Workout advice needed. - AnabolicMinds.com

Workout advice needed.

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  250 lbs.

Workout advice needed.

So I'm trying to get back in the swing of things after taking about two years off and letting myself go. Right now I'm trying to build up a diet and exercise plan. My primary goal is fatloss and maintaining muscle and slowly building muscle mass. I've never been a fan of bodybuilder size and don't really ever want to be like that, but I would like to have a little muscle. I care more about strength than size.

I worked out like a mad man my sophomore and junior year of high school and then stopped after my senior football season was over and haven't really worked out since. At my best I could bench about 275, squat 425, deadlift about 500. I'm not anywhere near those numbers right now though. In high school I always followed what our strength trainer told us to do for sets and reps. He'd have us max out on our lifts and then he'd give us plans for the next 8 weeks or so on how much weight we should be doing and how many reps we should be doing based on what our max lifts were. So I've never really had to think about designing a weight lifting program before.

From what I've read and gathered from different places, a high volume workout would be most conducive for weight loss. Is there any truth to that? Also, once I get back in the gym and figure out what my current max lifts are, what programs would you recommend that best fit my current goals. Thanks for any help.

Thanks again,
    J

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  210 lbs.

Weight loss is a function of your diet and energy output, nothing else. It doesn't matter what your workout looks like, you'll lose weight as long as you burn more calories than you consume. Make sure your diet is high in protein and low in simple carbs and adjust the amount of calories according to your progress for the best results.

Almost anything will let you put on "a little muscle" after a two years break. Just choose a program that appeals to you. Since you stated that your main goal is to gain strenght, you might want to look into a powerlifting routine like the Westside programs.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  223 lbs.

I'd go w/ a 5x5 routine or a similar power based routine. As far as diet, like noobster said, keep the protein high, fats moderate and carbs lower and complex.
    •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Workout Help Needed.
    By SuppKnight in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-05-2010, 08:48 PM
  2. new ideas needed for workout
    By hammerdn in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-05-2010, 05:12 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-15-2009, 01:54 PM