increase wrist diameter

just93

just93

Awards
  • Established
i want to increase the diameter/size of my wrist.....know of any good exercises??

just93

just93

Awards
  • Established
not familiar with "snatch-grip deads" im gunna try to google it
EDIT: i found it thanks bro

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No problem, forearms are my weak point so I am constantly looking for ways to strengthen and improve them. Good luck - those SGDs are one of the best mass builders all the way around and they grow your forearms and grip right along with everything else! :thumbsup:

borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
i have the same problem buddy. my wrist to forearm taper is stupid... haha

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
Can't be done - sorry!

It's a function of bone structure, because that's your wrist: bones, the spaces between the bones, the stuff that goes around the bones. Lotsa nerves, lotsa blood supply, lotsa tendons - fascia around that, then fat, then skin & hair.

Once you're full-grown, that's it. Too much "wrist exercise" can screw up your wrist, but not build it up. Trust me, you do not want to screw up your wrists.

just93

just93

Awards
  • Established
so know muscle can be built around the wrist??

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The section of the wrist immediately posterior to the hand will not grow, as there is no real muscle there, just lots of tendons, as was stated above.

However, pretty much from the styloid process (the little bumps where the radius and ulna protrude slightly) up to the elbow there are plenty of muscles that can be worked and grown, increasing forearm size and wrist diameter behind that process. When measured immediately behind that area, my wrists have increased quite a bit in size. Farther forward, where the carpals are, well, there BodyWizard pretty much nailed it.

just93

just93

Awards
  • Established
see thats all i want, i should have worded the section i wanted to add size a little better, you got though, ill be sure to add those to workout when my arm fully heals!

BoyFromAus

Awards
  • Established
Can't be done - sorry!

It's a function of bone structure, because that's your wrist: bones, the spaces between the bones, the stuff that goes around the bones. Lotsa nerves, lotsa blood supply, lotsa tendons - fascia around that, then fat, then skin & hair.

Once you're full-grown, that's it. Too much "wrist exercise" can screw up your wrist, but not build it up. Trust me, you do not want to screw up your wrists.
yea,
Bone thickness obviously can't be increased when you've finished the growth age (which sucks for me since i have skinny bones) .

But can't the skeletal muscle and tendons in that area gain a little bit of thickness?

Julio R

Awards
once you stop growing your stuck with how your bones are structure, it can only get denser and stronger. pound of pound bone is stronger than stone. i love my bones as much as my muscle.

just93

just93

Awards
  • Established
yah dude i agree, as a teen i never realized how important bones are lol, that may sound kinda funny but i didnt really care about them....now im realizing i should start to.......i dont know what exact tendons they are......i can give a example of where it hurt and when it hurt.....

when you get into a push up position, when your hands are flat on the floor and your ready to go down, all the tendons in my forearm start to hurt pretty bad, im not saying it in the way that its only when i do push ups but when ever my had is in that position....i was putting a shampoo bottle back on the shelf in my shower and it hurt super bad, and after i "tweak" it it hurts for the rest of the day

BoyFromAus

Awards
  • Established
yah dude i agree, as a teen i never realized how important bones are lol, that may sound kinda funny but i didnt really care about them....now im realizing i should start to.......i dont know what exact tendons they are......i can give a example of where it hurt and when it hurt.....

when you get into a push up position, when your hands are flat on the floor and your ready to go down, all the tendons in my forearm start to hurt pretty bad, im not saying it in the way that its only when i do push ups but when ever my had is in that position....i was putting a shampoo bottle back on the shelf in my shower and it hurt super bad, and after i "tweak" it it hurts for the rest of the day

I have a similar problem with bench press.
My wrists burn like hell well before my chest and triceps even feel the hit.

just93

just93

Awards
  • Established
well, my arm has been caste for a while, got it off not to long ago, and its hurting like hell.....i dont even want to move it

liquid

liquid

Awards
  • Established
dumbbell rolls, by rolling the db to the finger tips and clenching it back up. (underhand grip)

controlled db twists.

on a preacher curl bench/platform, and just do wrist curls.

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I can't believe no-one mentioned the WankMaster2000TM

just93

just93

Awards
  • Established
oh i got that......it works great, and no they really didnt offer a PT so i just assumed it wasnt needed......im going to ask my doctor what the deal is..thanks guys.......but does glucosamine work for this purpose, and is it effective as a lotion??

its pretty cheap...

noobster

noobster

Awards
controlled db twists.
I've never heard of them before and I can't seem to find them. Google only comes up with links to a gay BB site (which I'm hesitant to visit) and some ab excercises. How do they work?

mr j

Awards
agree with liquid : dumbell rolls but i have also noticed u grow muscles on ur top hands and side (pinky side).

high reps + rotate weights

and Dumbbell Wrist Flippers work too

"at least they do for me"

u know man use ur hands to feel ur muscle flex. sometimes when i dont feel a burn i check to see if the muscle is being used.

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
yea,
Bone thickness obviously can't be increased when you've finished the growth age (which sucks for me since i have skinny bones) .

But can't the skeletal muscle and tendons in that area gain a little bit of thickness?
No skeletal muscles in the wrist - certainly no movers, primary or secondary; ergo, nothing to bulk - 'course, the tight quarters mitigates against much enlargement (see 'carpal-tunnel syndrome').

What do I mean by "wrist"?
Wrap your index finger & thumb around one of your wrists, so that are covering the "middle ring" - one of three 'foldy' skin-creases just below each hand; let your other fingers grip the forearm naturally.

The area under you fingers is the wrist.

The whole point of the wrist is to transfer power from the forearm muscles to the hand. By strengthening your extensors & flexors you can certainly build up your forearms, and can thicken the tendons linking them to the bones in your hand, but again, there's just nothing in there TO bulk.

When working your forearms: be real careful about clicking and catching and pain in your wrist. It's possible to get your forearms so strong that they are constantly exerting a pull on the wrist joint, and in extreme circumstances can reduce the tolerances & erode cartilage. Try not to let this happen!

Interestingly, ankles are the same.

BettrBdyMitch

BettrBdyMitch

Awards
Personally, from what I understand, the wrist diameter i genetic. I try to refrain from doing too much forearm excersizes becuase of martial arts and needing the flexibility, but I do work on trying to increase my grip strength (do a lot of gi jiu jitsu) so when I do weights, I won't use wrist straps unless I absolutely cannot hold the weights themselves, my forearms do get stronger, but not bigger.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I have never really heard anyone want to have larger wrists, maybe larger forearms... Having larger wrists will give the illusion that your forearms are small, the same with forearm-bicep ratio. Look up Frank Mcrath... He is a good example of larger than necessary forearms. At least in proportion to the res of his body.

http://www.nlabba.com/images/Frank1.jpg