Too stupid to be kidding

pantherdude63

pantherdude63

Awards
  • Established
Ok, well im in high school and play football and during the season me and a buddy of mine followed dc training and liked it. Now that we're into the off season my coach has implemented a workout and I would like to hear some opinions on it and try to get some help on making it somewhat bearable.

We're working off of percentages of maxes and it goes something like this: (rep/set and % change weekly)

Monday:
Squat and powerclean 3x10 at 65%
leg extensions
leg curls
r.d.l.'s
some ab workout
and after every workout we're forced to do a pretty good amount of conditioning (way too much imo because are school does powerlifting and we're beginning that very soon)

Tue:
Flat bb bench and incline bb bench 3x10 at 65%
military press
tricep work (This is one of the only muscle groups i can do dc on)
Curls occasionally

Wed: Same as monday

Thur: Same as Tue.

Next week

Mon:
Front squat and deadlift same as week before basically (and its really hard to front squat 65% of your squat max lol)
The other lifts are basically the same

Tue:
Close grip bench (I do jm presses) and incline bench (same % as week before)
Same on other lifts

Wed: Same as monday

Thur: Same as tue

And on friday he wants us to set a new p.r. on any lift

Like I said the rep/set changes and some ex are 3x8 (higher %) eventually working to a 5x5 im sure at around 80 to 85%

I just feel like im not getting enough recovery time and just not that great of a program, IS IT BAD ENOUGH THAT I SHOULD SAY SOMETHING OR CHEAT BACK TO DC? I like the coach but I just dont know about this program. Any opinions?

Im also taking max out and im sure the recovery will be killing me in a week or so, do I need added recovery time because of this product?

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
your coach is insane. your legs can recover in 48 hours when you do ONE leg exercise, and not to failure (5x5). there's no way you can do that volume on monday and recover for wednesday's workout. IMO.

i would switch back to whatever works for you. if its DC, then keep doing it. i would add a set of clean and press to your DC training, as this helps your muscles work together, which is very important to football.

you could also show him that you are DC training, and you are already working out your whole body twice a week. explain it works off constant progression and works better for you by forcing you to work harder every week. see if you can explain it in such a way that he'll support your DC training...

Esox Express

Esox Express

Awards
  • Established
That sounds like what our football coach did while I was in high school. Our cards had two sides: upper and lower body.

Lower was:
Squat (either 4x6 or 4x10, rotate every other wrokout)
Hang cleans (4x8)
leg curls (3x8)
deadlifts (3x8)
bicep curls (3x8)
ab workout

Upper:
Bench (4x6 or 4x10)
skull crushers (3x8)
incline bench (3x8)
Jammer (3x8)
Dips (2sets till failure)
towel pulls (2 sets till failure)

also High Intensity conditioning before lifting twice a week.

Some kids were lifting legs 3 days a week with HIIT on their upper body days. They didn't know any better.

I remember going in my freshman year not being able to walk cuz I was so sore and our coach would just say "You gotta be tough and work through that soreness"!!!!! So i ended up doing 4x5 on squat with my legs as sore as they've ever been. I just took his word for it, I didn't know any better.

That being said, I still got some crazy good gains with a shitty diet. I wonder how much better they could have been if I knew what I was doing. It was crazy though, seeing my bench go up by 5 pounds every week for like two years straight.

CleetusVanDam

CleetusVanDam

Awards
  • Established
if you truly carfe about training for football, then you have to train sport specific, dc is not sport specific and generates no explosive white muscle fiber growth. While the program your coach haas you doing is not a great program by any means, DC'ing your way through the offseason would be a TERRIBLE mistake.

panther77

panther77

Awards
  • Established
how do you figure its a "TERRIBLE" mistake?

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
That sounds like what our football coach did while I was in high school. Our cards had two sides: upper and lower body.

I remember going in my freshman year not being able to walk cuz I was so sore and our coach would just say "You gotta be tough and work through that soreness"!!!!! So i ended up doing 4x5 on squat with my legs as sore as they've ever been. I just took his word for it, I didn't know any better.
that says it all IMO.

pantherdude63

pantherdude63

Awards
  • Established
if you truly carfe about training for football, then you have to train sport specific, dc is not sport specific and generates no explosive white muscle fiber growth. While the program your coach haas you doing is not a great program by any means, DC'ing your way through the offseason would be a TERRIBLE mistake.
Im still wanting to know why it would be such a devastating mistake. We did it through football season and increased strength. Im not going to college to play football so is it really that big of a deal? And what workout would you recommend?

Esox Express

Esox Express

Awards
  • Established
Im still wanting to know why it would be such a devastating mistake. We did it through football season and increased strength. Im not going to college to play football so is it really that big of a deal? And what workout would you recommend?
Well here's what I think he meant: The DC method will be great for putting on some strength and mass, but you should also be incorporating more sport specific lifts to develop speed and explosiveness, like cleans, snatch, push jerk, jammer, etc. I wouldn't go so far as to call it a "TERRIBLE" mistake, because you will still see some gains, but you could definitely benefit from some explosive lifts and plyometrics.

I've never used the DC method myself, but it seems like it wouldn't be the system you would want to use for explosive lifts. If you want to keep doing DC go ahead with your static lifts (bench, squat, curls etc.) but adding in some cleans/snatch/push jerk under a normal system (4x8, 4x6, 3x10..etc.) would drastically help your athletic performance.

And don't forget agility drills and plyometrics.

bigzach1234

bigzach1234

Awards
  • Established
reps man^^^ exactly what i was thinking.. sports specific moves... working on explosive strength.. i used to love doing jump squats after regular squats when my legs were fatigued..

84bandit

thats what our football coach runs, probably explains why we never win.

its legs, chest, legs, chest

not even upper body, just bench, incline and closegrip

and then legs is squat, pwerclean and rdls(with just the bar)

no deads, shoulders, back, nothin. dumb as crap

panther77

panther77

Awards
  • Established
damn bro, i feel for you... i thought we had it bad lol

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
Well here's what I think he meant: The DC method will be great for putting on some strength and mass, but you should also be incorporating more sport specific lifts to develop speed and explosiveness, like cleans, snatch, push jerk, jammer, etc. I wouldn't go so far as to call it a "TERRIBLE" mistake, because you will still see some gains, but you could definitely benefit from some explosive lifts and plyometrics.

I've never used the DC method myself, but it seems like it wouldn't be the system you would want to use for explosive lifts. If you want to keep doing DC go ahead with your static lifts (bench, squat, curls etc.) but adding in some cleans/snatch/push jerk under a normal system (4x8, 4x6, 3x10..etc.) would drastically help your athletic performance.

And don't forget agility drills and plyometrics.
i did mention to add clean and press. perhaps i should have made it more obvious, as you have. reps for clarifying.

Esox Express

Esox Express

Awards
  • Established
i did mention to add clean and press. perhaps i should have made it more obvious, as you have. reps for clarifying.
I completely agree with what you said..... I was clarifying what CletusVanDam said in Post #4 when he called DC a "TERRIBLE mistake", which it is not.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
I completely agree with what you said..... I was clarifying what CletusVanDam said in Post #4 when he called DC a "TERRIBLE mistake", which it is not.
you've succeeded in doing that. anything that allows you to use multiple muscles, helps you apply that same force, again multiple muscles, on the field and to your opponents. any coach/player that says otherwise is doing themselves a disservice.

Bravoboy

Bravoboy

Awards
  • Established
i probably wouldn't advise DC training for football. It's not that it's bad but you really should be doing great explosive stuff for the offseason. Cleans. w/high pulls. adjusting your weight and sets. piss on shoulder press. throw those in clean and press. Squat and get heavy bro. It's all about strength and explosiveness. Seems more like DC training would be on our wednesday or our day where we miss a day during the week to just catch up and hit most body parts. Football doesn't have much to do with high reps. that's all done in the agility of the sport. tires, dots, ropes, cones, sprints etc... cardio shape. then brute explosive strength. don't forget the hip flexors and abs. that makes for some explosive contact.

pantherdude63

pantherdude63

Awards
  • Established
I was planning on adding in all these things but it doesnt matter anyway because I doubt that its going to be possible to do anything but the coaches workout. So we'll see I guess, cant wait for the max out to take full effect with a split like this and a fairly high amount of cardio every day. Should be super duper fun...not!lol Thanks for the help guys.