High-Volume Lee Priest Routine

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. example of my leg routine:

squats 3 sets of 4 reps
    Lunge 2 sets of 4 reps
    StraighLeg deadlift: 2 sets 4 reps

(next week lunges are leg press and SLDL are hanging raises)

and i am still overtraining sometimes it is more important to use your brain than your muscles.

So your body feels fine on your huge overtraining routine. Thats great that it is working for you. But truth is you could cut that down in half or even to 1/3 of what you do and make the same gains. And then you are optimizing your hormone levels from your workout and can spend time doing other thing like HIT cardio later etc etc.

Also, a wise man once told me. It isnt what you can do right now, it is what you can keep up for the rest of your life. I can definitley keep up my 7-9 set workouts through school and work. I am currently 6'5 247lbs 8% BF and it has taken me 5 years (since i started) to realize how to train correctly
    •   

2. Quote Originally Posted by KgTomCat View Post
    5x5 has never worked for me, Im more of a pyramid guy...Im a strong believer in overloading the muscle
    pyramiding is NOT overloading the muscle. i am a calm guy but you need to do more reading.

"Once a muscle is fatigued it can't be properly overloaded." if you are working up in weights set by set it means your first set is not completely overloading your muscles, so by the time you reach your last set you have become fatigued and cannot achieve overload.

here is my overload squat routine from this past week:

Warm-up:

135 x 12
    225 x 8
    315 x 4
    385 x 2
    415 x 1

Overload sets:

485 x 5
    490 x 4
    500 x 4

now see i get acclimated to the weight, then go right in and hit heavy as possible overload.

3. Quote Originally Posted by fritzer View Post
    pyramiding is NOT overloading the muscle. i am a calm guy but you need to do more reading.

"Once a muscle is fatigued it can't be properly overloaded." if you are working up in weights set by set it means your first set is not completely overloading your muscles, so by the time you reach your last set you have become fatigued and cannot achieve overload.

Warm-up:

135 x 12
    225 x 8
    315 x 4
    385 x 2
    415 x 1

Overload sets:

485 x 5
    490 x 4
    500 x 4

now see i get acclimated to the weight, then go right in and hit heavy as possible overload.
    I didnt mean 3 sets of 10 reps of the same weight, I add weight every set, Ill do a few sets to positive failure, add more weight...and so on, then throw in a drop set

4. Quote Originally Posted by fritzer View Post
    example of my leg routine:

squats 3 sets of 4 reps
    Lunge 2 sets of 4 reps
    StraighLeg deadlift: 2 sets 4 reps

(next week lunges are leg press and SLDL are hanging raises)

and i am still overtraining sometimes it is more important to use your brain than your muscles.

So your body feels fine on your huge overtraining routine. Thats great that it is working for you. But truth is you could cut that down in half or even to 1/3 of what you do and make the same gains. And then you are optimizing your hormone levels from your workout and can spend time doing other thing like HIT cardio later etc etc.

Also, a wise man once told me. It isnt what you can do right now, it is what you can keep up for the rest of your life. I can definitley keep up my 7-9 set workouts through school and work. I am currently 6'5 247lbs 8% BF and it has taken me 5 years (since i started) to realize how to train correctly
    Quote Originally Posted by fritzer View Post

Warm-up:

135 x 12
    225 x 8
    315 x 4
    385 x 2
    415 x 1

Overload sets:

485 x 5
    490 x 4
    500 x 4

Is it just me or does that seem completely contradicting in itself.

5. Quote Originally Posted by faaipdeoiad View Post

Heres my routine from a couple days ago. This was actually a bit more than i usually do, I usually take out the T-bar rows, do deads first, etc. my lifts vary- almost each time i lift i try to add in something new or a new order

BACK

1) Weighted Pulls Ups - 0x10, 25lb x 8, 45 x 7, 35 x 8, 25x 5 + 0x3
    2) Standing Barbell Rows- 135x11, 185x8, 185x9, 155x11
    3)Dumbell Rows- 120x7, 120x8, 100x9
    4) Lying T-Bar Rows - 115x7, 115x6, 90x7
    SUPERSET w/ +
    5) Bent Over T-Bar Rows- 135x8, 135x7, 135x7
    6) Deadlifts - 135x12, 225x8, 275x7, 275x7, 225x8
    7) Lat Pull Down - 120x8, 120x7, 120x6
    SUPERSET W/
    8) Cable rows - 160x7, 150x7, 150x7, (plus 1set 60x12 each arm)

CALVES
    1) Seated Calf Raise- 115x14, 135x12, 135x10, 135x8
    2) Leg PressMachine Calf Extensions - 560x12, 560x10, 450x14
    3) Standing Calf Raise- 360x20, 375x 16, 375x15

ABS
    4 sets of Decline Crunches SUPERSET w/ Decline Reverse Crunches/Hip Thrusts

This was a little longer than my normal workouts, but i still managed to get through it in just over an hour and a half. I take short rests and i dont really waste time. I got through it fine though.
    In short, im not sure, can you be overtraining if u dont feel any of the symptoms of fatigue?
    I agree that you probably wouldn't feel exceptional fatigue since that w/o looks as if your going pretty light, say, 75% of your max?
    ---The internet is the father of the electronic lynch-mob---

6. Quote Originally Posted by Aggravated View Post
    It did seem awkward, but im guessing, he was just mentioning an example in his second post?

7. Quote Originally Posted by KgTomCat View Post
    I didnt mean 3 sets of 10 reps of the same weight, I add weight every set, Ill do a few sets to positive failure, add more weight...and so on, then throw in a drop set
    hahaha ok i need to clarify a bit, i apologize to all your guys.
    I know what you meant KgTomCat... but that is not overloading. if say 300x 4 of whatever is your max then you should be doing as close to 300 x 4 in your sets as possible, NOT 275 x8, 285 x 6, etc etc... that is prefatiguing the muscle group... by the last set you cannot do 300 x 4 anymore.

so what i mean is say you can flat bench 300 x 4 at the end of your pyramid if you did a proper warmup and jumped right into overload you could potentially do 315 x 4... THAT is overload!

Quote Originally Posted by aggravated View Post
    no it is not. you are looking a the warm up as actual sets. the 3 heavy working squat sets are the overload!

for kgtomcat and other this is a pyramid like in one of the previous posts:
    Standing Barbell Rows- 135x11, 185x8, 185x9, 155x11

Why not do 205 x 6, x5, x4

THAT is overload = muscle growth

sorry if i was unclear what i meant. again the warm up sets i listed are a warmup nothing more, not part of the working sets. my overload squats were:
    485 x 5
    490 x 4
    500 x 4

--> as much as possible for 4-6 reps.
    pyramiding would be
    405 x 12
    415 x 8
    425 x 6
    455 x 4 ---- see 455 x4 VS what could have been 500 x 4 above!!

8. Quote Originally Posted by hardknock View Post
    I agree that you probably wouldn't feel exceptional fatigue since that w/o looks as if your going pretty light, say, 75% of your max?
    hm im not really sure, as ive never really tried a 1rmax. never seemed to be much point. im going to do back again today, i suppose i could try doing less sets and heavier weights. the only problem is no matter how heavy i start i still have tons of energy at the end and my back doesnt feel as worked unless i hit it from every angle. not sure, maybe its just mental

9. Quote Originally Posted by fritzer View Post
    hahaha ok i need to clarify a bit, i apologize to all your guys.
    I know what you meant KgTomCat... but that is not overloading. if say 300x 4 of whatever is your max then you should be doing as close to 300 x 4 in your sets as possible, NOT 275 x8, 285 x 6, etc etc... that is prefatiguing the muscle group... by the last set you cannot do 300 x 4 anymore.

so what i mean is say you can flat bench 300 x 4 at the end of your pyramid if you did a proper warmup and jumped right into overload you could potentially do 315 x 4... THAT is overload!

no it is not. you are looking a the warm up as actual sets. the 3 heavy working squat sets are the overload!

for kgtomcat and other this is a pyramid like in one of the previous posts:
    Standing Barbell Rows- 135x11, 185x8, 185x9, 155x11

Why not do 205 x 6, x5, x4

THAT is overload = muscle growth

sorry if i was unclear what i meant. again the warm up sets i listed are a warmup nothing more, not part of the working sets. my overload squats were:
    485 x 5
    490 x 4
    500 x 4

--> as much as possible for 4-6 reps.
    pyramiding would be
    405 x 12
    415 x 8
    425 x 6
    455 x 4 ---- see 455 x4 VS what could have been 500 x 4 above!!
    IDK why I wrote that, sorry, reminds me of my Max-OT days hahaha
    •   

10. Quote Originally Posted by faaipdeoiad View Post
    hm im not really sure, as ive never really tried a 1rmax. never seemed to be much point. im going to do back again today, i suppose i could try doing less sets and heavier weights. the only problem is no matter how heavy i start i still have tons of energy at the end and my back doesnt feel as worked unless i hit it from every angle. not sure, maybe its just mental
    I don't think that a 1rm is beneficial, but say, a 4 rm might be?

If it were me, this would be the least of my worries about having an abundance of energy after a workout...i wish i had that problem, i feel sorry for ya...lol, yeaaaaah right......

give me that problem any day bro' and i'd love it.

11. I see now that the warm-up sets were not counted.

12. Quote Originally Posted by hardknock View Post
    I don't think that a 1rm is beneficial, but say, a 4 rm might be?
    Ive done the 5rep max before...liked it

13. my routine is very similar, but many of my exercises are 4 sets, instead of 5. If i do do 5, it would be a very light warmup set, or a double warmup set like say for squats, ill do 135 twice, for 15 reps very slow and deep before tackling the heavy weight. ill go up to 6 sets on leg press. But usually everything else is 4 sets. Ive been off cycle since last feb. and have been gaining weight and strength progressively since a natty cut that july. But then again, im bulking, Im not cut as hell or really lean, im around 13-15%bf and my diet is massive, and i take 2-3 days off a week with 8-9hrs of sleep a nite.

Similar Forum Threads

1. High volume vs high Intensity, questions.
    By BoyFromAus in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-30-2008, 08:03 PM
  2. New High Volume routine please critique
    By Overbech in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-21-2008, 06:01 PM
  3. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-30-2008, 02:27 PM
  4. Alternating High/Low Volume Routine
    By LakeMountD in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 0