The Official Deadlift Appreciation Thread

sp447

sp447

Awards
  • Established
It seems that this lift is going out of style among new people that come into the gym trying to get big.

One of the most overlooked exercises on the planet, everyone coming into the gym these days thinks using machines and doing dumbbell curls are going to pack on mass.

I've only seen a few people other than myself actually do it at my gym.

So I wanted find a way to get the word around to more people about this wonderous exercise.

So I'm calling all Anabolic Minds Deadlifters to Get in Here and show your appreciation and to get the word out to noobs that Deadlifting is the key to building mass and strength and should be part of anyones workout program!

:dl:

nightshift

nightshift

Awards
I agree completely. Deads along with real squats will help you pack on mass and strength better than anything else. I think the lack of this movement being done kind of fits in with our current society. People want a quick fix and are often unwilling to put in the hard work necessary for long term results. After all, it is easier to bang out a set on a machine or do 25lb dumbell curls than it is to crank out 300lb sets on deadlifts. You reap what you sow and if you base your workouts on core power movements you are on the path for long term success.

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
I love deads, but my lumbar spine does not! I generally have done them with the conventional stance, would sumo potentially ease spine issues?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Part of the problem is that many gyms do not allow deadlifts anymore.

sp447

sp447

Awards
  • Established
I love deads, but my lumbar spine does not! I generally have done them with the conventional stance, would sumo potentially ease spine issues?
Have you tried using a trap bar? I've heard doing Trap Bar Deadlifts reduces stress on the spine.

And as always with every exercise make sure you have your form down!

Part of the problem is that many gyms do not allow deadlifts anymore.
That is blasphemy! Why?

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
Have you tried using a trap bar? I've heard doing Trap Bar Deadlifts reduces stress on the spine

That is blasphemy! Why?
I haven't tried this, I don't have access to a trap bar either, though.

jtp217

jtp217

Awards
Deads are my favorite back thickness exercise by far but like Rodja said, a lot of gyms don't allow ppl to do them anymore. My current gym doesn't allow deadlifts and they have no squat rack as well. We used to be able to do deads and had a good squat rack before they "upgraded" the gym.

When I had to switch to my current gym (lack of $$$ for one of the commercial gyms memberships) my deads were stuck at a measly 340 x 1. Hopefully I can get back in a real gym in January or so.

sp447

sp447

Awards
  • Established
Deads are my favorite back thickness exercise by far but like Rodja said, a lot of gyms don't allow ppl to do them anymore. My current gym doesn't allow deadlifts and they have no squat rack as well. We used to be able to do deads and had a good squat rack before they "upgraded" the gym.

When I had to switch to my current gym (lack of $$$ for one of the commercial gyms memberships) my deads were stuck at a measly 340 x 1. Hopefully I can get back in a real gym in January or so.
I'm curious, is it a matter of gym safety policies or do they not like people boucing big weight on the floor of the gym?

I still find it hard to believe and it makes me sick knowing some gyms forbid deadlifting and now squatting too? WTF?

jtp217

jtp217

Awards
I'm curious, is it a matter of gym safety policies or do they not like people boucing big weight on the floor of the gym?

I still find it hard to believe and it makes me sick knowing some gyms forbid deadlifting and now squatting too? WTF?
It's a matter of the ppl that run the place are a bunch of "fitness" crazed ****s.

Before they redid the place it was kinda ghetto and small but not to bad. The majority of their upgrades were buying about 17 new pieces of cardio equipment, 9 flat screen TV's, a smith machine (this is what they replaced the squat rack with because "it's exactly the same"), and 5 hammer strength machines. They carpeted the whole place and up down this plastic tile crap below the carpet so if you drop a weight it's loud as ****.

They don't allow deads because it's not a safe exercise according to them. Plus they are catering to the older members who buy their memberhips to the place (it's the universities student gym) and the girls who use the place so that they aren't intimidated and will use the place. It's really really gay.

sp447

sp447

Awards
  • Established
It's a matter of the ppl that run the place are a bunch of "fitness" crazed ****s.

Before they redid the place it was kinda ghetto and small but not to bad. The majority of their upgrades were buying about 17 new pieces of cardio equipment, 9 flat screen TV's, a smith machine (this is what they replaced the squat rack with because "it's exactly the same"), and 5 hammer strength machines. They carpeted the whole place and up down this plastic tile crap below the carpet so if you drop a weight it's loud as ****.

They don't allow deads because it's not a safe exercise according to them. Plus they are catering to the older members who buy their memberhips to the place (it's the universities student gym) and the girls who use the place so that they aren't intimidated and will use the place. It's really really gay.
That's hella ****ing gay. If you pay for the membership you should able to do pretty much whatever you god damn please.

Trading in fluff like Big Screen Tv's and a smith machine for a squat rack? Man, what a bunch of pussies.

People come to a gym to workout not watch Television

You could always deadlift with Dumbbells but it's not the same

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Suspect wanted for questioning in recent gym demolition, seen leaving local gym after told he could no longer deadlift on the premise. More at 11.

roughneck

Awards
Dead Lifts 'n' Squats!!! How can you not love 'em? The best for strength and mass,not to mention the endorphin release. Up the Iron!!!

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
love em, i will even go as far to say they are better FOR me than squats. Dont gimme wrong i love my deep squats and heavy leg presses, but deads workout so many different muscles. I love em. In fact i stopped doing traditional style and romanian deads about 6 months ago and started doing stiff-legg deadlifts instead. I do em from the floor one week, then from the rack the other week (that squat rack that has the safety like 4 inches below the knee). I put a small bend in my knee right before lockout and use the same weight i did on regular deadlifts. I WILL say,...... my lower back and hams have gotton HUGE in the past couple months,.... i love back day!!

rbuecker

rbuecker

Awards
  • Established
without deads, i'd probably still have tons of f***d up back problems from being a weak ass. if my gym told me i couldnt do them anymore, i'd be pretty pissed.

tribaltek

tribaltek

All Traps - No Tris
Awards
  • Established
It does! Tremendously! I just picked up a very nice trap bar on eBay for $75 shipped. Been using it for a few weeks now (I still do conventional barbell deads as well). Its amazing what a little change in weight and hand position can do.
Have you tried using a trap bar? I've heard doing Trap Bar Deadlifts reduces stress on the spine.

tribaltek

tribaltek

All Traps - No Tris
Awards
  • Established
I have to agree, man. A good heavy deadlift just wrecks every muscle fiber in your body. Squats are great, no question, but deads really push me to the limit!
love em, i will even go as far to say they are better FOR me than squats.

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
I have to agree, man. A good heavy deadlift just wrecks every muscle fiber in your body. Squats are great, no question, but deads really push me to the limit!
yup. another reason why i moved to more of a stiff leg,... i felt it more in my hams at the lowest point, esp. in the negatives, then mid way through, my lower back and rear traps just go hog wild. Oh i also cant forget my gains in forearm development since ive been waiting on the last sets to use my straps

tribaltek

tribaltek

All Traps - No Tris
Awards
  • Established
Agreed, forearm size and grip strength have increased quite a bit since I've been doing heavy deads. I use straps on my 2 work sets (DC style), but none on warm-ups.

tribaltek

tribaltek

All Traps - No Tris
Awards
  • Established
And while we're at it... who else loves Rack Deads? I love them!!!

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
Deads are the devil. I was once a minion in the deadlift army with several years of service. Then one day they decided to turn on me and my back has never been the same.

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
And while we're at it... who else loves Rack Deads? I love them!!!
depends. i do rack deads, but as stated in my first post it is the rack that is like 4 inches below the knee. ive tried doing rack deads above the knee, also known as partial deadlifts, but they do nothing for me. I also have a guy at my gym that does ONLY rack deads, with like up to 5 plates on each side and he thinks hes gods gift to bodybuilding. His excuse is reg deads "hurt" his back. I can see rack deads( if they are the ones using the above the knee rack) being helpful to a routine just like adding any partials to a routine would be helpful, but i cant stand ppl who do ONLY them cuz they are pussies. thats another reason why ive stayed away from the rack deads. lol i actually got the same guy to "attempt" a 405 pull with my belt and straps, after i pulled it for 10 reps,..... guy couldnt get it up half way...... guy was so embarrassed.

tribaltek

tribaltek

All Traps - No Tris
Awards
  • Established
Totally understandable, and that is why rack deads show up once in a two week rotation for me. Everything has a balance. You can't rely on one exercise for your back to do it all. Sounds like the guy at your gym needs to try trap-bad deads if his back truly hurts.

And yes, rack deads should always start below the knees.

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
same here bro, 1 week off the floor, and next week off the rack.

nemo

nemo

Awards
  • Established
I can actually feel myself growing after deads,.. no question for me, I love em!!!

soseg

soseg

Awards
  • Established
yea to be honest at my gym barely anyone does it
when the rare big solid guys come in you will see them do them or other good back workouts like t-bar rows or squats for the legs...

as for me ive started them recently doing sets of 245lbs (**** all i know!) but it will increase with time!

we get people squatting at the gym but i VERY rarely see anyone go thighs parallel... everyone gets so lazy and does these bs squats where they go down **** all... im new to it but i was squatting thighs parallel (properly i presume) on 190lbs the other day and some guy walked up to me who looked like he knew his stuff and told me "your the first person in this gym that I've seen doing squats properly all the way down... just try to tilt your head up and look towards the ceiling as you push up"

:D

wrkn4bigrmusles

Awards
  • Established
I'd wear a powerlifting shirt that had a big mofo deadlifting.. people love style so if you wear it..they will start

BoyFromAus

Awards
  • Established
deadlifts are no doubt crazy mass builder.

I did a 8 - 12 week deadlift and squat routine. went from 67kg to 85kg in that time. I gained about 4% fat as well though and mroe water retention. But definitely packed on more muscle and a lot more strength.

except me being a selfish crow, I wont go around telling ppl in my gym because if all those dumb little people knew it's effectiveness, they'll be on it all day... and yea, i can't get a go.

84bandit

deadlifts!!!

love em, give me that gym high, love how you can barely walk for 2-3 hours afterwards!