Hip Flexors

1. Hip Flexors

Back when I was a lad, I played football and it consumed my life. Routes in the mornings, film at lunch and practice after school. Now as I look back to then, when I knew relatively little about training, I realize one of the biggest hindrances I had for my speed was hip flexors. Almost the entire group of muscle that is the hip flexor was underdeveloped. I wondered why I couldnt get lower than a 4.5 and it finally hit me the other day.

Now those days are gone but I guess Id like to train them now, may as well. Im just wondering...well frankly, how to go about that? There isnt a common hip flexor exercise besides stuff like lunges and just running. I mean, some form of isolation.

Anyone care to help me out? I mean, this is also just about discussion as well.

2. Believe it or not, anchored situps with or without weights work the hip flexors and some quads as well. Here is a link, hope it helps
    http://www.myfit.ca/exercisedatabase...e=Hip%20Flexor

3. Quote Originally Posted by TexasTitan View Post
    Back when I was a lad, I played football and it consumed my life. Routes in the mornings, film at lunch and practice after school. Now as I look back to then, when I knew relatively little about training, I realize one of the biggest hindrances I had for my speed was hip flexors. Almost the entire group of muscle that is the hip flexor was underdeveloped. I wondered why I couldnt get lower than a 4.5 and it finally hit me the other day.

Now those days are gone but I guess Id like to train them now, may as well. Im just wondering...well frankly, how to go about that? There isnt a common hip flexor exercise besides stuff like lunges and just running. I mean, some form of isolation.

Anyone care to help me out? I mean, this is also just about discussion as well.
    Do you have cables at your gym? If you do you can hook the cable to your foot and do a kicking motion with the knee straight. Rubber bands can also be used if you don't have access to cables.

Most gyms also have a hip flexor machine. Its kind of like a leg curl but taller. You put the pad on a ben knee and lift upward flexing the hip.

Sprints also work the hip flexors pretty well.
    •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Lower Back Pump problems is it hip flexors?
    By brownstown89 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-30-2010, 02:21 PM
  2. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-08-2007, 03:33 PM