work out 2x a day

doyoudo911

Awards
i was wondering if u could work out 2x a day....exapmle
i was doing back and shoulders and was too tired to do biceps...can i go back later and do biceps?

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
search it here on the forums man. I'm doing two-a-days and love 'em, but I do full body routines.

This is an awesome thread on 2/days, it's in italian, but the actual workouts and methodology are described in english:
http://www.bodybuildingitalia.it/forum/showthread.php?p=104329

Usually with 2/days you either work the same bodypart twice or do one workout lower body and the other upper body.

doyoudo911

Awards
Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
yeah, like I said the workouts and methodologies are posted in English. But, if you look at the posts where the members actually converse, it's all in Italian. It's good info though! :)

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
depends, what do you wanna do? You could run 3 or 4 day splits, or do an upper/lower split 3days/week or full body routines 3 or 4 days a week.

Edit: also depends on your experience level with lifting, the amount of time you can dedicate to your training, the total stress in your life, your nutrition, sleep and other activities.

bslick69b

bslick69b

Awards
  • Established
i was wondering if u could work out 2x a day....exapmle
i was doing back and shoulders and was too tired to do biceps...can i go back later and do biceps?
two a days is great,but be careful you dont overtrain and put your body in a state of catabolism,try to get some sleep in between your two w/o's.imo!

pavb10

pavb10

Awards
  • Established
oh never mind i thought u meant everyday...In the summer in preperation for football i workout 17 or so times a week including running lifting and route running. Out of the summer i workout 12 or so times a week. I thought he meant everyday which would be crazy. I dunno why u would have to lift twice in a dfay tho

theBIGcactus

theBIGcactus

Awards
  • Established
oh never mind i thought u meant everyday...In the summer in preperation for football i workout 17 or so times a week including running lifting and route running. Out of the summer i workout 12 or so times a week. I thought he meant everyday which would be crazy. I dunno why u would have to lift twice in a dfay tho
me either

theBIGcactus

theBIGcactus

Awards
  • Established
You certainly don't have to.

It has it's benefits - faster hypertrophy, faster strength gains, lightning quick recovery, being able to eat massive amounts of food...
lol who wouldnt want to be able to eat MORE, lol I eat so much compared to most people its great lifting weights.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I might try this over the holidays and into January. I normally do full body routines, but if I can divide them into two sessions in the same day, that might work nicely. Can hit each portion of the workout with equal intensity.. My test is high right now so it would work well I think. I dunno about being natural and trying it though..too possible to overtrain.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I might try this over the holidays and into January. I normally do full body routines, but if I can divide them into two sessions in the same day, that might work nicely. Can hit each portion of the workout with equal intensity.. My test is high right now so it would work well I think. I dunno about being natural and trying it though..too possible to overtrain.
You can totally do it naturally, especially if you're just splitting up one routine into two. Just take into account another workout for your daily caloric needs, remembering that you want to restore glycogen asap after your morning session cuz you'll be lifting again that night, eat a ton of antioxidants, veggies and generally everything. I also recommend a LOT of VitC, great for suppressing Cortisol at higher doses and cheaper than phosphatidylserine.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I remember listening to an episode on Superhuman radio where they discussed some athletes (German or Russian perhaps) back in the 90's that used a program where they did short workouts, but I think it was like 2x a day with atleast 6 hours inbetween. Worked for them, can't remember the details.

From what I've read, I recall you should do the heavier lifting in the 1st session, and lower weight/higher reps in the 2nd session. Re: Vit C, too much at once can be pro-oxidant.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You don't take a severe dose all at once, you take a gram or 2 several times over the course of the day. Thanks, though! :)

But you hit the nail on the head with your workout suggestions - 6hrs between routines at least (more being definitely better), and heavier weight/lower volume in the AM and higher volume in the PM.

However, I have also read of doing total body splits for two-a-days. I.E.: working legs in the morning and upper body in the evening. Haven't tried that though so can't comment on it's efficacy.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
You can totally do it naturally, especially if you're just splitting up one routine into two. Just take into account another workout for your daily caloric needs, remembering that you want to restore glycogen asap after your morning session cuz you'll be lifting again that night, eat a ton of antioxidants, veggies and generally everything. I also recommend a LOT of VitC, great for suppressing Cortisol at higher doses and cheaper than phosphatidylserine.

Yeah I hear what you're saying, but I think it would definitely be a stronger hit to the CNS if the total intensity of the two workouts is greater than 1 combined, but yeah..definitely possible, just gotta be on top of your game! My typical full body workouts start off intense and end with me being ready to fall over..I don't like moderate workouts...so this would be perfect!

I'm also a CKD'er though. I prefer it that way to TKD..I don't like carbs around my workouts..or very much in general :D

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Low carbs would make two-a-days real hard for me. No way would I try it. But I cease to function without some carbohydrates in my system.

And I whole-heartedly agree with you about not liking moderate workouts. If it's not intense and leaves you drained, sweaty and sore, you're not doing it right!

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Full body workouts are great for low carb people. When in ketosis, you have less muscle endurance. Most fullbody routines are high weight, low # of sets per group per day, so that means less muscle endurance is needed. Overall stamina and energy IS needed, but that's supplied through burning fat for fuel...it's just the muscle lacks the glycogen needed for a high number of sets, but it will be fine when splitting the normal sets over 3 weekly sessions. I guess it also depends on what you are training for, strength or hypertrophy.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I always do full body routines and my numbers plummet when I'm low-carbing.

If you're accustomed to that, however, I could see you having some success with two-a-days provided you do keep sets real low.

If you try it, let me know how it goes, I'd definitely be interested!

CleetusVanDam

CleetusVanDam

Awards
  • Established
It all depends on the split, intensity,and volume of your workouts, also nutrition plays a huge role in this. Once a year, the first two weeks of July, i train twice aday, then take a week off, just something i do to shock the system. Your goals also play a factor in this decision..there is no clear cut answer.