Anatomical Adaptation

1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'3"  125 lbs.
    Answers

Anatomical Adaptation

Hey Everyone,

I'm totally new to this forum -- though I'm not totally new to fitness.

Recently I've hit a wall with my training and while I am taking the week off to regenerate and allow my body to rest I've been really into a book I just purchased titled Serious Strength Training.

I really like the idea of mapping out an entire Macrocycle for a few months to really get into tracking my training. The book mentions starting with the Anatomical Adaptation Phase (lasting about 6 weeks) in order to "warm-up" the body, tendons and ligaments especially, for greater weight and intensity to come. The phase is done by splitting the work outs into three sets of circuits of 6-9 exercises or "stations" and performing the entire work out (of the 6-9 exercises) 2-3 times per week. During each circuit they advise to just perform one set before moving onto the next station. They also suggest about 3 sets per "station" and anywhere between 15-30 reps per set, keeping to loads light about 40% of 1RM and progressing to 60% 1RM towards the end of the microcycle.

If any of you are familiar, or perhaps are more knowledgeable than I, I have a few questions regarding this:

Firstly -- If I plan on performing 3 sessions of AA per week should I focus on splitting body parts or should I be doing full body every time?

Secondly -- Where and when should I add in cardio. Regardless I always do a half-mile warm up (since that is how long it takes me to warm my body up and get my HR going) but should I be adding cardio as separate stations during the work out or adding them at the end of each circuit or should I save it towards the end of the work out.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by TheRockShow View Post
    Firstly -- If I plan on performing 3 sessions of AA per week should I focus on splitting body parts or should I be doing full body every time?

Secondly -- Where and when should I add in cardio. Regardless I always do a half-mile warm up (since that is how long it takes me to warm my body up and get my HR going) but should I be adding cardio as separate stations during the work out or adding them at the end of each circuit or should I save it towards the end of the work out.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    firstly, i would do total body every time, but it takes awhile to be able to do total body 3x per week.

secondly, if you're 5'3" and 125, i would limit my cardio to 10 minutes per day - enough to get the cardiovascular benefits, while still low enough to keep you from chewing through calories. i assume you're bulking

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-15-2011, 05:02 PM