Help! I need endurance. Now!

NerdFlexd

NerdFlexd

Awards
Soccer season starting up again at my school and i went to my first conditioning practice. I F***ing DIED! It was so embarassing, the fat guys on the team who are at least 100 pounds of fat heavier then me had more endurance then i did. I NEED to fix this!
Any ideas on how to build up my endurance, and what worked for me.

KLaw666

KLaw666

Awards
cardio endurance or muscular endurance? if its cardio then i think runnig would be a good idea, if its muscular endurance for your legs then you want to go in the 15-20 rep mark for the most part. combine the two and ur golden

KLaw666

KLaw666

Awards
Soccer season starting up again at my school and i went to my first conditioning practice. I F***ing DIED! It was so embarassing, the fat guys on the team who are at least 100 pounds of fat heavier then me had more endurance then i did. I NEED to fix this!
Any ideas on how to build up my endurance, and what worked for me.
6' 180lbs huh? 280+lb soccer players are hard to come by

NerdFlexd

NerdFlexd

Awards
6' 180lbs huh? 280+lb soccer players are hard to come by
well idk how much they weigh i was just making a point

and for future reference, i need aerobic endurance

any ideas besides just running, or is that about it

KLaw666

KLaw666

Awards
swim, skip, hop-scotch, jog, ellipticle?, treadmill, run in place, jump rope. . . . haha, idk man, if you want aerobic endurance then you have to do aerobic training. unlike anaerobic training, it isnt too complex. you just have to get ur HR up for extended periods of time. imo, good ol running is simple and straight forward. . . .just start running and then keep running:dance:

flobot

flobot

Awards
  • Established
Spar boxing and go 1 more round each time. It's an awesome and rewarding way of getting cardio.

raginfcktard

raginfcktard

Awards
  • Established
What does your diet look like?
no shite....if he's dragging ass already preaching more cardio is the last thing i'd worry about. i mean come on he's a soccor player for christ sakes, if you feed him some pasta he'd probably could run me down a antalope for dinner!

NerdFlexd

NerdFlexd

Awards
no shite....if he's dragging ass already preaching more cardio is the last thing i'd worry about. i mean come on he's a soccor player for christ sakes, if you feed him some pasta he'd probably could run me down a antalope for dinner!
Ok sounds like a plan, eat more carbs, run my ass of, eat more carbs and then jump run some more

sp447

sp447

Awards
  • Established
Look into some of Joe Defranco's workouts. They are proven and highly effective.

The guy is a genius

sreed11

sreed11

Awards
  • Established
High School season or club? not that that's important at all just curious.

Go for a 15 minute fartleck run to get you started. Get about a three minute warm up first then go maybe 50 seconds jogging and 10 seconds at about a 90% run. If this is easy then bump it up to 20 second run and 40 second jog. My goal that i got up to eventually, and now am in great shape for soccer is 30 seconds jog, 30 second run for 20 minutes.

Also, i know a lot of high school and college soccer teams have you either run for 12 minutes or just for 2 miles. Other training you can do is run a 6 minute mile, rest for 6 minutes, run for 6, rest for six. if you're hitting a seven minute mile then rest for 7 minutes. It got my two mile time down to 11 flat.

Good luck man, dont forget the technical work! most overlooked training in soccer IMO

NerdFlexd

NerdFlexd

Awards
Its my highschool team, but i want to get on a club team after season.
Im working on my technical stuff alot too, but i really need to bring up my endurance, its my biggest weak point.
So yeah i think ill mix it up between just normal long runs and interval sprinting endurance.

Also for anyone reading this i just read a clip about soccer running training that made alot of sense to me. During a game, you dont run in a straight line, you move in all directions. So during training incorporate different directions of running, do back pedals, karaokes, side steps, slalom running, L cuts and other stuff into your endurance training.

Delita420

Delita420

Awards
  • Established
Also for anyone reading this i just read a clip about soccer running training that made alot of sense to me. During a game, you dont run in a straight line, you move in all directions. So during training incorporate different directions of running, do back pedals, karaokes, side steps, slalom running, L cuts and other stuff into your endurance training.
That's how the best athletes train. Put some cones down or any kind of markers. Even practice sprints from a normal standing position (both feet side by side), don't let one foot step back. It will make you run faster from a dead stop.

ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established
well idk how much they weigh i was just making a point

and for future reference, i need aerobic endurance

any ideas besides just running, or is that about it
I would suggest a spin class. I will get your legs in shape, plus build endurance.

84bandit

swim dude, thats the best thing in the world. i run cross country, and can run a 8 mile in like 54 minutes, but swimming is a whole nother level of endurance, put me in the pool and i can swimm about a 100m without stopping, thats it

ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established
84bandit is correct; I forgot about swimming. When I was prepping for SFAS and Ranger school, swimming is what got my endurance level above what it has ever been. You think you have endurance until you get in a pool and start swimming, you get a rude awakening. swimming utilizies your entire body.

NerdFlexd

NerdFlexd

Awards
84bandit is correct; I forgot about swimming. When I was prepping for SFAS and Ranger school, swimming is what got my endurance level above what it has ever been. You think you have endurance until you get in a pool and start swimming, you get a rude awakening. swimming utilizies your entire body.
hmm, swimming and focusing on legs would be a tough workout, definitely going to add that in as a workou

james1

james1

Banned
Awards
  • Established
The only way to get into soccer shape is to run, trust me. The best workout you can do is ask written.

mondays- mile repeats, run a mile at the fastest pace your body will allow. Remember you must finish the mile without stopping to walk. Run mile, take break until fully recovered( prob 10-15 minutes) run a second mile as fast as possible trying to stay within 30-40 seconds of first time. take another break until full recovery, then run a third mile, trying to keep within 90 seconds of first mile.

tuesdays- run three miles at a comfortable pace, should be slightly faster then your jog.

wednesdays- Jump rope, boxing, swimming something of this sort. warm up stretch, get a nice sweaty workout in, then stretch for 15 min.

thursdays- sprints and bleachers. if you have access to a track run a 100m sprint, then 200, then 400, then 800. these should be at 85-90%, it should be slaughter, don't let yourself stop run through pain it will be grueling i promise. After run bleachers for 5-10 min. then run a nice 800m cooldown walk-jog type pace.

fridays- run a comfortable mile, followed by 2 hard 1200m runs. followed by 800m cool down and really good stretching.

Just keep in mind it is extremely important to 1. warm up and plyo type stretching. 2) run the workouts like a man. 3) run cooldown until your heart rate is back to normal and you feel great. after stretch for a while. STRETCH EVERYTHING AFTER COOLDOWNS. so plyo stretching before workouts and static stretching after.

within 3-4 weeks you will be in best shape out of anyone else on the field. goodluck!

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
good advice here. i've never had to work on my endurance, but all the advice sounds right.

you could even try running with ankle weights, that way when its actually time for a game, you'll be faster than you were in practice.

also, pre/post workout shakes apply in this scenario. if you're having issues with energy levels, this would help you run a little longer.

Delita420

Delita420

Awards
  • Established
good advice here. i've never had to work on my endurance, but all the advice sounds right.

you could even try running with ankle weights, that way when its actually time for a game, you'll be faster than you were in practice.

also, pre/post workout shakes apply in this scenario. if you're having issues with energy levels, this would help you run a little longer.
Ankle weights can be helpful for increasing training intensity. They can also be the cause of various joint problems. I wouldn't resort to ankle weights unless your training is too easy. If you haven't been training at all, I'd start without them. If you'd like to try them, start very light.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
lol... i was talking about the 1 pounders.

Delita420

Delita420

Awards
  • Established
lol... i was talking about the 1 pounders.
I know... I am trying to put things into perspective for a teen. There's a lot he can do. We don't know how he has been training though, and we don't know how he has been eating. We do know he has a lot of good advice here. There are so many variables... You get the idea.

I wasn't trying to discredit you.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
I know... I am trying to put things into perspective for a teen. There's a lot he can do. We don't know how he has been training though, and we don't know how he has been eating. We do know he has a lot of good advice here. There are so many variables... You get the idea.

I wasn't trying to discredit you.
no issue with that brotha. upon reading your post, i realized i didn't specify, and yes, i should have.

james1

james1

Banned
Awards
  • Established
You don't need to train with ankle weights if your training in the gym as well, as a soccer player or track runner running with ankle weights will just give you monster shin splints, just run like forrest lol. I'm running on a d1 track scholarship and that was our summer workout to get in shape. Just run there is no easy way out when it comes to serious running shape. best of luck man!