Hack Squat Machine

  1. New Member
    weightlifting's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    73
    Level
    2
    Lv. Percent
    6.17%

    Question Hack Squat Machine


    When performing squats, deadlifts, etc. using the bar, the bar counts toward the total weight lifted. Does the weight of the bar count when using a hack squat machine?

  2. Board Sponsor
    Aggravated's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,746
    Rep Power
    1501
    Level
    37
    Lv. Percent
    50.99%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by weightlifting View Post
    When performing squats, deadlifts, etc. using the bar, the bar counts toward the total weight lifted. Does the weight of the bar count when using a hack squat machine?
    Yes. Look on the side of the machine for a "Starting Weight". If it's not there, then guess. If it's a Hammer Strength machine, it is probably close to that of an actual bar. I know those guys strive for that. Why they can implement that on their smith machines I have no idea.
  3. New Member
    weightlifting's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    73
    Level
    2
    Lv. Percent
    6.17%

    Quote Originally Posted by Aggravated View Post
    Yes. Look on the side of the machine for a "Starting Weight". If it's not there, then guess. If it's a Hammer Strength machine, it is probably close to that of an actual bar. I know those guys strive for that. Why they can implement that on their smith machines I have no idea.
    Thanks. I haven't seen a starting weight on the machine but it looks to be of the same length and thickness as the Olympic bars in the gym. I find the hack squat much easier than the back squat (placing the bar on my back). I just started doing them and going as low as is possible (would be ATG if a "regular" squat).

    10 x 205

    10 x 280

    10 x 330

    6 x 330

    I want to get those numbers up.
    •   
       

  4. Board Sponsor
    Aggravated's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,746
    Rep Power
    1501
    Level
    37
    Lv. Percent
    50.99%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by weightlifting View Post
    Thanks. I haven't seen a starting weight on the machine but it looks to be of the same length and thickness as the Olympic bars in the gym. I find the hack squat much easier than the back squat (placing the bar on my back). I just started doing them and going as low as is possible (would be ATG if a "regular" squat).

    10 x 205

    10 x 280

    10 x 330

    6 x 330

    I want to get those numbers up.
    They would most likely move up faster if you were doing barbell squats. Just make a decision on whether or not you are going for aesthetics or strength.

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-02-2010, 02:07 PM
  2. Barbell hack squats vs. machine hack squats
    By islandmagic in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-28-2009, 10:10 AM
  3. Anyone here use the hack squat machine?
    By Rock Lee in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 12-10-2008, 09:19 AM
  4. Hack Squat
    By Brolic in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-24-2008, 11:29 AM
  5. New Squat machine
    By ItsHectic in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-14-2007, 03:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in