Getting the most out of machines/cables

thething86

Awards
Hey all,
When I go back to college I might not have access to our regular gym due to time constraints. But we have a workout room in our apartment with a cable machine and a leg press machine, chest press/incline/shoulder press machine and a few other things.

My question is, if I can't get to the regular gym for free weights, how can I make the most out of the cables and machines in my apartment?

Thanks

jtp217

jtp217

Awards
If you are wanting growth then your probably not gonna get to much out of the cables/machines. If you know that for a week or two you won't get to a real gym then you can do some decent maintenance workouts but I would try like hell to get someplace with free weights as often as possible.

soseg

soseg

Awards
  • Established
no gym? i went to western michigan last year for a semester (on exchange from australia)... man that **** was fkn huge... massive gym... and it was just a college... the gym was fkn bigger than my gym here in australia... which is the biggest gym in the south-eastern suburbs of my city metro area... crazy ****

i thought every college would have something... unless theres some real small ones out there?

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
no gym? i went to western michigan last year for a semester (on exchange from australia)... man that **** was fkn huge... massive gym... and it was just a college... the gym was fkn bigger than my gym here in australia... which is the biggest gym in the south-eastern suburbs of my city metro area... crazy ****

i thought every college would have something... unless theres some real small ones out there?
You will find that at colleges without sports teams or an athletic dept.

thething86

Awards
yea we have a gym like that but i live off campus and have to drive or walk to it, and i'm going to be REALLY short on time next quarter because of my class load, but we'll see

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
from what i've read about machines vs. free weights, ppl say free weights are better for the stabalizer muscles and machines can work the main muscle pretty good, one book even said some pro bodybuilders use machines pre contest to gain extra bulk to the bigger part of each respective muscle, i'd just concentrate on negatives and speeds at which i was doing each rep

thething86

Awards
yea thanks guys...last night I did an all cable workout at my gym in my hometown and those things make you burn! i got a pretty good workout i must say...but i know there is no replacing free weights...its just nice to know that it's not THAT bad