Hip Flexors

1. Registered User

Hip Flexors

Back when I was a lad, I played football and it consumed my life. Routes in the mornings, film at lunch and practice after school. Now as I look back to then, when I knew relatively little about training, I realize one of the biggest hindrances I had for my speed was hip flexors. Almost the entire group of muscle that is the hip flexor was underdeveloped. I wondered why I couldnt get lower than a 4.5 and it finally hit me the other day.

Now those days are gone but I guess Id like to train them now, may as well. Im just wondering...well frankly, how to go about that? There isnt a common hip flexor exercise besides stuff like lunges and just running. I mean, some form of isolation.

Anyone care to help me out? I mean, this is also just about discussion as well.

2. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  200 lbs.

Believe it or not, anchored situps with or without weights work the hip flexors and some quads as well. Here is a link, hope it helps
    http://www.myfit.ca/exercisedatabase...e=Hip%20Flexor
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  285 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasTitan View Post
    Back when I was a lad, I played football and it consumed my life. Routes in the mornings, film at lunch and practice after school. Now as I look back to then, when I knew relatively little about training, I realize one of the biggest hindrances I had for my speed was hip flexors. Almost the entire group of muscle that is the hip flexor was underdeveloped. I wondered why I couldnt get lower than a 4.5 and it finally hit me the other day.

Now those days are gone but I guess Id like to train them now, may as well. Im just wondering...well frankly, how to go about that? There isnt a common hip flexor exercise besides stuff like lunges and just running. I mean, some form of isolation.

Anyone care to help me out? I mean, this is also just about discussion as well.
    Do you have cables at your gym? If you do you can hook the cable to your foot and do a kicking motion with the knee straight. Rubber bands can also be used if you don't have access to cables.

Most gyms also have a hip flexor machine. Its kind of like a leg curl but taller. You put the pad on a ben knee and lift upward flexing the hip.

Sprints also work the hip flexors pretty well.
    •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Lower Back Pump problems is it hip flexors?
    By brownstown89 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-30-2010, 01:21 PM
  2. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-08-2007, 02:33 PM