Exercise besides a close grip bench press??

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
I've been doing close grip bench presses for the past month and I love how they have added some size to my arms. I pulled a tendon in my wrist a few months back and it's pretty uncomfortable. Does anybody know any other exercises to hit that part of the tricep?

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
bench dips would hit the same area. its all about arm position for tri's. overhand tricep pushdowns would do it too, but its not a compound movement.

landfill

Awards
I've been doing close grip bench presses for the past month and I love how they have added some size to my arms. I pulled a tendon in my wrist a few months back and it's pretty uncomfortable. Does anybody know any other exercises to hit that part of the tricep?

Depends how bad your wrist is,but you can do close grip benches with an EZ curl bar,a more natural position,less strain on the wrists.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
Do a glose grip, tri pressdown, french press with your elbows out wide dips with elbows out.... just do any tri movement with your elbows wide. Kick backs are the typical staple for outer tris but i find them over rated.

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
Depends how bad your wrist is,but you can do close grip benches with an EZ curl bar,a more natural position,less strain on the wrists.
It's not bad. It just is sore when I rotate it weird. I had done that before but I did it on a bench so it was kind of tough getting it up without a spotter. I was thinking maybe doing it on the floor...putting one of those step things on each side of me.

landfill

Awards
It's not bad. It just is sore when I rotate it weird. I had done that before but I did it on a bench so it was kind of tough getting it up without a spotter. I was thinking maybe doing it on the floor...putting one of those step things on each side of me.

That could work,though it might mean you can't lower it as far.To do it on a flat bench,sit on the end of the bench,bar at your feet,lift the bar onto your thighs,then back to your stomach,lie back and move the bar onto your stomach,then press it over head.Do the reverse when you've finished your set.Unless you're lifting some serious weight that should work OK.

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
I think it's good to switch up your exercises anyway. Some other good triceps exercises would include skull crushers (laying triceps extensions), standing triceps extensions, parallel bar dips, bench dips (reverse pushups), and strict dumbbell kickbacks.

I think you have to be pretty strict with any exercise where you're specifically targeting the triceps, if the exercise calls for it. It's easy to get sloppy on any exercise; forgetting what your purpose is, or getting carried away with how much weight you're shooting for. Kickbacks for instance, although highly criticized by many people, have proven a quality triceps isolation exercise for me, because I concentrate so much on my form. Rather than swinging the arm to lift the weight, the top of my arm hardly wavers from parallel, since I'm using my triceps alone to lift the weight (although I'm pretty sure my deltoids are contracting for stabilization).

I don't think kickbacks should be the staple exercise of your triceps program, however. I like to start out with close-grip presses or parallel bar dips, then move to some extensions, and finish off with kickbacks or pressdowns.

Just switch it up, go as heavy as you can, while maintaining strict form, contract your triceps at the peak of the movements and flex them between sets. You should see some good results, even without close-grip presses. Happy training!

nemo

nemo

Awards
  • Established
I'm gonna try reverse grip benches!

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
bench dips would hit the same area. its all about arm position for tri's. overhand tricep pushdowns would do it too, but its not a compound movement.
Not true with the way I see some jerkoffs doin' em'.

tribaltek

tribaltek

All Traps - No Tris
Awards
  • Established
These are one of my new favorite exercises. My triceps, which NEVER grow, have made improvement since incorporating these into my routine.
I'm gonna try reverse grip benches!

MMAMONSTER19

Awards
  • Established
ya skullcrushers are really nice and you can do diamond pushups at the end of ur tricep workout

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Floor Presses with dumbbells are a great tricep builder, as are board presses, dips, and tate presses. Just get yourself a pair of stiff wrist wraps and go to town. PM me if you want advice for wraps.