Tricep Dips

onimusha

Awards
Guys how to do dips for triceps? bec i notice its more on chest...

phil216

Awards
  • Established
Try to keep your elbows in tighter and use a more narrow hand spacing (if you have v bars to dip on). When you let your elbows flare outwards more you shift focus to your chest

nemo

nemo

Awards
  • Established
Keep your body straighter, like your legs under you,.. the further back your legs go, a person tends to lean forward, and this involves the chest more.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
Keep your body straighter, like your legs under you,.. the further back your legs go, a person tends to lean forward, and this involves the chest more.
exactly. when you do dips for triceps, its body as straight as possible, looking straight ahead.

which chest dips, i tuck my legs back, chest forward, neck forward, and i can barely feel my triceps working.

slanno

slanno

Awards
Just got done doing a training set that used alot of dips.Your going to want to tuck your elbow's in as close to your body,and face directly forward do not stair down. Also its really easy to hyper extend your shoulders when doing dips, just lower your body enough to have fists a couple inches lower then your deltoids.

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Why not do tri dips on a bench. Put your legs straight out in front of you on the floor. I guarentee you will feel it in the tri's that way. Or to make it harder put your feet up on a bench also.

BifWebster

Awards
^^ all good advice above, I don't know how the dip racks are set up at your gym but at mine, the handles are adjustable and can be widened / narrowed, the narrow option is better suited for triceps. I also noticed that Ihave to use a slower negative in order to keep my body vertical.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
Narrow grip, elbows in, chest up, balls to the wall

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
Bench dips (reverse pushups) are also a great triceps exercise. It's easier to add weight to parallel bar dips, but I can concentrate more on my triceps when I do bench dips.

I like to make them the last exercise in my upper arms workout. I usually finish with variations of 21s on bench dips. I like it!