My seal training routine

S

someguy1984

Awards
I just made a little training routine for myself until April. I'm hoping this will get me doing a lot of push ups and get me lean with a nice cut ab look...I'm tired of having that little gut on my lower abdominal. I'm 5'7 150

Here is my workout schedule for the week. I just made a thread and got a lot of helpful information. I put this together.

Monday

Chest/Back

Push ups - 3 sets until fail
Incline flys - 3 sets 10 reps. (35 or 40lbs in each hand)
Decline dumbbell press - 3 sets 10 reps

Barbell bent over row - 3 sets 10 reps
Shrugs - 3 sets 10 reps
Seated cable row - 3 sets 10 reps

Tuesday

Push/legs

Full squats 3 sets 10 reps (Heavy)
Deadlifts - 3 sets 10 reps
Leg press 3 sets 10 reps
Good mornings - 3 sets 10 reps
Seated calf raises

About 2 different bicep exercises...

Wednesday

Upper Vertical

Pull/Lats

Pull ups 3 sets to fail
Lat pull downs - 3 sets 10 reps
Side lat raises. (holding a 25lb weight)

Push/shoulder

Dumbbell press - 3 sets 10 reps
Standing barbell press - 3 sets 10 reps
Abs

Thursday

HIIT cardio, no longer than 20mins
Abs

Friday

Chest/Triceps

Push ups - 3 sets to fail
Incline flys - 3 sets to 10 reps
Decline dumbell press 3 sets to 10 reps

About three different tricep exercises.

Saturday

HIIT cardio, no more than 20mins.
Abs

Sunday OFF

What do you think? Personally, i don't think I'm over killing chest, since I'm doing push ups...

But, with this routine can i expect my chest to still grow? I do want people to notice i workout, etc...I want to get lean and have nice abs. I know this will help push ups...

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
add in clean and press on whatever day seems to work for you.

TexasTitan

TexasTitan

Awards
  • Established
Im confused, are you trying to be a SEAL or do you believe this is anything like a SEAL training regimen or what.

ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established
Not to rag on him, but I thought the same thing in reference to whether he was trying to join the seals. I know when I was prepping for SFAS, the routine looked nothing like that. Granted SEAL school is probably....in fact it is, you would surely need a more intense training routine than that.

TexasTitan

TexasTitan

Awards
  • Established
Not to rag on him, but I thought the same thing in reference to whether he was trying to join the seals. I know when I was prepping for SFAS, the routine looked nothing like that. Granted SEAL school is probably....in fact it is, you would surely need a more intense training routine than that.
I wanted to be a SEAL and trained for a long while. My childhood friend joined and went through BUD/S. I found out I have a color deficiency, basically being halfassed colorblind which prevents me from almost any job in the SOF community. But anyways, based on...every single thing I know about BUD/S, that is absolutely not what you should be doing to train for it.

ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established
I wanted to be a SEAL and trained for a long while. My childhood friend joined and went through BUD/S. I found out I have a color deficiency, basically being halfassed colorblind which prevents me from almost any job in the SOF community. But anyways, based on...every single thing I know about BUD/S, that is absolutely not what you should be doing to train for it.
2x agree with you there. When I was prepping for SFAS, in the packet they gave me, there was routine in there for me to use. If he is in fact trying to be a SEAL, they may do the same thing and provide a routine. I used the one they gave me, along with some crossfit training as well. I know I had a LOT of swimming, you don't know your endurance level, till you do some swimming....total body workout. I know for SEAL, you gonna need tons of pushup, pullups, and running. He should watch the BUDS series they sometimes show on the Military channel.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
If you wanna go into sof you should be in the gym maybe once or twice a week. Work on pushups, pullups core strength, rope climbing, swimming, medium to long distance running and above all else, cross country rucking.

You can find a preparatory SFAS training workong on the sfas selection website.

D3vildog

D3vildog

Awards
  • Established
Hmm... i like the looks of this routine. (im a newb to the serious BB'n, so i dont have much advice to hand out) i may borrow it and use the routine till i can get into a gym. :D

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
(Only hard workout days are listed here. Make up your own workouts on your "easy" days.)

Day 1: See what you can do. Do the best you can do.

(a) APFT (maximum performance in all events, see what you can do).

(b) One hundred-meter swim (nonstop, any stroke, do not touch the side or bottom of the pool).

(c) Force march with 30-pound rucksack, 3 miles in 45 minutes (along road) or 1 hour if cross-country. (Wear well broken-in boots with thick socks.)

Day 2:

(a) Three sets of push-ups (maximum repetitions in one-half minute period).

(b) 3-mile run (moderate 8 to 9 minute mile pace).

(c) Rope climb or three sets of pull-ups (as many as you can do).

(d) Forced march with 30-pound rucksack, 5 miles in 1 hour and 15 minutes (along a road) or 1 hour and 40 minutes (cross-country).

Day 3: Forced march with 30-pound rucksack, 5 miles in 1 hour and 15 minutes (along the road) or 1 hour and 40 minutes (cross-country).

Week 2:

Day 1: Repeat of day 3, week 1 (forced march), extend distance to 8 miles with 35-pound rucksack in 2 hours (along a road) or 2 hours and 40 minutes (cross-country).

Day 2:

(a) Three sets of push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups (maximum repetitions in 35-second period three times).

(b) Run 5 miles (moderate 8 to 9 minute mile pace).

(c) Three sets of squats with 35-pound rucksack (50 each set). Go down only to the point where the upper and lower leg forms a 90-degree bend at knee.

Day 3: Forced march with 35-pound rucksack, 10 miles in 3 hours (along a road) or 4 hours (cross-country).

Week 3:

Day 1:

(a) Four sets of push-ups, pull-ups, and sit-ups (maximum repetitions in 40-second period).

(b) Run 4 miles (fast to moderate 7 to 8 minute mile pace.)

(c) Four sets of squats with 40-pound rucksack.

Day 2: Forced march 12 miles with 40-pound rucksack in 4 hours (along a road) or 4 hours and 40 minutes (cross-country).

Day 3:

(a) Four sets of push-ups, sit-ups, pull-ups (maximum repetitions in 45-second period.)

(b) Run 6 miles (fast to moderate 7 to 8 minute pace).

(c) Four sets of squats with 40-pound rucksack.

Week 4:

Day 1: Forced march 14 miles with 50-pound rucksack in 4 hours (along a road) or 4 hours and 40 minutes (cross-country).

Day 2:

(a) Four sets of push-ups, sit-ups, and pull-ups(maximum repetitions in 1-minute period).

(b) Run 6 miles (fast to moderate 7 to 8 minute mile pace).

(c) Four sets of squats with 50-pound rucksack.

Day 3: Forced march 18 miles with 50-pound rucksack in 4 hours and 45 minutes (along a road) or 6 hours (cross-country).

Week 5:

Day 1:

(a) Run 3 miles (fast 6 to 7 minute mile pace).

(b) Five hundred-meter swim (nonstop, any stroke, but not on your back).

Day 2: APFT. You should be able to achieve a score of at least 240 (minimum of 70 points in any one event) in the 17 to 21 year age limit. If not, workout harder.

Day 3: Forced march 18 miles with 50-pound rucksack in 4 hours and 30 minutes (along a road) or 6 hours (cross-country).

ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established
Good post Rugger. How is that quest to join the military coming? Hey how come you don't have a "Rep" icon?

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
Good post Rugger. How is that quest to join the military coming? Hey how come you don't have a "Rep" icon?
Who do you think I"m a rep for?! LOL

The process is just in it's infancy. I've met with a recruiter a couple times and am going to get my packet rolling after the new year.

ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established
I wanted give you some rep points, but the icon to click for that, is not there. it is there now in your last post, but not there for your prior post.

O

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Who do you think I"m a rep for?! LOL

The process is just in it's infancy. I've met with a recruiter a couple times and am going to get my packet rolling after the new year.
Lucky you!

I have been informed that I cannot join the Military, well at least Naval Special Warfare....After 5 years of anticipation....rejection.....:drunk:

You're going Army right?

TexasTitan

TexasTitan

Awards
  • Established
Dont let yourself by bound by numbers. Just do enough pushups, bodyweight squats, pullups etc etc to where you cant do one more at the end of the day. And run as fast and long as you can, no matter what you do, it wont be enough to be "ready."

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
Lucky you!

I have been informed that I cannot join the Military, well at least Naval Special Warfare....After 5 years of anticipation....rejection.....:drunk:

You're going Army right?
That's the plan as of now. I will also be applying to the Marine Corps, but I think the job prospects within the two services leave me leaning toward the Army.

ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established
Dont let yourself by bound by numbers. Just do enough pushups, bodyweight squats, pullups etc etc to where you cant do one more at the end of the day. And run as fast and long as you can, no matter what you do, it wont be enough to be "ready."
This is true, because you won't know how far you have to run, or how many push ups or pull ups you need to do. All they say is go, and then they stop when THEY get tired or feel you have had enough. I remember during SFAS when it was a run or ruck day, they never told us how far to run to march, they just said go, and off we went. For the PT test, we never heard them count our reps or called our times for the run. The idea is to keep the limit unknown so you would not measure yourself. They figure if you knew how far you had to go or how many reps you need, you would pace yourself and would not give your all (best) from start to finish. But, I think the furthest we ran was about 10 miles, and our last road march was about 30 miles. One thing I can say, you need to be able to at least run at a 7 min mile pace.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
This is true, because you won't know how far you have to run, or how many push ups or pull ups you need to do. All they say is go, and then they stop when THEY get tired or feel you have had enough. I remember during SFAS when it was a run or ruck day, they never told us how far to run to march, they just said go, and off we went. For the PT test, we never heard them count our reps or called our times for the run. The idea is to keep the limit unknown so you would not measure yourself. They figure if you knew how far you had to go or how many reps you need, you would pace yourself and would not give your all (best) from start to finish. But, I think the furthest we ran was about 10 miles, and our last road march was about 30 miles. One thing I can say, you need to be able to at least run at a 7 min mile pace.
I remember hearing about that. Some guys I've talked to say the instructors are calm and quiet almost all the time and like you said, never count reps, time or let guys know when the evolution will be over. Kind of like "We aren't going to moto you just to see how moto you really are" type of thing I guess.

When you went through did you have to do the STAR? What was that like? Did you make it to Q?

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The answers to his quest IMO, be it BUD/S or just lean abs...

http://crossfit.com/

and

crossfitendurance.com/

and

the Zone

Rugger, I know you're prolly ready to punch the computer screen, but there is a reason why all the team guys and Recon bubba's swear by it.

In fact there is a pic of some SOF's on the front page right now

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
The answers to his quest IMO, be it BUD/S or just lean abs...

Welcome to CrossFit: Forging Elite Fitness

and

crossfitendurance.com/

and

the Zone

Rugger, I know you're prolly ready to punch the computer screen, but there is a reason why all the team guys and Recon bubba's swear by it.

In fact there is a pic of some SOF's on the front page right now

I got nothing against crossfit ;)
In fact I wish there was a gym near me.
Even crossfit endurance, though, doesn't seem to be suited for the type of endurance that buds or sfas would require.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
For some reason I thought you hated crossfit...hmm must have mixed you up with someone else on here. :think:

Mixing the main crossfit page with crossfit endurance page is about as best your gonna get. This is coming straight from Seal's, Recon Corpsman, Recon Marines, EOD, and Navy Divers and an AF PJ. ;)

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
For some reason I thought you hated crossfit...hmm must have mixed you up with someone else on here. :think:

Mixing the main crossfit page with crossfit endurance page is about as best your gonna get. This is coming straight from Seal's, Recon Corpsman, Recon Marines, EOD, and Navy Divers and an AF PJ. ;)
Well good thing I'm not tryin to be any of them! :icon_lol:

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
you were looking at officer packages aren't you?

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
what field?

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well I'd say go Marines! Of course I'm a bit biased on that as well.