at the firehouse bought P90X. It is not a joke, this sh*t hurts,LOL I have no desire to use them for strength. Now the cardio and flexibility are pretty sweet and the AB DVD is a killer.

ACSlayer

Awards
Good luck...looks challenging. I found out the guy pushing the system is way older than I would have thought based off of looks alone. My buddy is starting it soon, if you and he both have good results I may have to hop on board.

bigzach1234

bigzach1234

Awards
  • Established
i am really interested in this system.. it looks fantastic,, u should do really well from it if u follow it.. 6 days a week is alot of work but in 3 months if u follow this plan im sure u will love the results.. p90x is one of the few workout systems i would aactually buy from an infomercial... look into getting the iron gym as ur pull-up bar... no need to follow there diet routine... those are basic guidelines for those who dont know how to eat right.. taylor the diet to ur needs

Shai An

Shai An

Awards
Bunch of us at the firehouse bought P90X. It is not a joke, this sh*t hurts,LOL I have no desire to use them for strength. Now the cardio and flexibility are pretty sweet and the AB DVD is a killer.
Yea I don't really think of it as a size builder... It seems like more of an all-around fitness type of thing, which is what I want. I build muscle pretty easily, it's getting rid of the bodyfat that's difficult for me. I turn 30 in April, so the idea is to be ripped by then. Should be possible with this program.

If it goes well, I'll probably start lifting heavy this summer and do a cycle of H-Drol or something similar. During the p90x run, I'll be on a stack of Prime and PowerFULL. Can't wait.

Shai An

Shai An

Awards
i am really interested in this system.. it looks fantastic,, u should do really well from it if u follow it.. 6 days a week is alot of work but in 3 months if u follow this plan im sure u will love the results.. p90x is one of the few workout systems i would aactually buy from an infomercial... look into getting the iron gym as ur pull-up bar... no need to follow there diet routine... those are basic guidelines for those who dont know how to eat right.. taylor the diet to ur needs
Ha, I know what you mean about the infomercial thing. A couple times while I was on the treadmill at the Y, I stumbled across the infomercial, and couldn't help but to be sucked in! 60 min of high intensity working out is pretty hardcore though!

Shai An

Shai An

Awards
Well my camera's broken, so I'm not able to do a "before" pic. I'll just use the "before" pic from my failed V-Diet thread, which was about a month ago. (I can't post links or pics until I reach 50 posts, I'll edit this post when I reach that) I weighed 200 lbs in that pic, my current weight is 203; so I've got a little bigger gut now than in the pic.

Yesterday was the first day, which is chest and back. It KICKED MY ASS. Basically it's a bunch of pull-ups and push-ups, with some dumbell rows thrown in for good measure. All rapid-fire, back-to-back. The routine is 50 minutes long, I only lasted 30 min and had to quit. I thought I was gonna throw up. I can't believe how hard it is. Guys on the video are doing 25 and 30 pull-ups per set... I got 10 on the first set, then obviously it went downhill from there....

Today was "plyometrics", which I'd never heard of. It's basically alot of jumping around in place, squat jumps, leg raises, lunges, jump lunges, etc.... All with body weight. Once again, it's a 50 min session, I only made it 20 min. Man my lungs are OUT OF SHAPE!!!! I'm allowing myself to cut it short on this week's sessions just to get into the zone. Starting next week, it's full-on no matter what.

Diet-wise, I really blew the bottom out over the holidays. It feels great to be back on a strict diet.

I still have 1/2 a bottle of Hot-Rox leftover from the V-Diet, I'm trying to decide if I want to take them while doing p90x. It's such an intense cardio workout each session, I feel like my heart would explode with a stimulant like that... Anyone have any experience with cardio and thermogenics?

Ether

Awards
Hang in there it will get easier. I really like the workouts very high intensity for sure!

aquanutz

aquanutz

Awards
  • Established
I've posted a handful of times on here about my experiences with P90X. I absolutely love the program and have completed it more than once. I actually put on a few pounds of muscle and was definitely more built and cut than before. The most difficult part of the program is keeping motivated because once you do the first week you know what is in store for you afterwards... Also, plyo days are the worst, if you can make it through those, you can make it through anything.

Good luck man.

DGSky

DGSky

Awards
I'll be starting the P90X program later this week. Can't wait since I need the motivation of someone pushing me mentally while stressed and bummed out due to the economy hitting me hard.

After the initial run through the program I thought about adding a weighted vest and steadily increasing the weight. Thoughts?

aquanutz

aquanutz

Awards
  • Established
After the initial run through the program I thought about adding a weighted vest and steadily increasing the weight. Thoughts?
I thought about doing that same thing... Haven't done it yet though because I think it would be too hard. Do it on Plyo day! :D

DGSky

DGSky

Awards
I thought about doing that same thing... Haven't done it yet though because I think it would be too hard. Do it on Plyo day! :D
Well lets say you start at 200 lbs and end up losing 10 pounds which allows you to do more pullups, etc. Now after the program when you are in far better condition you add increments of 1-2 pounds on the vest. This should steadily increase strength and muscle gains all while keeping you in top GPP condition, don't you think?

I've also seen the trainers in the DVD's drop a weight to finish the exercise. Could you imagine doing that with a vest starting off with 10-20 vest and then dropping the vest, sort of like drop sets?

aquanutz

aquanutz

Awards
  • Established
Well lets say you start at 200 lbs and end up losing 10 pounds which allows you to do more pullups, etc. Now after the program when you are in far better condition you add increments of 1-2 pounds on the vest. This should steadily increase strength and muscle gains all while keeping you in top GPP condition, don't you think?

I've also seen the trainers in the DVD's drop a weight to finish the exercise. Could you imagine doing that with a vest starting off with 10-20 vest and then dropping the vest, sort of like drop sets?

I think it's a great idea.

I was doing Pullups with a 50lb dumbbell attached to me after my first round of P90X. Usually got around 8 reps or so out before I died.

DGSky

DGSky

Awards
I think it's a great idea.

I was doing Pullups with a 50lb dumbbell attached to me after my first round of P90X. Usually got around 8 reps or so out before I died.
Damn impressive!:thumbsup:

aquanutz

aquanutz

Awards
  • Established
Damn impressive!:thumbsup:
When I started I could hardly do 8 reps without any weight. I absolutely love the program. I bet you'll be able to do something similar once you complete it.

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
Well I'm a little nervous about starting another log thread after wussing out of the Velocity Diet, but whatever. I decided I'm doing p90x, starting Jan 5th. I'll post before pics on Sunday the 4th. I'm so pumped about this. I'm trying to decide if I'll follow their diet plan, or just do a general healthy diet (low carb, high protein, no sugar or processed foods). Any thoughts?
DO NOT try to diet if you plan on going ALL OUT with this program. This is what has made me fail at it THREE times. I would get through half of the second phase and just collapse.

Don't necessarily follow a calculated "big boy bulk" with this, but don't restrict yourself by any means. Eat a lot. Believe me, if you put 100% into every set, your body will tell you it needs it. I was just too damn dumb/determined to lose weight then that I shut it out and restricted my cals too much.

Eat a lot. Don't pile on the burgers. Instead, make things like lean proteins (chicken, steak, tuna, salmon, egg whites, etc), carbs (sweet potatoes, beans, corn, brown rice, moderate fruit (berries)), and fats (egg yolks, walnuts, flax seed, meat fats) your fuel. Nothing else is really necessary.

Their diet plan is HARD to follow. They don't give you a general way of eating. They give you 90 days worth of meals to eat. And A LOT of it is off the wall, like seared mahi with avocado sauce and rice pilaf with asparagus yada yada yada. If you want a big grocery bill and wanna spend all of your time in the kitchen, by all means. But basically, eat at maintenance levels to assess through the first phase, and then add foods in from there naturally. You'll need to most likely.

And as far as the exercises, I got to where I had to do weighted pullups/pushups. However, you don't have to do this every week. I tried to stay in the 8-10 rep range for pullups and not go above 15 reps for pushups. You don't have to do this. I found that when I weighted myself, sometimes I sacrificed form a bit for power. Be careful with that, and also, doing this can "burn you out" as well if you add too much weight too fast. There are a lot of sets each workout. Do one lower rep weighted/power week and one non-weighted form-focused week.

I may not be right about this. But this is just the approach I'll take the next time I try and hopefully complete the program.

Good luck. I'll be watching for sure.:head:

pantherdude63

pantherdude63

Awards
  • Established
Sub'd. Ive seen the infomercial and it looks good but its not a good fit for my situation atm. If you have good results I may have to try it out later in the year. Good luck!

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
DO NOT try to diet if you plan on going ALL OUT with this program. This is what has made me fail at it THREE times. I would get through half of the second phase and just collapse.

Don't necessarily follow a calculated "big boy bulk" with this, but don't restrict yourself by any means. Eat a lot. Believe me, if you put 100% into every set, your body will tell you it needs it. I was just too damn dumb/determined to lose weight then that I shut it out and restricted my cals too much.

Eat a lot. Don't pile on the burgers. Instead, make things like lean proteins (chicken, steak, tuna, salmon, egg whites, etc), carbs (sweet potatoes, beans, corn, brown rice, moderate fruit (berries)), and fats (egg yolks, walnuts, flax seed, meat fats) your fuel. Nothing else is really necessary.

Their diet plan is HARD to follow. They don't give you a general way of eating. They give you 90 days worth of meals to eat. And A LOT of it is off the wall, like seared mahi with avocado sauce and rice pilaf with asparagus yada yada yada. If you want a big grocery bill and wanna spend all of your time in the kitchen, by all means. But basically, eat at maintenance levels to assess through the first phase, and then add foods in from there naturally. You'll need to most likely.

And as far as the exercises, I got to where I had to do weighted pullups/pushups. However, you don't have to do this every week. I tried to stay in the 8-10 rep range for pullups and not go above 15 reps for pushups. You don't have to do this. I found that when I weighted myself, sometimes I sacrificed form a bit for power. Be careful with that, and also, doing this can "burn you out" as well if you add too much weight too fast. There are a lot of sets each workout. Do one lower rep weighted/power week and one non-weighted form-focused week. Remember, weighted or no, not every set has to be done to failure. That'll also burn you out.

I may not be right about this. But this is just the approach I'll take the next time I try and hopefully complete the program.

Shai An

Shai An

Awards
Wow, this thread suddenly got a lot of action!

Today was shoulders, bis and tris. I lasted 40 min this time (out of a 55 min set), so I guess it's getting better... For the last 8 months or so, I've been lifting heavy with 6 - 8 reps. This is such a different style, it's wearing me out! I do like it though. Another thing I'm having to get used to is working out at home. I def miss leaving the house and going to a specific place to work out, esp since I work from home.

Tomorrow is yoga, I half dread it, and half look forward to it... 90 min though?!!! I browsed through the dvd a couple days ago, and there was this jacked guy pooring sweat 20 min into it... That makes me nervous.

Shai An

Shai An

Awards
I'll be starting the P90X program later this week. Can't wait since I need the motivation of someone pushing me mentally while stressed and bummed out due to the economy hitting me hard.

Man.... I would've thought the same thing watching the videos, but trust me, when you actually try it, you'll be surprised out how hard it is. You do a complete workout, then you have to turn around and DO IT AGAIN!!!! Every session is that way... I guess it is possible to get to the level where you need to add weight, but for me that's a long way off!

Shai An

Shai An

Awards

And as far as the exercises, I got to where I had to do weighted pullups/pushups. However, you don't have to do this every week. I tried to stay in the 8-10 rep range for pullups and not go above 15 reps for pushups. You don't have to do this. I found that when I weighted myself, sometimes I sacrificed form a bit for power. Be careful with that, and also, doing this can "burn you out" as well if you add too much weight too fast. There are a lot of sets each workout. Do one lower rep weighted/power week and one non-weighted form-focused week. Remember, weighted or no, not every set has to be done to failure. That'll also burn you out.

Yea I didn't bother with their food program... They're all the same concept anyway.

Honestly man, just reading through your p90x log, and some of your statements in this paragraph... I think the reason you didn't last is because you were modifying the program. They designed it the way it is for a reason. All of the adding weight, going to failure, doing a "weighted/power week and a form-focused week"... That's not part of the p90x protocol. In fact he specifically says multiple times NOT to go to failure. He says work it until you feel the burn and it's a struggle, but NOT until you fail.

I'm not trying to call you out, but the program was designed the way it was for a reason. If going to failure is what worked best with this method of workout, then they would tell you to do it that way. I know it's easy to second-guess some of their methods, but I'm sure a LOT of time and research went into designing this routine. I say just follow it for 3 months as it's designed... And if you can make it through that, then mod away; by then you'll have a better idea of what each component of the program is accomplishing.

silverSurfer

silverSurfer

Awards
  • Established
I've completed the first part of the P90X classic program several times and my favorite day is Plyo day. I can make it through all the routines with extra effort, but it took me a while to get there. I can make it through by drinking my Watermelon Xtend with additional BCAA, Citruline Malate, Beta Alanine, and L-Leucine.

I don't like the super banana rolls or whatever they're called. Every time I do that my dogs jump on me and I get distracted - they think it is play time haha

On a more serious note, are you guys in a group and posting on the beachbody web site? If there are enough people here on AM and have P90X we should start a group log to keep each other engaged.

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
Silversurfer- I'd be down for that. I STILL vow to make it through all three phases. NEXT TIME I will not starve myself and I will not alter the program.

Shai An- You're completely right in what you've said to me. I not only didn't eat enough, but worked too hard. This put me into starvation mode. Progress stopped. I fatigued. I stopped. Not next tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiime.............hopefully:)

MMAMONSTER19

Awards
  • Established
wow never wouldve thought that P90X was really that extreme, subd to find out how it goes, and so is this program mainly to just help you lose weight and tone up, or to help build muscle tone up and cut weight? thats the part i never got just says ull be ripped in 90 days so anybody got an answer to that??

ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established
I bought the p90x a few months ago, and started. Those stretches are no joke either, my knee bothers me on some of them. My only issue was the time was too long for some of the routines. If I had a buddy or a group then the sessions won't feel so boring. But I will say, I have spent some money on other workout stuff....total waste, but p90x is worth the money. The meal plan is too hard to follow; I gave the book away. Once I am done with my bulk phase, I want to start doing the cardio, and the plyo routines. Good luck to all you guys.

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
MMAMONSTER, you'd have to have a "base" already to get 'ripped' from this program. Mostly, this program is geared towards weight loss, athleticism (bigtime), toning, and a bit of strength (mostly in the pullups).

My one and only beef with this program is that there is not one thing that hits the legs heavily whatsoever. The whole time I did leg day, I wanted to be doing some weighted squats/stiff deadlifts/good mornings/something!

BoSox36

BoSox36

Awards
  • Established
Would it be too much to use the p90x at home and then goto the gym and do your regular routine?

DGSky

DGSky

Awards
Would it be too much to use the p90x at home and then goto the gym and do your regular routine?
I would only consider doing so if going to the gym and lifting in the heavy rep range of 1-5 FIRST and then doing the P90X at least four hours later while working the same body parts. You better be eating a lot, too.

BoSox36

BoSox36

Awards
  • Established
Yes I would do the same muscle group on the same day. I was maybe thinking of doing the p90x before i goto the gym, and then doing my routine. I usually do lift heavy.

HappyDP

Awards
I am on day 46 or 47 of P90X. Definately a good program. You pretty much need to commit your life to it for 90 days though...the workouts are relatively long and every day.

Also, as mentioned above, if you follow the meal plan be prepared to spend a lot of time in the kitchen and a lot of money on groceries.

With that said, in 46 days I've lost about 15lbs on the scale (about 18lbs - 20lbs of fat) My strength has increased a fair bit and my overall athleticism has increase dramatically. There are a number of things in the program that I would just never have done before (read: yoga..but also a full workout of plyometrics) but am now converted. I still hate yoga but really do enjoy what it does for me.

silverSurfer

silverSurfer

Awards
  • Established
Shai An, any updates? I hope things are going good.

Manimalia, I'm thinking about starting P90X again during or after PCT - I'm on a cycle now.

BoSox36, you could replace the P90X weight lifting days with regular days at the gym. I don't know if you'd get the same results - P90X is intense. Whatever you do, and especially if you double up, don't cut into your diet too much - you'll only fatigue and start getting sick.

My favorite routine is Plyometrics - it feels like the best workout for me because it completely breaks the monotony of lifting weights.

lciaccio

lciaccio

Awards
  • Established
AB ripper X will F*%k ur day up man...i can only do about 10 reps of each while maintain g constant sets like they do in the vid. Its HARD WORK!

BiggerGeek

Awards
Last night I watched a little bit of p90x+ for the first time, just to see what it is all about. Yeah the workouts look challenging (what with the slow constant no stop tempo and all), but all I could think about was how much I hate that guy.

I just wanted to punch him in the face.... So instead I watch Enter the Kettlebell!: Strength Secret of the Soviet Supermen.

They guy in that was cool. He wasnt wearing spandex, and he didn't call his bicep a nugget, and he called me comrade at the beginning of each clip.

lciaccio

lciaccio

Awards
  • Established
yea he is a bit of a tool bag, however most of the video instructors are.

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
P90X is a good boot camp type program. It exposes you to enough things and gets you to a decent well-rounded fitness point where you can decide what to do for yourself after. I lost 30 lbs on P90X, went from 0 to about 12 chin-ups, about 20 or so push-ups to 100+. It's not great for bulking, but you can get some strength and a good core fitness level that will help you with other things for sure. Good luck! Just stick with it and you'll see results.

airram479

Awards
  • Established
It's not a joke--P90 is for real. I thought i was in shape till i started P90...talk about a slap in the face.

waynaferd

waynaferd

Awards
  • Established
I only do the stretching on my off days, and its starting to seem pretty lame. The good news is I can almost remember the whole routine so I won't have to watch/listen to him anymore. But I haven't bothered with the rest yet.

Jake Fires

Jake Fires

Awards
  • Established
ya p90x is tough, But uncle tony and the kids will get you goin.

"leave your ego at the door!"
ab ripper x is serious this program will give you tons of energy.