Votes: 24 32.4%
  • Lat Pulls

Votes: 9 12.2%
  • I do both

Votes: 41 55.4%

• Total voters

Rah22491

Awards
Which do you think gets wider lats Pulldowns or wide grip chins. I personally do both just to switch things up. but what do you guys think?

nemo

nemo

Awards
  • Established
Wide grip chins,.. just because!! I do both, but for pure mass and strength,.. well, already said it!!!

Behemoth1

Awards
  • Established
Im currently doing 3 or 4 sets of wide grip chins in the 10-12 rep range. then i'll go to lat pull downs and do 4 sets there with two different grips. i believe your getting a different angle with lat pulldowns, plus i just enjoy the variety

TURUGBY

Awards
  • Established
I do both but I stress chins esp. weighted chins are far better...so i voted for chins rather than both.

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
Ever done weighted rack chins? If not, look into it...they are good.

I like:

pullups...lots of sets (like 4)
rack chins
BB row
heavy deads

i mix it up

Which do you think gets wider lats Pulldowns or wide grip chins. I personally do both just to switch things up. but what do you guys think?

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
You can benefit from both, but if I had to pick just one, I'd go with wide grip pull-ups.

One benefit of pulldowns is that you can use a resistance that's less than your own body weight.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
by wide are we talking shoulder width? my wrists feel funny going wider than that.

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
by wide are we talking shoulder width? my wrists feel funny going wider than that.
Usually when I think of wide grip, I think of my forearms being perpendicular with the floor at the peak of the movement, or maybe just an inch or two wider. Any wider than that seems to place unnecessary stress on the AC joints.

Rah22491

Awards
Arnold always talked about doing them wider than shoulder width to widen the scapula and stretch the lats more but you do have a good point about the stress on the ac joints

doyoudo911

Awards
stupid question but which way do u guys keep ur hands facing i have my palms facing towards my feet but some guy at the gym said flip it...that feels weird tho...wat do u guys think?

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Chin-ups are palms facing you and uses more biceps. Pull-ups are palms facing away from you and focus more mostly back/lats. I believe most people are actually meaning wide grip pull-ups not chin-ups in these posts.

doyoudo911

Awards
Chin-ups are palms facing you and uses more biceps. Pull-ups are palms facing away from you and focus more mostly back/lats. I believe most people are actually meaning wide grip pull-ups not chin-ups in these posts.

wow i feel so stupid i was thinking or reverse push ups hahahah WOW

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I feel lat pull downs are no substitute for pull ups. Use a weight belt if needed.

Caferacer

Caferacer

Awards
  • Established
stupid question but which way do u guys keep ur hands facing i have my palms facing towards my feet but some guy at the gym said flip it...that feels weird tho...wat do u guys think?
because your bicep has less leverage with your palms facing outwards. Your bicep tendon wraps around your bone and has less pulling ability than otherwise.

D3vildog

D3vildog

Awards
  • Established

In Boot i was told that its personal preference, some people are more comfortable than others with either way.

I started out doing them palms to my body, but could never get more than 8 without assistance... switched it up and i could do 10-12 reps on each set...

(Yes i was weak in boot)... :p but that was a while ago...

swole210

swole210

Awards
  • Established
In Boot i was told that its personal preference, some people are more comfortable than others with either way.

I started out doing them palms to my body, but could never get more than 8 without assistance... switched it up and i could do 10-12 reps on each set...

(Yes i was weak in boot)... :p but that was a while ago...
Yeah I remember they used to tell us that, but most guys were told to do them palms facing them so as to use more of their biceps to assist. I allways did them palms facing foward from me because I allways have, and never had problems easily reaching my 20 pull ups.

SEMPER FI-

D3vildog

D3vildog

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I remember they used to tell us that, but most guys were told to do them palms facing them so as to use more of their biceps to assist. I allways did them palms facing foward from me because I allways have, and never had problems easily reaching my 20 pull ups.

SEMPER FI-

Lol yeah, i could never hit the 20 mark... i started seriously weight training after boot and went in at like 220... came out 170... now that i think about it, it was prolly just me loosing so much weight that got me those extra reps on all of those sets... and not just switching.

Either way, i still do better Palms out.

SEMPER FI

drivehard

drivehard

Awards
  • Established
They each have their place, so I voted both.

When doing pull-ups (especially weighted) I feel like I get much more of a core workout. I can feel my abs engage, as well as many other stabilizer muscles. I go palms in, palms out, and pals pointed towards me. Usually 6 sets of 15 reps on Tuesday (bodyweight) and 6 sets of weighted pull-ups on Friday.

Once a week I do heavy lat pull downs. I switch between a palms out and a palms towards me bar. I do 5 sets, 2 warm-ups, and 3 heavy. When doing these, I can concentrate on really getting a good lat stretch and can better isolate the lat muscles.

I think both are important!

Bravoboy

Bravoboy

Awards
  • Established
Wide grip pull-ups, but When i do straight bar pull downs (arms straight) standing up. it is awesome!

IRON4LIFE

IRON4LIFE

Awards
  • Established
When you hit over the 200 mark in weight, you might think differently.

I agree..i typically hover at the upwards range of around 250...which makes wide grip chins very difficult...if i can get a good clean 8 im happy...its damn near impossible with that much dead weight hanging

repmks

repmks

Awards
  • Established
whatever feels more natural and joint pain free for the trainee.

PhysiqueFreak

PhysiqueFreak

Awards
  • Established
love them both. I like short rest between lat pulldown sets for the pump

BettrBdyMitch

BettrBdyMitch

Awards
I do both, but I personally like v-bar chins!