Young Lifter Advice

adrenaline89

adrenaline89

Awards
My much younger brother is going into his freshman year of high school. Today he asked me to take him to the high school gym- Im very proud. My dad has showed him all the basic lifts, and the kid has a good base, but now he needs a real program for the football season. Hes lean and lanky- but has definite muscular potential.

Any advice on what kind of program to put him on?
Im thinking basic Bench Squat Dead for sets of 5.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
If he is just getting into working out I would keep it basic as u suggested. I'm a bb myself but I always like to show kids some powerlifting stuff and bb stuff and see which they prefer. Some kids really take a liking to the PL world and some BB. Anyway once he gets the basics down find out what he likes then you'll know where to take it.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
My much younger brother is going into his freshman year of high school. Today he asked me to take him to the high school gym- Im very proud. My dad has showed him all the basic lifts, and the kid has a good base, but now he needs a real program for the football season. Hes lean and lanky- but has definite muscular potential.

Any advice on what kind of program to put him on?
Im thinking basic Bench Squat Dead for sets of 5.
for football, and the ability to use multiple muscle groups for maximum force on the field, compound lifts are the way to go.

squats/deads/bench will build a solid foundation, as well as the other compound moves - military press, dips, pull ups, etc. the most important one is clean and press, which will force almost every muscle in your body to work together to apply the most power possible.

remember sets of 4-6 are for strength, 8-12 are for mass, and design his workout accordingly :)