Tips for adding reps to Bench Press

1. Registered User
    Answers

Tips for adding reps to Bench Press

Last second, but I thought I'd post it here. Theres finals of Bench Press Comp. today at my college, and you have to do body weight x as many reps possible. Anyone have any experience with this? I did 26 reps x 170 in the prelims, but I probably need 28+ to get into the top 3-5 which is my goal. My strategy was just to throw it up as fast as possible until I couldn't go any longer, but I wanted to know if anyone had anything else to add. Thanks:donut:

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Answers

If you can't get your hands on some caffeine pills, that might help with energy and focus. If you can get your hands on some of that energy spray, that works too. Never used it for anything lifting related, but me and my friends used to take that stuff for the fun of it and we'd be jacked up for about an hour afterwards. Other than that, make sure you do your warmups well, and avoid static stretching right before your event. Research shows that static stretching reduces strength for a time afterwards. Try some dynamic stretches for the chest, deltoids, and triceps.

If the event is aimed at total reps completed, I still wouldn't throw the weight as fast as possible, as you set yourself up for possible injury. I would push the weight at a reasonable pace, however, because your goal is total reps, and nothing more. Don't drop the weight on the negative, but lower it as fast as you can while maintaining control.

That's about all I can think of! Good luck, man!
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua86 View Post
    If you can't get your hands on some caffeine pills, that might help with energy and focus. If you can get your hands on some of that energy spray, that works too. Never used it for anything lifting related, but me and my friends used to take that stuff for the fun of it and we'd be jacked up for about an hour afterwards. Other than that, make sure you do your warmups well, and avoid static stretching right before your event. Research shows that static stretching reduces strength for a time afterwards. Try some dynamic stretches for the chest, deltoids, and triceps.

If the event is aimed at total reps completed, I still wouldn't throw the weight as fast as possible, as you set yourself up for possible injury. I would push the weight at a reasonable pace, however, because your goal is total reps, and nothing more. Don't drop the weight on the negative, but lower it as fast as you can while maintaining control.

That's about all I can think of! Good luck, man!
    x2, make sure to get enough carbs beforehand:hot:
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  310 lbs.
    Answers

Just make sure to eat enough before the contest so you will have enough energy.
  5. Registered User
    Answers

Thanks for all the responses, did about the same as prelims.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  217 lbs.
    Answers

what placing?
  7. Registered User
    Answers

Improve on your squats to gain more on your bench.
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  217 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyroom28 View Post
    Last second, but I thought I'd post it here. Theres finals of Bench Press Comp. today at my college, and you have to do body weight x as many reps possible. Anyone have any experience with this? I did 26 reps x 170 in the prelims, but I probably need 28+ to get into the top 3-5 which is my goal. My strategy was just to throw it up as fast as possible until I couldn't go any longer, but I wanted to know if anyone had anything else to add. Thanks:donut:
    I think one of the best tips is to do a couple shoulder workouts before benching. You know to properly warm them up and then when you bench its all light :bb:
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  210 lbs.
    Answers

work on building lactic acid resistance by doing low weights, say using 60lb dumbells and repping it out as fast as possible while keeping good form for 45-60 seconds at a time followed by 2min rest. Do 3 sets of this and you will exponentially increase chest endurance. Also, drop sets/ strip sets will be benifical too
    Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. -Rippetoe
  10. Registered User
    Answers

100 push ups a day everyday will add +5 pounds to your bench max per week and will aid in bench endurance(or thats what I was told).. see what works for you though but preventing lactic acid buildup is key for sure
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by HEARTLESS View Post
    100 push ups a day everyday will add +5 pounds to your bench max per week and will aid in bench endurance(or thats what I was told).. see what works for you though but preventing lactic acid buildup is key for sure
    push ups only add endurance not much in strength though. i used to do 300 everyday and it help a lot on my endurance but not much on my bench max.
  12. Banned
    Stats
    6'2"  275 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyroom28 View Post
    do isolation movements for the tri's too...
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

pretend you are pulling the bar apart with your hands... it engages the triceps more during the movement. Also, maintain a tight back with a solid arch and do not i repeat do not rotate at the shoulders. Simply by having a more econimical form, you should be able to increase by 2-3 reps
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  197 lbs.
    Answers

would all those pushups not be overtraining?
  15. Pro Virili Parte
    Board Sponsor
    Answers

dont they make some kind of shirt that is soupposed to improve ur bench? I had read an article about it a whiiillee ago, never know if it was a gimmick but had a good review from what I remember
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  197 lbs.
    Answers

yeah, they have some shirts with stretch bands in them that are supposed to improve performance. usually by about 1% tho... not worth the extra cash IMO
  17. yea!!!!!
    Stats
    6'3"  249 lbs.
    Answers

old school weighted dips anyone?
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Bench Press Help
    By Swanson52 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-09-2013, 12:13 AM
  2. bench press