Hack Squat Machine

weightlifting

Awards
When performing squats, deadlifts, etc. using the bar, the bar counts toward the total weight lifted. Does the weight of the bar count when using a hack squat machine?

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
When performing squats, deadlifts, etc. using the bar, the bar counts toward the total weight lifted. Does the weight of the bar count when using a hack squat machine?
Yes. Look on the side of the machine for a "Starting Weight". If it's not there, then guess. If it's a Hammer Strength machine, it is probably close to that of an actual bar. I know those guys strive for that. Why they can implement that on their smith machines I have no idea.

weightlifting

Awards
Yes. Look on the side of the machine for a "Starting Weight". If it's not there, then guess. If it's a Hammer Strength machine, it is probably close to that of an actual bar. I know those guys strive for that. Why they can implement that on their smith machines I have no idea.
Thanks. I haven't seen a starting weight on the machine but it looks to be of the same length and thickness as the Olympic bars in the gym. I find the hack squat much easier than the back squat (placing the bar on my back). I just started doing them and going as low as is possible (would be ATG if a "regular" squat).

10 x 205

10 x 280

10 x 330

6 x 330

I want to get those numbers up.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Thanks. I haven't seen a starting weight on the machine but it looks to be of the same length and thickness as the Olympic bars in the gym. I find the hack squat much easier than the back squat (placing the bar on my back). I just started doing them and going as low as is possible (would be ATG if a "regular" squat).

10 x 205

10 x 280

10 x 330

6 x 330

I want to get those numbers up.
They would most likely move up faster if you were doing barbell squats. Just make a decision on whether or not you are going for aesthetics or strength.