I don't get sore?

BBR

BBR

Awards
Hey guys. I've been training for a couple of years now and I'd like to think I have a fair idea what I'm doing. I have good technique and I always try to ensure I'm getting a good pump out of whatever I'm doing.
Over two years I've tried a variety of training methods and the only thing they seem to have in common is that I never got sore from them. The only parts of my body that hurt the day(s) after are my lower back and my thighs. Aside from that, nothing.
Sure I get a big stiff or sore WHEN I'm training, but never in 'recovery time'. I take my protein, my BCAA's etc. and I still get the feeling that I've worked hard enough, and I DO work hard. I lift 5-6 days a week, have a great diet and push hard when I'm at the gym.
Basically, I want to know why I might not be growing? Could it be I train TOO much? Not enough sleep? I'm out of ideas.

Hank Vangut

Hank Vangut

Awards
  • Established
you can't equate muscle soreness with workout effectiveness.
muscle soreness is NOT an indicator of a good workout.
muscle soreness is however an indicator that you did something that your muscles are not accustomed to.
instead, focus on progressive overload not muscle soreness.
use a scale, a mirror, pictures, tape measure and/or workout log to judge whether or not what you're doing is actually working.
use muscle soreness as an excuse not to have to take out the garbage.

BIGG DOGG

BIGG DOGG

Awards
  • Established
Switch it up and always push your self... If you arnt increasing weight or # of reps then you arnt making progress... I am sore after almost every work out.. And i lift 4-5 times a week for the last 4 years...

SokVichet

SokVichet

Awards
  • Established
I've never not been sore, haha. I have always hit a resistance, repetition, set, and intensity level that is at the peak of my current ability to perform. I walk out of the gym after about 45-55 min of exertion tapering up from warmup sets to all out nothing-left failure. Over time, depending upon the method of overload, I get stronger, require less set rest, can do more repetitions, etc. This is my understanding of Progressive Overload. Every workout, I am either immediately sore or end up sore the next day.

Often I include dropsets, supersets, megasets (i dunno what it's called, but high-rep sets like 50, 75, 100 etc, but these are RARE) to change things up, add in an extra set, swap out exercises, etc. But for the most part, my goal is to taper up to the max weight I can lift at a certain rep range (usually 6-8 minimum on my final sets) and move up in weight once I can do more than the goal.

In your opinion Hank, what would the benefit be of pulling back from this focus on resistance to repetition and focusing on any of the other volume aspects (2, 4-6 below) or time aspects (7 below)? How often do you step away from the constant push for PRs within hypertrophy rep ranges, and is the end benefit worth doing so when your overall goal is hypertrophy?

I hate posting externally, but this is a decent article: Progressive Overload
1 - Increase Resistance
2 - Increase Sets
3 - Increase Repetitions
4 - Increase Frequency
5 - Increase Exercises
6 - Increase Intensity
7 - Decrease Rest Time

Last edited:
BBR

BBR

Awards
I agree that soreness is not an indication of a good workout, it's just that everyone else seems to get sore! I do go up in weight or reps every week and I've definately grown in strength in the time I've been training.
I do drops sets, partials, negatives and x-reps (Yeah I spent the money and got the e-book) on different occasions and I regularly train to failure.
You're also right in regards to a tape measure etc. as the most accurate way to measure how effectively you're training.
Thanks for the advice guys. I always just be figured I was 'doing it wrong' if I wasn't sore!

SokVichet

SokVichet

Awards
  • Established
While being sore sucks, I'm somewhat glad for it as I can use it as an indicator to determine when I can hit that muscle group next. I wouldn't even know what to do if I weren't getting sore!

Last edited:
somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
Not sore.... Try X-factor. (I havent but i am plenty sore already)

BBR

BBR

Awards
What do you mean how long is my eccentric contraction mate? I understand what an EC is, but not what you mean by how long.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What do you mean how long is my eccentric contraction mate? I understand what an EC is, but not what you mean by how long.
How many seconds do take on the eccentric portion of the lift?

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
Essentially are you using momentum or a long squeeze to maximize your muscle activation at the peak of contraction.

If you want to change things up, for legs for example, try doing Jumping lunges, maximum speed maximum effort, then weighted lunges and so on.

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
What makes you sore one week might not make you sore the next week, if your body acclimates to it. I think some people acclimate to exercises faster than others. For instance, my arms and shoulders are hardly ever sore, even after I've pounded them in the gym. I switch up my workouts on a regular basis to, and hardly have to deal with any soreness in those areas. So I don't attribute soreness to having a good workout, or to progress. I mean, there are plenty of things I can do in the gym that would make my muscles sore, but wouldn't necessarily lead to sufficient muscle overload and growth.

However, I'm almost always sore the day after doing squats, deadlifts, and bent over barbell rows. You have to watch out though, because soreness can be a double edged sword. You have to learn to differentiate muscle soreness from other types of soreness. Personally, I enjoy some muscle soreness. I'm sure I'm not the only one!!

So I guess it depends on the person, how their body is built, and how it responds to certain stimuli. I guess... :rofl:

Good luck with your training guys! Happy soreness!!

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
What makes you sore one week might not make you sore the next week, if your body acclimates to it. I think some people acclimate to exercises faster than others. For instance, my arms and shoulders are hardly ever sore (the day after, to a greater degree), even after I've pounded them in the gym. I switch up my workouts on a regular basis to, and hardly have to deal with any soreness in those areas. So I don't attribute soreness to having a good workout, or to progress. I mean, there are plenty of things I can do in the gym that would make my muscles sore, but wouldn't necessarily lead to sufficient muscle overload and growth.

However, I'm almost always sore the day after doing squats, deadlifts, and bent over barbell rows. You have to watch out though, because soreness can be a double edged sword. You have to learn to differentiate muscle soreness from other types of soreness. Personally, I enjoy some muscle soreness. I'm sure I'm not the only one!!

So I guess it depends on the person, how their body is built, and how it responds to certain stimuli. I guess... :rofl:

Good luck with your training guys! Happy soreness getting!